Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$5 "SuperSaver" parking at MKE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

$5 "SuperSaver" parking at MKE

Driving to MKE today I noticed parking signs on the Aiport Spur changed to show remote parking rebranded as "SuperSaver" parking for $5, a reduction from the previous $8/day. The branding appears to be an in-process task because the freeway spur signs have the new logo, but the entrances to remote parking itself are not rebranded yet. The MKE website parking page shows it, but in the detailed section below it still speaks of "remote" as $8/day.

I'd guess two key reasons stand behind this:

(a) Marketing, especially to Northern Illinois residents, to differentiate costs. If they just wanted to reduce the remote parking cost there's no reason to create a new branding and logo for remote parking.

(b) Increasing the difference between daily garage ($12) and remote ($5) will encourage more people to use remote and take some pressure of the parking structure. Peak travel periods pretty much filled the daily section of the structure in the past, and they need to plan for the additional passengers expansion will bring. The amount of capacity planned for January is likely real overkill, but spring break or next summer could be a different story. Regardless of concerns about the upcoming expansion being profitable or even long-term sustainable, the traffic that could plow through MKE next summer could be crushing and the airport needs to plan for it as best they can.

On a side note from my drive to MKE this morning, has anybody else noticed the Southwest billboard on the airport spur? A plain goldenrod billboard with fhree dots, tagged Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Baltimore, connected one to the next, and the Southwest name. That's about it. If the visual says anything, it makes it look like Milwaukee is simply a stop between Kansas City and Baltimore. For a company known for an irreverant, out-of-the-norm image and unique marketing and a sense of fun, I was absolutely dumbfounded.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
(a) Marketing, especially to Northern Illinois residents, to differentiate costs. If they just wanted to reduce the remote parking cost there's no reason to create a new branding and logo for remote parking.
Do you really think if someone drives to MKE from Northern Illinois they are concerned about saving a few bucks on parking? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but think that things like fare, flight options, and easy navigation of the airport itself would be more compelling reasons.

As for advertising, I haven't seen the new Southwest billboard yet. However, there have been plenty of other advertising with all of the increased competition, some of it rather amusing. One of my favorites had to do with the recent food/wine festival held at the Midwest Airlines Center which was sponsored by Southwest. It was kind of funny to see both names in one ad.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:12 pm

Driving to MKE today I noticed parking signs on the Aiport Spur changed to show remote parking rebranded as "SuperSaver" parking for $5, a reduction from the previous $8/day. The branding appears to be an in-process task because the freeway spur signs have the new logo, but the entrances to remote parking itself are not rebranded yet. The MKE website parking page shows it, but in the detailed section below it still speaks of "remote" as $8/day.

On a side note from my drive to MKE this morning, has anybody else noticed the Southwest billboard on the airport spur? A plain goldenrod billboard with fhree dots, tagged Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Baltimore, connected one to the next, and the Southwest name. That's about it. If the visual says anything, it makes it look like Milwaukee is simply a stop between Kansas City and Baltimore. For a company known for an irreverant, out-of-the-norm image and unique marketing and a sense of fun, I was absolutely dumbfounded.
I saw the new "SuperSaver Parking" signage on Howell Ave this afternoon and wondered what is was; they need to do a more complete job to promote the remote lots and inform the public of the lower rate - especially we "economical" Milwaukeeans.

Speaking of airline billboards, has anyone else noticed the FL billboard on I-94,
southbound over the highrise bridge? The verbage says something to the effect that FL is the "official" carrier for away games. An image of a football player, with the name "Driver" clearly visible across the back of his jersey, is displayed (presumably Donald Driver of the Green Bay Packers, who has done spots for the airline). If it is indeed supposed to be Donald Driver, he sure is not wearing Packer green and gold. Has Driver been traded to the Cowboys?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:14 pm

The $5 parking has to do more with the surrounding competion. For the last few month FastPark, which is located on Howel Ave right across from the airport has been running a $5/day promotion. For the first few weeks no other surrounding parking lots matched. Now though it seems everyone else has matched, including the airport itself. FastPark keeps changing the promotion, first it was "Summer Special" now its something like "Fall Special." I'm sure the airport was losing alot of business to the surround companies, seeing as how the they are all alot closer and faster than the remote lot of the airport.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Those same billboard ads are on the city buses. My favorite SW commercial on TV is where the baggage handler is yelling at an AirTran plane taxiing out to the runway... "why do you charge for bags!?". The italic A was digitally blocked out, but you could still make out part of the A.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
The $5 parking has to do more with the surrounding competion. For the last few month FastPark, which is located on Howel Ave right across from the airport has been running a $5/day promotion. For the first few weeks no other surrounding parking lots matched. Now though it seems everyone else has matched, including the airport itself. FastPark keeps changing the promotion, first it was "Summer Special" now its something like "Fall Special." I'm sure the airport was losing alot of business to the surround companies, seeing as how the they are all alot closer and faster than the remote lot of the airport.
The surrounding competition is the reason for the change. Both FastPark and Economy Airport Parking have lowered their rates to $5/day (FastPark started it first). The airport lowered it's economy long-term rates to stay competitive and keep the revenue "bleed" to minimum.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
Speaking of airline billboards, has anyone else noticed the FL billboard on I-94,
southbound over the highrise bridge? The verbage says something to the effect that FL is the "official" carrier for away games. An image of a football player, with the name "Driver" clearly visible across the back of his jersey, is displayed (presumably Donald Driver of the Green Bay Packers, who has done spots for the airline). If it is indeed supposed to be Donald Driver, he sure is not wearing Packer green and gold. Has Driver been traded to the Cowboys?
Here's the reason for that. AirTran's sponsorship deal is not with the Packers or the NFL....it's with Donand Driver. As such, they cannot use any NFL or Packers material in the ad. So, what you end up with is a generic photo with Driver wearing a generic uniform.

On the radio spots talking about Driver, he is never referred to as a Packer. He's always just "Donald Driver."
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by flyYX
Those same billboard ads are on the city buses. My favorite SW commercial on TV is where the baggage handler is yelling at an AirTran plane taxiing out to the runway... "why do you charge for bags!?". The italic A was digitally blocked out, but you could still make out part of the A.
The blurred out plane in the WN ad looks like a UA* CRJ to me...

As for the parking, FastPark comes out the winner. I first tried them recently due to their $5/day promotion...turns out they really do have a superior product, in terms of shuttle frequency, pickup/dropoff at your car, free water, and a rewards card. I'll continue to use them even if they go back up to their standard $7.50/day rate.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
As for the parking, FastPark comes out the winner. I first tried them recently due to their $5/day promotion...turns out they really do have a superior product, in terms of shuttle frequency, pickup/dropoff at your car, free water, and a rewards card. I'll continue to use them even if they go back up to their standard $7.50/day rate.
I agree. I use them frequently, although this winter I may switch back to Mitchell's regular long-term parking since it's a parking ramp. FastPark does not have covered parking, and I"m not interested in clearing snow off my car after a trip.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I agree. I use them frequently, although this winter I may switch back to Mitchell's regular long-term parking since it's a parking ramp. FastPark does not have covered parking, and I"m not interested in clearing snow off my car after a trip.
Thats the reason I park in the ramp in the summer... sorta
I don't want to have to worry about a freak thunderstorm dropping hail and denting my car.
So if you see someone wandering about level 4 swearing to themselves, thats probably me.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
So if you see someone wandering about level 4 swearing to themselves, thats probably me.
Consistancy is the name of the game! Level four, yellow, as near to the west elevator as possible is where you'll find me. The only stumbling block is when 4 is closed for routine work. Then all bets are off.

As for the SuperSaver parking, it's confirmed today that it is a rebraning of the remote parking lot. Regardless if the #1 reason for doing this is to compete with private parking rates, or to lure the most frugal flyers, or whatever, the (likely) benefit of taking pressure off of the parking structure daily section is a plus. It's a Tuesday afternoon in late October and the daily parking structure shows 87% full.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:20 pm

Consistancy is the name of the game! Level four, yellow, as near to the west elevator as possible is where you'll find me. The only stumbling block is when 4 is closed for routine work. Then all bets are off.

As for the SuperSaver parking, it's confirmed today that it is a rebraning of the remote parking lot. Regardless if the #1 reason for doing this is to compete with private parking rates, or to lure the most frugal flyers, or whatever, the (likely) benefit of taking pressure off of the parking structure daily section is a plus. It's a Tuesday afternoon in late October and the daily parking structure shows 87% full.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:31 pm

Just have to ask...why Level 4? I am always Level 3, north side, right in front of middle doors to moving sidewalk. Except for Jan when had to go to level 5. Froze my carry-on off getting down to moving sidewalk.

Last edited by luvs2shop; Oct 28, 2009 at 11:36 pm Reason: luv ya all
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luvs2shop
Just have to ask...why Level 4? I am always Level 3, north side, right in front of middle doors to moving sidewalk. Except for Jan when had to go to level 5. Froze my carry-on off getting down to moving sidewalk.
Not sure where it originated, but habit, I guess.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by luvs2shop
I always try to park in that general area as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.