Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bedford's "Foot in mouth" comments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
You're certainly allowed to do so. I recognize that the views I've been expressing here the last couple of days are not shared by most participants. In some respects that's a good thing as this forum would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything.

Perhaps I'd have a different point-of-view if I still lived in Milwaukee.
We that live here know it is true... Milwaukee is not a destination city in terms of Las Vegas or Orlando. But, he went on to say "You don't go there unless you have to.". That is wrong in my book... People come here because they choose too. Informed vacationers that are looking for off the beaten path type of things to do will choose Milwaukee for that very reason. So Bryan can say what he wants, but Milwaukee is a destination by choice! Visit Milwaukee took the right kind of attitude and actually are asking "what can we do to fix this?". I like Bryan because he doesn't beat around the bush a lot, so some good can come out of this for sure. Most of us including the local media has moved on.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by flyYX
We that live here know it is true... Milwaukee is not a destination city in terms of Las Vegas or Orlando. But, he went on to say "You don't go there unless you have to.". That is wrong in my book... People come here because they choose too. Informed vacationers that are looking for off the beaten path type of things to do will choose Milwaukee for that very reason. So Bryan can say what he wants, but Milwaukee is a destination by choice! Visit Milwaukee took the right kind of attitude and actually are asking "what can we do to fix this?". I like Bryan because he doesn't beat around the bush a lot, so some good can come out of this for sure. Most of us including the local media has moved on.
Bryan clearly does not understand Milwaukee. Lots of people visit Milwaukee often ( like me ). Milwaukee has it's own charm. Will it ever be a cosmopolitan mecca like Boston, Chicago or San Francisco? No, but that is what makes Milwaukee special, it has it's own little midwestern charm.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:37 pm

Here's more insight into Bryan Bedford from the Denver Post...

Nine years ago, Bryan Bedford decided to bring God to work with him.

"We've been building a business together ever since," said Bedford, chief executive of Republic Airways, which recently acquired Frontier Airlines.

Bedford has infused his Christian faith into Republic's vision statement and believes it has made the company stronger.

Republic employees may be used to Bedford's tack, but as new members of the Republic family, a number of Frontier workers find it jarring — as do some outsiders.

"It worries me that the environment created by the boss feels like: If you're not with Jesus, you're not on board with Republic," said Buie Seawell, an ethics and legal-studies professor at the University of Denver and a Presbyterian minister.

Bedford says he doesn't try to convert anyone or require faith as an employment litmus test.

But he also says he isn't shy about sharing his religious faith along with his faith in Republic's business plan in company newsletters — signing them: "I pray for God's continued blessings on our families and our airline."

"This tells you where I come from, what makes me tick, and this is what I believe and what the company value system is," Bedford said.

Republic's vision statement says, in part, "every employee, regardless of personal beliefs or world view, has been created in the image and likeness of God."

Some might reel at the mention, but others say it doesn't cross the line.

As the statement doesn't mention Christianity, "there is no reason why that couldn't have been written by someone who is Jewish," said Mark Silverstein, legal director of the Denver office of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Silverstein said Bedford has a right to express his values to company employees as long as he complies with statutes protecting religious freedom.

A devout Catholic, Bedford said he decided nine years ago to avoid compartmentalizing his life by being one person at work, another at home and another on Sundays.

"I needed to be a whole person in all facets of my life each day," he said.

There is a big trend globally to build businesses on religious foundations of integrity, character and trust, said Steve Stanley, chief executive of Christian Business Leaders.

The Texas-based organization helps develop "spiritual business statesmen out of business leaders," Stanley said, "where their public and private conduct is guided by the same principles and values."

DU's Seawell said he's uncomfortable with mixing business and religion, that principles such as respecting co-workers are "universal values."

"God would be pleased if we did that without doing it in his name," Seawell said.

Bedford said in a recent newsletter that he was sure the vision statement reference to God was getting a "fair amount of debate."

"Gasp . . . He talks about God in public and to his employees," mused Bedford, 48.

Some Frontier workers who want to remain anonymous out of concern for their jobs said they have been stunned by Bedford's writings. "Very bizarre!!" one wrote to The Denver Post.

There have been a few complaints, Bedford said, but he also has heard from 300 Frontier employees whom he described as grateful for his words.

Bedford doesn't limit himself to religious views. He also writes on issues that don't directly affect the airline.

Several years ago, Bedford created what he calls a "community dialog" in Republic's home base of Indianapolis when he wrote about abortion.

"This is more than words on a sheet of paper," Bedford said. "God is an important contributor to our business, and there is more going on here than flying airplanes."

On Internet pilot forums, where Bedford is referred to as "Rev. BB," some pilots question how Bedford's "cutthroat" business practices jibe with his expressions of religious faith.

Bedford shrugged off the comments.

"Business is competitive," he said. "I think Scripture quoters — and I'm not — would refer to parables about using your talents, that we each have gifts and are called on to use these gifts to our fullest potential."

Ann Schrader: 303-954-1967 or [email protected]
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:47 pm

And he's generous too...

Basic Compensation
Name ....................Fiscal Year Total
Bedford, Bryan ...........2,046,380
Cooper, Robert.......... 1,433,130
Menke, Sean --
Heller, Wayne............ 1,433,820
Allman, Joe --
Cohen, Lawrence --

The executives get industry leading pay while he reduces the pay for the Frontier and Midwest employees to the industry lowest pay.

Frontier Airlines workers critical of new cross-company pay-standardization scale
By Ann Schrader
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/30/2009 12:13:52 PM MST

Frontier baggage handler Tammy Jenkins loads a plane at DIA in October. Management says it plans to review pay concerns and make changes if needed. (RJ Sangosti, Denver Post file photo )
Frontier Airlines customer service agents and baggage handlers — stung by a new pay scale they say amounts to a pay cut — are letting leadership know they're not happy.

Managers said they will review the pay concerns through the next week or so with the possibility of adjustments that are "right and necessary."

The new pay guidelines aim to standardize Frontier, Midwest Airlines and Republic Airways on compensation as the three systems integrate, Frontier officials said.

Indianapolis-based Republic acquired Midwest on July 31 and Frontier when it emerged from bankruptcy on Oct. 1.

"The new pay scale will give some employees an immediate raise when it becomes effective on Jan. 1, and no one will

(Kenneth D. Lyons, Denver Post file photo )see their pay cut," spokesman Peter Kowalchuk said Tuesday in a statement.

Under the new plan, some employees who have long tenures would see their pay frozen until the scale catches up through incremental increases.

"They see that as a pay cut," Kowalchuk said. "We understand their concern, and we are re-evaluating the pay scale."

As part of Frontier's bankruptcy, the carrier's 5,000 employees took pay cuts of 10 percent to 20 percent that would be reinstated when the airline returned to profitability, said Frontier employees who did not want their names used out of concern for their jobs.

"These were promises, and they were broken," one employee said in an e-mail obtained by The Denver Post.

Prior to bankruptcy being filed in April 2008, customer service agents and baggage handlers received $17.51 per hour after 11 years on the job. Currently, top pay is $15.76 per hour.

The new pay scale calls for customer service agents and baggage handlers in Denver to top out at $13.90 per hour beginning Friday.

"That is a slap in the face to every employee that worked so hard to get us through bankruptcy," one employee wrote.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_

Last edited by n735; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:10 pm

Doesn't anyone want to talk about the 20% paycut Bedford gave to the senior gate agents and rampers?

At one time these were decent jobs that paid more then McDonalds. They are still decent jobs at SWA, Delta, .... I respect the Southwest model of running an airline, but can't respect the actions of Bryan Bedford.

Do FF expect airline employee to sacrifice so you can get more miles?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
Originally Posted by n735
Do FF expect airline employee to sacrifice so you can get more miles?
I fail to understand how the pay level of gate agents has any impact on the miles that frequent flyers earn...please explain.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:16 am

[QUOTE=n735;13155200]Doesn't anyone want to talk about the 20% paycut Bedford gave to the senior gate agents and rampers?QUOTE]

Apparently not.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:10 pm

[QUOTE=newsmanhoss;13157706]
Doesn't anyone want to talk about the 20% paycut Bedford gave to the senior gate agents and rampers?QUOTE]

Apparently not.
Did Bedford take a pay cut? I recall TH cutting his own pay in 2008.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:54 pm

[QUOTE=RSVP;13161199]
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss

Did Bedford take a pay cut? I recall TH cutting his own pay in 2008.

No, but he made less then THs 10+ million for 2008 from TPG/NWA.

Basic Compensation
Bedford, Bryan........... 2,046,380
Cooper, Robert ...........1,433,130
Menke, Sean --
Allman, Joe --
Cohen, Lawrence --
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:05 am

[QUOTE=n735;13161465]
Originally Posted by RSVP

No, but he made less then THs 10+ million for 2008 from TPG/NWA.

Basic Compensation
Bedford, Bryan........... 2,046,380
Cooper, Robert ...........1,433,130
Menke, Sean --
Allman, Joe --
Cohen, Lawrence --

Didn't realize this Rev. BB also make more in stock options.

Options Compensation
Name..................... Options....................... Value
Bedford, Bryan....... 1,326,625 .................12,314,410
Cooper, Robert .........655,670 ...................4,331,960
Heller, Wayne........... 397,748................... 2,619,338

I think BB needs to read a little more about being a good c......... man.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:37 pm

Republic stock fell almost 40% since Rev. BB made his "foot in the mouth" comments.

RJET $4.89

Investors are running from this stock. Start planning on flying AirTran for your FF miles.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
Republic stock fell almost 40% since Rev. BB made his "foot in the mouth" comments.

RJET $4.89

Investors are running from this stock. Start planning on flying AirTran for your FF miles.
Airtran has fallen something like ~15% since announcing record earnings and profitability...What is up with that?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:08 pm

I think BB decided to stop speaking to the press to keep his "foot out of his mouth".

From a Feb 9, 2010 article...

It has always been difficult getting information out of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc. Ask any analyst covering the company how difficult it is. That may simply be its strategy on how to handle inquiring minds. But this is a public company, one that has attracted much interest in the last few years as it loaned out millions of dollars to partners, later acquiring both Midwest and Frontier airlines and 10 ERJ 190s in return...

What happens beyond 2012?

Republic's lack of transparency just deteriorated further when it failed to webcast CEO Bryan Bedford’s remarks before the Raymond James Airline Growth conference last week. Instead, it offered up the Power Point presentation, which was almost a mirror image of the presentation given in December at the NextGen conference, but not quite. See related report: Republic Airways provides clearest vision yet of consolidation strategy

Bedford revealed much about what it was doing with its growing empire in December and, last week, in a press release announced the death of Lynx Aviation – no surprise there – and the return of its Q400s which are being replaced with the ERJ 170s and 190s. The aircraft will be flying to more far flung markets than those served by the Q400s although all but two points have been dropped from the system. See related report: Q400s out of Frontier, Embraers in

But perhaps the transparency afforded in December troubled the airline enough to make it decide not to webcast the Raymond James speech.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:53 pm

This maybe the reason Republic Airways stock has tanked in the last 6 weeks. The biggest investor (Wexford Capital) has pulled out.

Amendment No. 1 to Schedule 13G modifies and supplements the Schedule 13G initially filed on March 26, 2009 (the “ Statement ”), with respect to the common stock, par value $0.001 per share (the “Common Stock”) of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”). Except to the extent supplemented by the information contained in this Amendment No. 1, the Statement, as provided herein, remains in full force and effect. Capitalized terms used herein without definition have the respective meanings ascribed to them in the Statement. This amendment is being filed to reflect that the Reporting Persons no longer own any securities of the Company.

Item 4. Ownership

Provide the following information regarding the aggregate number and percentage of the class of securities of the issuer identified in Item 1.

(i) Wexford Catalyst Investors LLC
(a) Amount beneficially owned: 0

(b) Percent of class: 0%

(c) Number of shares to which the person has:

(i) Sole power to vote or to direct the vote: 0

(ii) Shared power to vote or to direct the vote: 0

(iii) Sole power to dispose or to direct the disposition of: 0

(iv) Shared power to dispose or to direct the disposition of: 0

(ii) Wexford Spectrum Trading Limited

(iii) Wexford Capital LP

(iv) Charles E. Davidson

(v) Joseph M. Jacobs

Item 5. Ownership of Five Percent or Less of a Class

If this statement is being filed to report the fact that as of the date hereof the reporting persons have ceased to be the beneficial owner of more than five percent of the class of securities, check the following ž
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: N23344
This maybe the reason Republic Airways stock has tanked in the last 6 weeks. The biggest investor (Wexford Capital) has pulled out.
[/I]
Maybe one of your more interesting finds.

Could this be a move Bonderman created?
Is TPG still financing part of the American/JAL deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.