FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment-496/)
-   -   Midwest going downhill - just me or? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment/1025479-midwest-going-downhill-just-me.html)

pmaddock Dec 9, 2009 7:55 am

Midwest going downhill - just me or?

Is Midwest just going off a cliff or is it just me?

I flew with YX this week and it was just a mess flying DFW-MKE-DSM. Here's the details:

DFW-MKE flt -
a. aircraft got substituted with a Republic. The Republic plane was clearly visible but the GA decided to wait till about 25 min before the flt to announce the aircraft change givign a general announcement that if you checked in online you needed to go to the podium to re-check your seat assignment. The result was a total zoo as half the flt lines up at the podium. From the looks of it less than 10 people actually had seat changes - they should have called names.
b. Aircraft was a disaster - armrests were falling off - they had to use duct tape to do quick repairs. My seat recline was stuck at about 1/4 recline but I kept quiet as it was a full flight so I would have probably been kicked off.
c. net result was flt was late but made up time in air so only 10 minute late landing at MKE.
MKE - DSM
a. flt delayed - FA missed connection.
b. Back up FA arrived at MKE but didn't show -apparently ripped her pants. Don't most FA's carry a small change of clothes/uniform?
c. GA's had no info - all they did was keep moving out departure time in 10 minute intervals.
d. took nearly 2 hours to finally get an FA.

I realize that the FA situation was Murphy's law but the Republic jet really worries me. If they own Midwest and that's their idea on how to keep up a plane - Midwest and Frontier are in real trouble.

Some good points:
1. DFW ticket agent gave me a pass on being 2 lbs overweight on my bag. (yes, I'm lazy - too used to not worrying about bag weight on DL).
2. The BCC people are wonderfully helpful. After the GA finally relented on insisting we stay at the gate the BCC people monitored the flt and let me know when it was finally time to go.

Side note:
I see the 'Midworst' thread but it seems to be off talking about lightning issues so I decided to start a new thread.

cwe84 Dec 9, 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by pmaddock (Post 12953990)
Is Midwest just going off a cliff or is it just me?

I flew with YX this week and it was just a mess flying DFW-MKE-DSM. Here's the details:

DFW-MKE flt -
a. aircraft got substituted with a Republic. The Republic plane was clearly visible but the GA decided to wait till about 25 min before the flt to announce the aircraft change givign a general announcement that if you checked in online you needed to go to the podium to re-check your seat assignment. The result was a total zoo as half the flt lines up at the podium. From the looks of it less than 10 people actually had seat changes - they should have called names.
b. Aircraft was a disaster - armrests were falling off - they had to use duct tape to do quick repairs. My seat recline was stuck at about 1/4 recline but I kept quiet as it was a full flight so I would have probably been kicked off.
c. net result was flt was late but made up time in air so only 10 minute late landing at MKE.
MKE - DSM
a. flt delayed - FA missed connection.
b. Back up FA arrived at MKE but didn't show -apparently ripped her pants. Don't most FA's carry a small change of clothes/uniform?
c. GA's had no info - all they did was keep moving out departure time in 10 minute intervals.
d. took nearly 2 hours to finally get an FA.

I realize that the FA situation was Murphy's law but the Republic jet really worries me. If they own Midwest and that's their idea on how to keep up a plane - Midwest and Frontier are in real trouble.

Some good points:
1. DFW ticket agent gave me a pass on being 2 lbs overweight on my bag. (yes, I'm lazy - too used to not worrying about bag weight on DL).
2. The BCC people are wonderfully helpful. After the GA finally relented on insisting we stay at the gate the BCC people monitored the flt and let me know when it was finally time to go.

Side note:
I see the 'Midworst' thread but it seems to be off talking about lightning issues so I decided to start a new thread.

I will try to go over these issues. I realize that some of these items are our fault and we do own those faults...

A. I think what you ment to say is that it was generic Republic Airways plane. We use it for both US and YX operations. This plane was originally owned by MidAtlantic Airlines until they were sold to Republic Airlines. The GA handling of the situation I cannot say why they didn't do what you suggested.

B. I worked on that plane two days ago and yes there are a couple of armrests that are in the process of being replaced. Thanks to some of your fellow travelers that sit there and pick at the rubber until it comes off. Embraer has only come up with replacing the whole armrest. However the contractor that makes them is having a hard time making them. The recline on your seat is another problem that Embraer is having a hardtime fixing. The seats are being replaced in a few months once the contractor can fill the order.

B. No we don't keep an extra change of uniforms. I think the only ones that do are the Asian carriers. Short of a few F/A's most will only carry the uniform that they are wearing for their trip.

C. Again thats the particular agent. They were told the info and chose not to relay it.

D. Call out time for a reserve F/A is 90 minutes from first call of notification.

Just a FYI all Midwest flights are operated by Republic, Chautauqua or Frontier. There are no MidWest airplanes left.

We do not skimp on our exterior aircraft MX as some on here would like to suggest. I think most people will realize that using speed tape (it is different from duct tape) to quickly fix a problem is better than delaying an aircraft for what could be days for a whole armrest replacement. Also after the flight you should have mentioned the problem to the F/A, MX would have flipped the lock so it wouldn't recline. Our company gives any flight crew member the right to refuse to fly an unsafe plane. I assure you that our aircraft are safe to fly.

tvnwz Dec 9, 2009 1:45 pm

I have had no trouble on any flight operated by Republic. Everything ran smoothly.
I did--and still do--have a problem with one round trip to OMA not getting credited to my DL account.

That's it.

RSVP Dec 9, 2009 4:35 pm

Duct tape on an aircraft is not an unusual sight.

Several years ago at FLL, a Midwest MD-80 was ready for departure, however, there was an overhead bin that wouldn't close. The captain called for maintenance (Delta) the bin was taped shut and we were on our way.

I'll take a quick fix for a simple problem any day rather than waiting for maintenance to repair it.

lougord99 Dec 9, 2009 4:43 pm

Everything you said is correct, except that duct tape is not a usual sight. Duct tape is an acceptable FAA means of walling off an unusable part of the aircraft. But if you are regularly seeing this, then you are seeing planes in worse shape than I am.

n735 Dec 9, 2009 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 12957367)
Everything you said is correct, except that duct tape is not a usual sight. Duct tape is an acceptable FAA means of walling off an unusable part of the aircraft. But if you are regularly seeing this, then you are seeing planes in worse shape than I am.

I agree. Duct Tape is unusual and should not be seen regularly. It's a sign maintenance is being delayed for some reason. I've seen it used maybe once every five years.

UA787 Dec 9, 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by n735 (Post 12958215)
I agree. Duct Tape is unusual and should not be seen regularly. It's a sign maintenance is being delayed for some reason. I've seen it used maybe once every five years.

Seriously dude, do everyone a favor and just stop posting on this site. You have the most worthless posts of all time. Republic is just as safe as every other US carrier because they all follow the same rules.

n735 Dec 9, 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA787 (Post 12958232)
Seriously dude, do everyone a favor and just stop posting on this site. You have the most worthless posts of all time. Republic is just as safe as every other US carrier because they all follow the same rules.

No, I like posting on this site. Airlines do have minimum standards. Some airlines carry spare parts and some use duct tape.

I think the FAA minimum standard is that duct tape can be used for ten days on a arm rest.

MikeFromMKE Dec 9, 2009 10:29 pm

That would technically be an FAA maximum, but your point is taken.

Duct tape is used for quick repairs on non-essential parts to avoid delaying departure. As cwe84 stated, they are aware of the issues with the armrests and currently working them out with the manufacturer.

ja_user Dec 9, 2009 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by n735 (Post 12958349)
No, I like posting on this site. Airlines do have minimum standards. Some airlines carry spare parts and some use duct tape.

I think the FAA minimum standard is that duct tape can be used for ten days on a arm rest.

I really don't care what the FAA standard is. I see Duct tape on every carrier I fly, of course, I have only flied 4 carriers... But they were all US based, and you know how we like our duct tape...

I welcome the maintance coming onboard with the roll, as opposed to calling the flight off because a Microphone doesn't work.

flightattendantsteve Dec 9, 2009 11:45 pm

B. No we don't keep an extra change of uniforms. I think the only ones that do are the Asian carriers. Short of a few F/A's most will only carry the uniform that they are wearing for their trip.

D. Call out time for a reserve F/A is 90 minutes from first call of notification.

Ewww.... You could be on a 4 day trip wearing the same uniform???? Not even a fresh pair of pants or shirt?? That's just NASTY.... :td:

Doesn't RJet (YX if you wanna call it that) have "Ready/Hot Reserves" sitting at the airport in the event of a stranded or delayed crew member?? To keep another flight on time instead of delaying pax???

uavking Dec 10, 2009 2:47 am

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve (Post 12959502)
Ewww.... You could be on a 4 day trip wearing the same uniform???? Not even a fresh pair of pants or shirt?? That's just NASTY.... :td:

4 days is too much for you? Hmm, you'd be surprised to learn that a fair number of service academy cadets (supposedly America's best and brightest) go months on the same daily class uniform. Heck, I knew a few guys who went all four years on the same unwashed trousers. Granted, I preferred to send my stuff out at least every other week, but to each their own.

Anyways, back to the regularly scheduled topic...

cwe84 Dec 10, 2009 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve (Post 12959502)

Doesn't RJet (YX if you wanna call it that) have "Ready/Hot Reserves" sitting at the airport in the event of a stranded or delayed crew member?? To keep another flight on time instead of delaying pax???

First of all most of us wash our uniforms at the hotel. Secondly its no worse than say a business man wearing the same suite over and over without sending it to the cleaners. Third if we are wearing a shirt we are required to wear an undershirt and most of us carry two or three of those... We do have hot reserves she was the one that ripped her pants...

n735 Dec 10, 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ja_user (Post 12959318)
I really don't care what the FAA standard is. I see Duct tape on every carrier I fly, of course, I have only flied 4 carriers... But they were all US based, and you know how we like our duct tape...

I welcome the maintance coming onboard with the roll, as opposed to calling the flight off because a Microphone doesn't work.

Flied?

mke9499 Dec 10, 2009 7:41 am

Originally Posted by cwe84 (Post 12960504)
... if we are wearing a shirt we are required to wear an undershirt and most of us carry two or three of those...

I really hope you are only referring to male FAs. :)