Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transports in Jordan (Dead Sea/Petra/Wadi Rum)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold

We are doing a quick trip to Jordan in early October, arrival on the 8th mid-day and departure on the evening of 12th.

Our plan is to get to the dead sea on the arrival day, leave to Petra the next day and spend time at Petra and visit Wadi Rum until returning to Amman airport on the 12th. We are not planning to rent a car (unless recommended) but would need the transports to the dead sea, from there to Petra, Wadi Rum and back to Amman airport. Not sure yet if we'd like to spent a night at Wadi Rum and we could go directly from the dead sea to Wadi Rum and visit Petra on the way back.

Any recommendations how to arrange the transports, just book a taxi at the airport/hotel for each leg? A contact for a tour agency that could arrange them? Or rent a car?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Any of your options would work with no problem.

You can easily take a taxi from the airport directly to the Dead Sea (if you don't arrange it from your hotel), for maybe $40. I would expect to spend about JOD 100 ($140) or less per day for all-day car and driver hire from an agency. If you want to do it cheaper, you can ask pretty much any taxi driver (e.g., the one who takes you from the airport) and he will make either himself or his brother/cousin/friend/etc. available to meet all of your transportation needs. I have done this many times to the Dead Sea, Petra and Wadi Rum, and Damascus, with good success -- the drivers are friendly and honest and speak at least a bit of English.

The taxis won't be an luxurious as a car from an agency, of course, and maybe not advisable for the longer trip to Petra. You could also rent a car and drive yourself for slightly less.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Ok, I guess the comfort-issue would speak for an agency, at least for the Petra / Wadi Rum -apart. Any recommendations for an agency that would do the details through e-mail? We're already on the road..
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ojala
Ok, I guess the comfort-issue would speak for an agency, at least for the Petra / Wadi Rum -apart. Any recommendations for an agency that would do the details through e-mail? We're already on the road..
I just did Amman-Dead Sea-Petra-Aqaba with a private driver last month. I can highly recommend him (I have known him for years), so PM me if you are interested.

But I do think we would have saved money by renting a car. A car + driver should run about 100 - 150JD/day. A rental car can be had for as little as 20 (there are numerous agencies both at the airport and in Amman, and very intense competition -- I can recommend Thrifty down the hill - towards Shmesani -- from the Four Seasons). But you have to decide if you want brave Amman traffic or feel confident about finding your way on your own. Granted, Jordan is pretty easy to drive around -- there are basically only three roads, the desert route, the kings highway and the dead sea route, but it is nice to relax and let someone else do the driving
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: NW plat
We used Jordan Beauty Tours, which was recommended to us by an Israeli tour guide, and had a good experience. The general manager, Sufian Amarat, was anxious to make everything perfect for us. He was born in one of the caves surrounding Petra and was moved to an apartment when the government made them all leave. Very interesting man. Contact info:
[email protected]
www.jordanbeauty.com
tel 962 7 95581644
tel 962 7 77517069
tel/fax 962 3 2154999
Wadi Mousa - Petra
Tourist Str. 71810
P.O. Box 008

It was nearly 2 years ago now, but let me know if you have any questions and I will try to remember the answers. Stay at the Petra Movenpick if possible. Great hotel, perfect location. It was pretty cheap, also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.