Redeeming on Midwest?

Old Nov 30, 09, 7:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Winter wonderland.....
Posts: 116
Redeeming on Midwest?

I was evidently under a mistaken impression that there was supposed to be more availability to use your miles once Midwest had an alliance with Northwest/Delta & now Republic. I remember e-mails with things such as 'more places to use your miles' 'more choices for you' etc. However, when I view my account and attempt to book NUMEROUS dates over the next 9 (NINE!) months at no point is there ANY availability for me to book using miles (Madison to Las Vegas). I have tried varying dates, doing one way trips, etc. Everything comes up as no date available and nothing either one day ahead or behind.

Is there any EASY manner of actually figuring out WHEN you can book using Midwest miles and is there any manner to book via Delta or Republic using miles?
jgates8 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 09, 9:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sussex, WI
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
Posts: 151
There is no way to redeem miles on "Republic"...Your only options are on a Midwest branded flight, Frontier or Delta...I have never tried to redeem on Frontier, so not sure what to tell you there, but the only way to redeem miles on Delta is call the Midwest Miles desk and talk to an agent.
blucys is offline  
Old Dec 2, 09, 7:02 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Winter wonderland.....
Posts: 116
Sorry - I meant Frontier - shouldn't type when I am overtired. They have about the most unfriendly travel award booking system that has ever been created!
jgates8 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 3:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Midwest Miles Stall Tactic

Trying to use my (soon to expire) Midwest Miles for a Delta flight. Have to do it by phone to the MW Miles help desk, only open 9-5. After several days of not being able to get through, I decided to focus on it last Monday - Called 27 times before I got through the busy signal, but then waited 1 hour and 45 minutes with no answer - (only the recording telling me, among other things, how to get miles for free travel). Best Care in the Air apparently does not extend to the ground.

I suspect that they're going to wear me down and stall until the miles run out. Used to be a great airline.
traveljack is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 5:00 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,653
That's obviously pretty crappy. The large majority of my redemptions are companion tickets, which you still have to call for (I really wish that would change. I've waited up to 40 minutes but usually quite a bit less than that. (That's the regular Midwest Miles number. I rarely call the Midwest Miles Executive number unless I'm in a pinch even though I'm MME because it kind of seems so, well, un-egalitarian...just like I almost never board early or use the exec security line unless I really need to.) Mondays...especially Monday mornings...do seem the worst time to call, so you might have better luck midweek.
knope2001 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 7:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,653
I just called in on the regular number (800 452 2022) and chose the options to get to the partner award travel booking. I dialed in (12/16/09) at 8:03am CST and had an agent by 8:07am. It warned me that the wait may exceed 20 minutes, but I got in in four.

The "weekdays from 9 to 5" seems odd as I got someone right after 8...and if you mean 9 EST, it would seem strange that would mean it closes at 4 central which doesn't make sense.. However, at any rate, if you try now you'll probably get in quickly.

Last edited by knope2001; Dec 16, 09 at 7:23 am
knope2001 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 7:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MKE
Posts: 2,161
Originally Posted by traveljack View Post
Trying to use my (soon to expire) Midwest Miles for a Delta flight. Have to do it by phone to the MW Miles help desk, only open 9-5. After several days of not being able to get through, I decided to focus on it last Monday - Called 27 times before I got through the busy signal, but then waited 1 hour and 45 minutes with no answer - (only the recording telling me, among other things, how to get miles for free travel). Best Care in the Air apparently does not extend to the ground.

I suspect that they're going to wear me down and stall until the miles run out. Used to be a great airline.
Telephone wait times to Midwest for any reason have been unacceptable since the cutbacks of 2008.

I can call AirTran with little or no waiting. Why can't Midwest deliver the same level of customer service? I thought it would get better since the Republic purchase, but there is really no change.
RSVP is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 7:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,653
Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
Telephone wait times to Midwest for any reason have been unacceptable since the cutbacks of 2008.

I can call AirTran with little or no waiting. Why can't Midwest deliver the same level of customer service? I thought it would get better since the Republic purchase, but there is really no change.
I didn't think four minutes was so bad this morning.

There are scores of res jobs coming to Milwaukee, and I suspect that there will be a consolidated pool here serving both Midwest and Frontier. That will hopefully help. Bedford stated that a goal is to increase the amount of sales coming through direct means including reservations...which most airlines are generally discouraging.
knope2001 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 7:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by knope2001 View Post
(That's the regular Midwest Miles number. I rarely call the Midwest Miles Executive number unless I'm in a pinch even though I'm MME because it kind of seems so, well, un-egalitarian...just like I almost never board early or use the exec security line unless I really need to.)
Gasp...are you sure you're a real FlyerTalker
BlueHorseShoe2000 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 9:09 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,653
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000 View Post
Gasp...are you sure you're a real FlyerTalker
I know, I know...it's kind of pathetic I suppose.

In years of low-work-travel I have occasionally taken a mileage run just to keep my MME status, but then I don't use all the MME benefits. It just sort of seems not right to make everybody else wait in line while I push ahead when I dont need to. It definitely is nice when I'm running late, though! And other benefits like the 50% mile bonus, the any-open-seat award, and the 5,000 or 10,000 once-per-yearl discount on award travel all are big benefits to me.
knope2001 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 10:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TPA-MKE-PHX
Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Posts: 1,893
Mileage redemption---to me---has always been somewhat of a joke. I think in the last five years I have only redeemed one ticket in about 50 tries. The biggest head scratcher was on a trip I had to take to MKE>TPA four years ago. No awards availability. I pay for a comparitively cheap ticket ($220 round trip) and the plane is literlly half full. Half full and I could not coax an award ticket.

My one--and only--successful attempt was snagging a last minute reward to MCI. Packed plane.

Go figure.
tvnwz is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 10:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,335
Like knope, I typically redeem for companion tickets because it is a better value at 20,000 for a round-trip.

I tend to book award travel extremely far in advance, sometimes as far as 11 months in advance. Due to my extreme vacation habits, I've been able to get almost an award seat on nearly any flight I want. I have also had pretty good success without planning as far in advance on more business oriented routes.

The leisure routes are tough, however, especially if they are not booked way in advance.
newsmanhoss is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 11:05 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 3,601
Originally Posted by tvnwz View Post
Mileage redemption---to me---has always been somewhat of a joke. I think in the last five years I have only redeemed one ticket in about 50 tries. The biggest head scratcher was on a trip I had to take to MKE>TPA four years ago. No awards availability. I pay for a comparitively cheap ticket ($220 round trip) and the plane is literlly half full. Half full and I could not coax an award ticket.

My one--and only--successful attempt was snagging a last minute reward to MCI. Packed plane.

Go figure.
In the "olden days," YX would sometimes check to see if additional award space could be opened, if my selections were not available. If projections indicated low loads for the subject itinerary, additional award space would be opened to accommodate my request. I don't know if YX is still offering this accommodation.

Something that I had not experienced, until just recently, was the total blackout of a flight for award travel, due to the "low capacity" of the aircraft (E170). I checked back later and was advised that award travel would be available for the route, but during what would be essentially an off-peak period. The choice award option was not even viable for my MKE-FLL itinerary during the holidays.

Speaking of the FLL service, there has been a real advertising push for the reinstated MKE-FLL route. Radio and tv spots are running and billboards placed around MKE promoting the service. Are they have problems filling the FLL seats during non-holiday periods?
mke9499 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 11:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TPA-MKE-PHX
Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Posts: 1,893
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
I tend to book award travel extremely far in advance, sometimes as far as 11 months in advance
But, why should you have to? My tries have been three to four months out.
Unlike Midwest, I can get a DL reward anytime. Now, I might pay tons of miles to do it, but I can at least use them. Now they are just sitting there.
tvnwz is offline  
Old Dec 16, 09, 12:22 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by tvnwz View Post
But, why should you have to? My tries have been three to four months out.
Unlike Midwest, I can get a DL reward anytime. Now, I might pay tons of miles to do it, but I can at least use them. Now they are just sitting there.
You're right...You shouldn't have to. But, that's the name of the game with airline miles. Very easy to earn, but often difficult to redeem. And it's not just Midwest.

That's why I have switched nearly all of my credit card spending to the FlexPerks card. I earn free flights faster, and can buy reward tickets on any airline through Travelocity. It's the equivalent of paying with cash...you even earn miles on the reward ticket.
newsmanhoss is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread