What gives with 1969?

Old Jan 18, 10, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Question What gives with 1969?

Received my email today reminding me of upcoming flight, YX 1969. When checking its' performance today, I see it went to Tulsa instead of MCI, and that yesterday it was just cancelled. I really would like to get to MCI for my connection there. Is this going to happen?
Old Jan 18, 10, 4:41 pm

It seems that some flights are being diverted to Tulsa, because of the thick fog in Kansas City. Most likely the fog will clear out by tomorrow, so you should be good.

Don't know about yesterday's cancellation.
Old Jan 18, 10, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyAir View Post
It seems that some flights are being diverted to Tulsa, because of the thick fog in Kansas City.
I'm glad you brought up fog. Are Republic pilots and aircraft Cat III certified?

How about the Frontier operation?
Old Jan 18, 10, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
I'm glad you brought up fog. Are Republic pilots and aircraft Cat III certified?

How about the Frontier operation?
Republic pilots are CAT I, planes are CAT II. I think the Frontier pilots are either CAT II or CAT III, not quite sure though.
Old Jan 18, 10, 6:09 pm

Republic pilots are CAT I, planes are CAT II. I think the Frontier pilots are either CAT II or CAT III, not quite sure though.
Why don't you see if you can get us a definitive answer to that?
Old Jan 18, 10, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

It seems that some flights are being diverted to Tulsa, because of the thick fog in Kansas City. Most likely the fog will clear out by tomorrow, so you should be good.

Don't know about yesterday's cancellation.
Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 18, 10, 8:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
These tweets from an unhappy, weather-delayed YX customer, who was ultimately able to fly out on F9, might provide some insight; can't say if fog-related, however.

http://twitter.com/Truebluedp

Another tweet:

http://twitter.com/btkennett

Last edited by mke9499; Jan 18, 10 at 8:54 pm
Old Jan 18, 10, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
Wow...That is poor...I didnt realize that...What have the arrivals been like into Milwaukee the last couple of mornings and evenings...All I hear on the local weather is talk about "freezing fog"...which makes me think this cause problems for un-certified pilots.
Old Jan 19, 10, 3:51 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by mke9499 View Post
These tweets from an unhappy, weather-delayed YX customer, who was ultimately able to fly out on F9, might provide some insight; can't say if fog-related, however.

http://twitter.com/Truebluedp

Another tweet:

http://twitter.com/btkennett
Poor customer service - interesting to note that one of the passengers was able to get a flight out on WN!

BTW I seem to recall that Air Tran pilots are Cat III certified.
Old Jan 19, 10, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post

AirTran aircraft and crews are Cat III certified.
Old Jan 19, 10, 6:39 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by blucys View Post
Wow...That is poor...I didnt realize that...What have the arrivals been like into Milwaukee the last couple of mornings and evenings...All I hear on the local weather is talk about "freezing fog"...which makes me think this cause problems for un-certified pilots.
I remember waiting on a very foggy day at MKE a number of years ago, along with hundreds of other YX customers, unable to depart, while customers on other airlines were able to reach their destinations. Ultimately, my plans had to be cancelled.

Hopefully, expanded certification is in the works for Republic.
Old Jan 19, 10, 8:03 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
It is. Before the aquisitions the main expanded training projects were financial based ones. Such as installing Electronic Flight Bags and weight and balance programs. Things that affected the bottom line on a daily basis. Now things like CAT II qualifications are becoming high priorities. I believe I heard they are seeking approval to start the process.
Old Jan 19, 10, 1:05 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Not all. Got stuck in TPA waiting for a backup pilot who was Cat III certified because of fog in ATL. The scheduled pilot was not. Missed my connection. FL blamed weather. I blamed pilot training.
Old Jan 19, 10, 6:15 pm
Company Representative - Midwest Airlines

Location: Oak Creek, WI The views I express here are not necessarily supported by Republic Airways Holdings or its codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions.
I feel bad for passengers which are inconvenienced due to pilots and/or aircraft not being certified to land in zero visibility. However, I don't believe airlines are obligated to disclose to passengers whether their crew and/or aircraft are CAT I, II or III. My opinion is that the average domestic frequent flier couldn't list off the top of their heads which airlines are certified to land in low-to-zero visibility. That last statement is not a throwdown, it's just an opinion.

Perhaps airlines should be required to disclose this during the booking process in order to allow passengers to factor in constraints when shopping. I'm a strong advocate for merchant transparency (no pun intended) and after seeing the complaints come across twitter in the last two days I ask myself what can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively to set clear expectations with passengers until a long term solution can be implemented.

The answer certainly isn't to add it to the contract of carriage (if it's not already there).
Old Jan 19, 10, 6:40 pm
Company Representative - Midwest Airlines

Location: Oak Creek, WI The views I express here are not necessarily supported by Republic Airways Holdings or its codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions.
Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
Poor customer service - interesting to note that one of the passengers was able to get a flight out on WN!

With all due respect, Customer Service and CAT I, II or III certification have zero correlation. If it did, Midwest Airlines would not have rocked the Zagat Awards for 8 consecutive years.

I'm the person who communicated with one of the pax stuck in MCI via Twitter yesterday. As bad as I felt for the passenger, there was nothing I could do for him beyond walking into the Customer Relations Dept. and asking for someone to call him. I understand that he eventually received a call from the manager.

My tweet to him was 100% honest when I said that I couldn't guarantee him someone would call him back after he DM'd his phone number to me. I was painfully aware that I was giving him a less than ideal response to his plea for help, but I didn't want him to put all of his eggs in one basket. My answer was frank and truthful, and in turn he sought other means to get to his final destination. Within a matter of minutes Southwest came to his rescue. I'm very disappointed that I couldn't be a hero for him, but Twitter has not evolved into a full-proof channel to resolve every irregular operations related problem.

I think 2010 is going to be a very interesting year with respect to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube as it relates to customer service. My hopes are that we have at least one person monitoring Twitter 24x7, and that person has the ability to modify reservations, as well as issue refunds and waivers. This will not happen in the immediate future for reasons I won't get into now, but I'm fighting for it. Twitter is a tool that can be used to enhance what comes natural for all Midwest gate, ticket, call center and Web helpdesk agents, which is award winning customer service year after year.

Last edited by bluethunder; Jan 19, 10 at 6:52 pm

Search this Thread