Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is YX a virtual airline?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP
Many of us carry the A+ rewards card and A+ Signature Visa.
I, too, am a member of A+ rewards and the A+ Signature Visa. I also carry the Midwest Visa, and the US Bank FlexPerks Visa (formerly the NWA WorldPerks Visa). The FlexPerks card is a very powerful travel rewards card actually. I have been pleasantly surprised.

I also belong to the following frequent flyer programs: YX, DL/NW, WN, CO, AA, UA. I'll be flying UA this weekend actually.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
I flew them once several years ago on STL-ATL because decent connections weren't available on United or Midwest.

Being that I'm a 1k on United I wouldn't even really consider flying AirTran (especially not work work as they are not a preferred vendor) unless there was a very compelling reason. I try to fly Midwest when I can, but much of my travel is international these days.
I forgot to mention my wife has top tier status with American and Starwood (I have top status with Hilton). As a result, we normally limit our travel to select airlines.

This has caused a few disagreements over the years when making travel plans! Midwest has been the tie breaker more than a few times.

Only a FlyerTalker would understand....
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tim34
Where to and what where your experiences like? Also how often do you fly Airtran instead of flying Midwest?
Between MKE and ATL when Midwest isn't available, including a YX cancel reroute, although that was back before the interline agreement was severed. The onboard has been okay, although the 717 coach pitch is really tight.

As for airline brass spending time online on message boards, there's a definite precident that direction. For about 8 years, the Yahoo message board for Wild Oats Foods included regular harsh posts by a user who turned out to be John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods who eventually bought Wild Oats out at a bargain. The airline industry as much or more "geeked up" as any industry, and people with jet fuel in their veins who work in the industry are prime candidates for online airline communities.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Between MKE and ATL when Midwest isn't available, including a YX cancel reroute, although that was back before the interline agreement was severed. The onboard has been okay, although the 717 coach pitch is really tight.

As for airline brass spending time online on message boards, there's a definite precident that direction. For about 8 years, the Yahoo message board for Wild Oats Foods included regular harsh posts by a user who turned out to be John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods who eventually bought Wild Oats out at a bargain. The airline industry as much or more "geeked up" as any industry, and people with jet fuel in their veins who work in the industry are prime candidates for online airline communities.
Who knows...maybe Tim34 is secretly working up a plan to buy Virgin America.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:13 am

Very funny!

Seriously, I don't mean to suggest that these boards are some direct pipeline into the nerve centers of airline management. But I do think that there are sometimes eyes on a lot of message boards either officially or unofficially.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
My comment about Virgin America not caring about middle America was a reflection of their route map...I had no insight into their strategy or plans.

If they do make it into Chicago (ORD, I am not battling Chicago's traffic to get down to Midway) I may try them out. I often do go down to ORD for International flights (Mainly been loyal to American on those) to avoid the short connection from MKE....Another reason being that after an international trip it almost feels like you are home when you hop in your car at O'Hare, even though you have an hour or so drive after that.

I am not a A+ member, but this is mainly because of selfish reasons...I dont want to start over...I have built up a good relationship with my gate agents in Boston and really have not been upset with the service that I have received from the Republic crews...When I have run into trouble it has been fixed immediately and as a customer that is all I can ask for...There will always be problems, it is a matter of how well they are dealt with.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
I just read the transcript for AirTran's Q3 results and I had to laugh about how they bash Midwest during the call. I love what Kevin Healy said in regards to the Milwaukee expansion.

So we are taking the step. The step began in the spring, and it continues through the fall, and we’ll see what would happens. We’ll give it a year.
We'll give it a year? They are already giving themselves an easy out if things don't go well in MKE.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1679...e=yahoo&page=7

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...nion-on-m.html
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyYX
We'll give it a year? They are already giving themselves an easy out if things don't go well in MKE.
I don't see that as an easy out. They shouldn't bleed themselves dry for the sake of MKE. The market isn't big enough for YX/F9 and FL. One of them will go. I've always felt as if 2010 would be the year that FL likely pulls back. Maybe after the summer schedule. They have 2 gate leases that expire sometime during the summer. Either they are going to re-up those leases and move forward or they are going to let them expire and move on to a different market.

I have no doubt that if FL continues to expand and dump good money over bad in MKE that Republic will pull the YX hub. It would be bad business to keep the hub under those circumstances. Bedford is smarter than that. He doesn't need MKE to survive. If there are signs that FL is going to cut back then he'll move forward. If that doesn't happen then he will pull out.

I know it isn't pleasant but that is business. The market just cannot support that level of service.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Indy
I don't see that as an easy out. They shouldn't bleed themselves dry for the sake of MKE. The market isn't big enough for YX/F9 and FL. One of them will go. I've always felt as if 2010 would be the year that FL likely pulls back. Maybe after the summer schedule. They have 2 gate leases that expire sometime during the summer. Either they are going to re-up those leases and move forward or they are going to let them expire and move on to a different market.

I have no doubt that if FL continues to expand and dump good money over bad in MKE that Republic will pull the YX hub. It would be bad business to keep the hub under those circumstances. Bedford is smarter than that. He doesn't need MKE to survive. If there are signs that FL is going to cut back then he'll move forward. If that doesn't happen then he will pull out.

I know it isn't pleasant but that is business. The market just cannot support that level of service.
Who says these carriers can't exist together? The market is bigger than you think. Don't forget that the Chicago metro has nearly 10 million people...the northern suburbs alone have 2 million. Plus there is more than 2 million in the Milwaukee/Madison areas.

Granted someone may decide to scale back a bit, but to think that YX or FL would just pack up and leave is a little extreme.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Who says these carriers can't exist together? The market is bigger than you think. Don't forget that the Chicago metro has nearly 10 million people...the northern suburbs alone have 2 million. Plus there is more than 2 million in the Milwaukee/Madison areas.

Granted someone may decide to scale back a bit, but to think that YX or FL would just pack up and leave is a little extreme.
I think you can forget about the Chicago market. It hasn't made a difference in decades past and I doubt it will make a difference now. MKE traffic has never been spectacular even with the YX hub operating at full strength. FL isn't going to change that. The two carriers still have to compete over a pretty small piece of pie. Sorry but MKE is just far enough away that ORD is still more convenient to the Chicago market. I don't think that many people are going to deal with the traffic around there to drive all the way up to MKE when every nonstop they could ever want is in ORD or MDW. The MKE traffic numbers over the past few decades speak for themselves.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Indy
I think you can forget about the Chicago market. It hasn't made a difference in decades past and I doubt it will make a difference now. MKE traffic has never been spectacular even with the YX hub operating at full strength. FL isn't going to change that. The two carriers still have to compete over a pretty small piece of pie. Sorry but MKE is just far enough away that ORD is still more convenient to the Chicago market. I don't think that many people are going to deal with the traffic around there to drive all the way up to MKE when every nonstop they could ever want is in ORD or MDW. The MKE traffic numbers over the past few decades speak for themselves.
The only way to count IL travelers at MKE is to count Illinois license plates at the parking facilities, and there has been a considerable increase in the past year.

It should also be pointed out that traffic at MKE in September was up 16% from the previous September, according to airport administration. This is impressive during a recession, and even more impressive when you factor in that this year's September total was even higher than it was in September of 2007, before the recession started.

Southwest will improve that dynamic even more. As I have said before, there are a number of people in Chicago that will only fly Southwest, and they have been asking Southwest to come to MKE for years.

As for the traffic, for people who live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, it's faster and cheaper to use Mitchell than O'Hare. Have you ever made the drive? I have many times. MKE is closer, has fewer flight delays, and has cheaper parking. MKE's stats reflect a growing trend of Illinois travelers using Mitchell.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
I just read the transcript for AirTran's Q3 results and I had to laugh about how they bash Midwest during the call. I love what Kevin Healy said in regards to the Milwaukee expansion.
"You do have the Midwest airlines trying to resurrect itself. If you look at the results for the first half of the year, even in a low fuel environment, they have some pretty disappointing margins if you look at kind of where the pretax margins where for the first six months of the year"

I learn more about Air Tran from this board than the Air Tran board . It's good that Air Tran has its eye on the ball as it were - i.e. the competition. Air Tran has the cost structure to compete against the likes of Midwest (Delta-lite).

Next year will be interesting - no more hiding behind TPG for Midwest.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by hazelrah
"You do have the Midwest airlines trying to resurrect itself. If you look at the results for the first half of the year, even in a low fuel environment, they have some pretty disappointing margins if you look at kind of where the pretax margins where for the first six months of the year"

I learn more about Air Tran from this board than the Air Tran board . It's good that Air Tran has its eye on the ball as it were - i.e. the competition. Air Tran has the cost structure to compete against the likes of Midwest (Delta-lite).

Next year will be interesting - no more hiding behind TPG for Midwest.
No more Delta-lite for you! It is Frontier/Midwest backed by Republic now. I am not sure how long the Midwest experiment will last for Republic but I do know people in MKE and MCI still love Midwest the airline even if some call it a virtual airline.... The brand still commands loyalty. Republic has a window of opportunity for Midwest and I believe they will play their cards right. AirTran sees a big unknown in MKE right now and they have to be a little bit worried. Southwest will start up ops pretty soon and Midwest is in the midst of a major restoration. "We'll give it a year" statement says that and more. Kevin Healy and friends seem to be a little unsure about future competition at MKE to say the least.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
The only way to count IL travelers at MKE is to count Illinois license plates at the parking facilities, and there has been a considerable increase in the past year.

Southwest will improve that dynamic even more. As I have said before, there are a number of people in Chicago that will only fly Southwest, and they have been asking Southwest to come to MKE for years.

As for the traffic, for people who live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, it's faster and cheaper to use Mitchell than O'Hare. Have you ever made the drive? I have many times. MKE is closer, has fewer flight delays, and has cheaper parking. MKE's stats reflect a growing trend of Illinois travelers using Mitchell.
There is a campaign to attract IL travelers to MKE.

Gimmicks, such as http://www.flymke.com/files/images/MKEparkingcoupon.pdf

and good press...

With airfares out of MKE this fall an average of 29 percent lower than last year, nationally recognized MSNBC travel writer Chris Elliott recently ranked MKE atop his list of “top five least expensive destinations for fall travel.”
are part of the effort to lure travelers from across the border.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:58 pm

Very classy of AirTran. I find it amusing that they have felt the need to trash Midwest during every earnings conference call since 2007.

As for AirTran's MKE operations, it's hard to say what the future holds. I do find Kevin Healy's comments about giving the MKE hub "another year" to be an interesting choice of words. While I don't expect a full scale retreat, it wouldn't be surprising to see AirTran dump many of the underperforming routes (BOS/LGA/DCA/IND/PIT/MSP/STL) after next summer or fly them seasonally instead.

The competitive landscape in MKE has changed significantly since this spring and AirTran has to be somewhat concerned about Republic and Southwest crashing the party.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.