FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment-496/)
-   -   Ideas to improve the "YX" image/experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment/1045985-ideas-improve-yx-image-experience.html)

BlueHorseShoe2000 Jan 30, 2010 10:08 am

Ideas to improve the "YX" image/experience

Since Midwest employees actively monitor this forum, I thought it might be interesting to solicit feedback from everyone here on how the image and overall travel experience on Midwest branded flights could be improved.

Here are some of my ideas:

1) Website.

a. First of all, Republic needs to update the website with new images relating to the actual product. There are still pictures showing the blue cloth seats from the MD80s and the Signature Seats from the 717s.

b. Show alternative airport options when searching for flights. It would be great to see different options for flights in certain markets (LaGuardia vs. Newark; Los Angeles vs. Orange County; Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami, etc.). For some reason, Midwest dropped this feature a few years back.

c. Allow customers more flexibility to make changes to existing reservations, book all levels of award travel, upgrade to premium seats (more on that below), etc.

2) Airport experience:

a. Ensure all "Midwest" employees are wearing appropriate uniforms. In many stations (including MKE) I've seen people behind the check-in and gate agents wearing t-shirts that said Midwest. This looks sloppy and unprofessional

b. Provide more staffing at the ticket counters during peak travel times.

c. Bring back complimentary coffee, tea, and juice at the gates in key airports throughout the route network. How much would this really costs?

d. Offer promotional one-day passes to the Best Care Club. In the past, Midwest occasionally offered $10 passes to the lounge. This could be a way to generate more traffic (and revenue) and perhaps increase the number of annual memberships.

e. Provide regular updates to the customers on flight delays, etc. I've had numerous flights where the agents never made any general announcements and instead were swamped with questions from customers. How hard is it to do this?

On-board:

a. Offering Signature Seats on all E170 and E190 aircraft.

b. Complimentary space available upgrades for Midwest/Frontier elite members.

c. Complimentary beverages to anyone who purchases a signature seat or upgrades on day of departure.

d. Wifi and Direct TV.

e. Stock enough meals/snacks so everyone on the aircraft has a chance to purchase something.

MISC:

If the relationship with Delta is expanded, I'd like to see international destinations as part of the codeshare.

flyYX Jan 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Their Website could be faster for starters. I don't remember it being as slow as it is today. I mentioned this before but I think an interactive route map would also make a big difference for the customer trying to plan a trip online. I would also like mention a change that is working very well.... Midwest employees engaged in online Social Media like Facebook, Twitter and Flyertalk. To me it makes a huge difference. Keep up the good work!

Wisconsin Jan 30, 2010 3:31 pm

I second everything the OP said and would add:

1. I don't need to know who operates my flight. "Midwest operated by Republic" or whatever is confusing. All I want to know is what counter to check-in my bags and what name is on the outside of my airplane. Many companies have a d/b/a name but a casual flier like myself (10-12 flights a year) doesn't need to have the corporate name constantly before me.

2. On the YX website let me select my seat on a codeshare flight at the time of purchase or at least inform me of the codeshare's seat selection policy beforehand. After purchase (!?) I find out I can't select an F9 seat until 24 hrs. before flight!

3. I always thought the "Best Care In The Air" slogan was great but I don't hear it much anymore. On my last few YX flights the pilots and FAs never said it.

4. This isn't really a YX problem but MKE needs to improve maintenance. The last several flights I had the D concourse bathrooms weren't the cleanest. I deplaned at D54 last week and there were computer sheets taped to the walls pointing to the elevator location; just looked cheap, not a good first impression of MKE. I know that side of the concourse hasn't been used for a while so maybe improvements are coming.

Great thread idea!

blucys Jan 30, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm with Blue on the DirecTV and Wi-Fi (although I have never used Wi-Fi on a flight, so I dont know what I am missing)...Wi-Fi might not be as useful on the E170 since I often see people have problems working on their PC's on that plane...It is probably for the iPhone/BlackBerry users who have Wi-Fi enabled phones on those types of planes.

I have to say that the free DirecTV for Executives on the A319's was awesome and I am extremely disappointed to see the A319 replaced by the E190 on that evening flight home to MKE from BOS.

Although I was not affected, it sounds like getting planes and crews qualified to fly in fog is something that is necessary...I never realized the impact that fog could have.

BlueHorseShoe2000 Jan 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by blucys (Post 13291364)

I have to say that the free DirecTV for Executives on the A319's was awesome and I am extremely disappointed to see the A319 replaced by the E190 on that evening flight home to MKE from BOS.

The A319 will be back on the MKE-BOS route this spring...it's simply too much capacity during the dead of winter.

RSVP Jan 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000 (Post 13288185)
On-board:

a. Offering Signature Seats on all E170 and E190 aircraft.

Let's not forget the 319s.

azstar Jan 31, 2010 8:35 am

"Stretch" and "Signature" seating is available on all 318's, 319's, 320's, and E190's at this time. Upgrades are available for free to F9 Summit members, YX Elite, and AirTran Elite members. Summit members can reserve seats at booking time. The others can upgrade at checkin if they display their Frequent Flier Status cards.

I'm sure YX/F9 websites as well as computer systems will be consolidated later this year.

MikeFromMKE Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wisconsin (Post 13289813)
1. I don't need to know who operates my flight. "Midwest operated by Republic" or whatever is confusing. All I want to know is what counter to check-in my bags and what name is on the outside of my airplane. Many companies have a d/b/a name but a casual flier like myself (10-12 flights a year) doesn't need to have the corporate name constantly before me.

This is something required by the government so that passengers always know who is operating their aircraft.

I would love for Wifi to be added. Once you've tried it you don't want to fly without it. It's a great way for business travelers to keep in touch with the office and get work done while traveling.

RSVP Jan 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by azstar (Post 13293560)
"Stretch" and "Signature" seating is available on all 318's, 319's, 320's, and E190's at this time. Upgrades are available for free to F9 Summit members, YX Elite, and AirTran Elite members. Summit members can reserve seats at booking time. The others can upgrade at checkin if they display their Frequent Flier Status cards.

STRETCH and Signature seating are two different things.

STRETCH simply offers additional legroom, similar to an exit row seat configured 3x3. Signature Seats are 2x2, with more legroom and somewhat wider. That makes a big difference IMO.

blucys Jan 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP (Post 13296503)
STRETCH and Signature seating are two different things.

STRETCH simply offers additional legroom, similar to an exit row seat configured 3x3. Signature Seats are 2x2, with more legroom and somewhat wider. That makes a big difference IMO.

This is a good point...If possible I would like to see the middle seat blocked in the "Stretch" seating area...I am not so much keyed in on getting the wider seats that were available on the 717's, just having that empty seat next to you is convenient.

RSVP Jan 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by blucys (Post 13297049)
This is a good point...If possible I would like to see the middle seat blocked in the "Stretch" seating area...I am not so much keyed in on getting the wider seats that were available on the 717's, just having that empty seat next to you is convenient.

I too, could find STRETCH much more palatable if the middle seat was empty. In its current configuration, the 18" seat is simply an exit row seat.

If they don't want to go through the trouble of converting to a 2x2 arrangement, simply block the middle seat.

BlueHorseShoe2000 Jan 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP (Post 13297116)
I too, could find STRETCH much more palatable if the middle seat was empty. In its current configuration, the 18" seat is simply an exit row seat.

If they don't want to go through the trouble of converting to a 2x2 arrangement, simply block the middle seat.

Lufthansa does this on their intra-Europe flights. It works out quite well IMO.

ziplexva Feb 1, 2010 9:59 am

Responding to web site improvement ideas

In response to BlueHorseShoe2000's ideas for web site ideas I wanted to comment on the alternative airport feature.

b) The alternative airport options would be a nice feature. Currently the site has hidden functionality which supports metro codes, i.e., NYC, ORL, WAS, etc. This lets users type in "NYC" for New York City area airports and the auto-suggest feature doesn't show it but it works.

BlueHorseShoe2000 Feb 1, 2010 1:08 pm

[QUOTE=azstar;13293560 Upgrades are available for free to F9 Summit members, YX Elite, and AirTran Elite members. [/QUOTE]

Is this accurate?

I didn't think Midwest was giving elite members free space available up-grades.

Do gate agents re-assign elite members to the premium section if seats remain avaialble at time of departure?

blucys Feb 14, 2010 4:02 pm

How about creating a preferred seating area for Executives on the E170...There isnt an exit row, so it is the same seating throughout the plane...How about blocking off the first 4 rows for preferred seating?

To go along with this...Would it be possible to give 3 or 4 inches of extra legroom for these 4 rows...would that mean losing a full row of seats in the back and taking the capacity down to 72?

The first suggestion I think is relatively easy to implement, but the second is definitely questionable.