Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest regaining market share in MKE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Midwest regaining market share in MKE

From the Milwaukee Business Journal:

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2009/11/02/story1.html?b=1257138000^2360281

"After steadily losing passengers over the past year to rival AirTran Airways, Midwest Airlines regained market share at General Mitchell International Airport in September.

Midwest’s market share at the Milwaukee airport stood at 35.4 percent in September, up from 33 percent in July and August.

Meanwhile, AirTran’s market share slipped to 24.5 in September after climbing to a record-high of nearly 27 percent in August, according to figures provided by Mitchell officials."
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2009/11/02/story1.html?b=1257138000^2360281

"After steadily losing passengers over the past year to rival AirTran Airways, Midwest Airlines regained market share at General Mitchell International Airport in September.

Midwest’s market share at the Milwaukee airport stood at 35.4 percent in September, up from 33 percent in July and August.

Meanwhile, AirTran’s market share slipped to 24.5 in September after climbing to a record-high of nearly 27 percent in August, according to figures provided by Mitchell officials."
You beat me to it, Blue. Here is full story:

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/mil...8000%5E2360281
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Must be why Bob and Kevin from FL were so cranky about Midwest during the Q3 results meeting and the "We'll give it another year" comment. They are unsure about the future of MKE for FL. They don't have a very good poker face if you ask me.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
I think there is some things you can read into this...With the addition of flights Midwest was able to gain back market share and from the looks of Knope's load reports they are probably making more money (as they are using much cheaper crews and planes)...I would think that this gives them more motivation to add more flights to MKE as it seems that they are able to pull passengers from FL.

Now, what will the market share look like for November with Southwest in the mix...Who are they going to pull passengers from? Will the total pie increase as has been talked about in other threads with the thought that Southwest will pull more people from ORD/MDW up to MKE.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flyYX
Must be why Bob and Kevin from FL were so cranky about Midwest during the Q3 results meeting and the "We'll give it another year" comment. They are unsure about the future of MKE for FL. They don't have a very good poker face if you ask me.
Cranky is your characterization. I read the transcript of the 3Q results, and I would call it good natured ribbing of the competition.

Besides, Air Tran posted another profitable quarter for 3Q, this despite a brutally competitive environment and the worst economy since the last depression.

Hmmm, Republic's 3Q is due out when?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by blucys
Now, what will the market share look like for November with Southwest in the mix...Who are they going to pull passengers from?
Two thoughts :

1) Wait 'til Southwest gets into MKE.

2) Market share is not a very meaningful metric; you can fill planes but if your doing it at a loss, so what? Midwest had a dominant market share but they lost money hand over fist.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Cranky is your characterization. I read the transcript of the 3Q results, and I would call it good natured ribbing of the competition.

Besides, Air Tran posted another profitable quarter for 3Q, this despite a brutally competitive environment and the worst economy since the last depression.

Hmmm, Republic's 3Q is due out when?
RJet's page is set up on frames,
http://www.republicairways.com/investorrelations.html

Republic Airways Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: RJET) announced today it will hold a conference call to discuss financial results for the third quarter of 2009. The conference call will be held Thursday, Nov. 5, 2009 at 10 a.m. EST
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000

I bet that is not a statistically significant change. If it is it must have a small effect size

Is anyone going to the Southwest Milwaukee events if so take pics? I won't be flying WN to MKE until December
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Tim34
Is anyone going to the Southwest Milwaukee events if so take pics? I won't be flying WN to MKE until December
I have passes for "Touchdown Milwaukee" at the McKinley Marina on Sunday. I went past today, while they were setting up, and it looks like it's going to be a first class affair. I understand that Gary will be there.

As of today, they are accepting no more RSVPs, as they have reached capacity.

http://luv.southwest.com/servlet/for...Media%20Access

A charter flew in today with 90 employees to get the show off the ground; look for lots of hype over the next two or three days!

Sunday morning festivities start at MKE at 6:45 AM, with WN offering media "interview opportunities with customers, crew, and employees," as well as a photo op of the first WN flight boarding and departing MKE.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:17 pm

Article in this Sunday morning's Journal Sentinel, discussing the arrival of Southwest, the changes at Midwest, and the evolving competitive landscape at Mitchell.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/68119802.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.