Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

I want to see Petra, Jordan - Best way to get there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to see Petra, Jordan - Best way to get there?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
As everyone mentioned flying into Amman would be my choice. Though I came via the ferry to Aqaba. From there I would take a service taxi down. I used service taxis or collectivos for most of my travel around the middle east. You will probably have to take bus/taxi into Amman first though. Good fun as you get to meet other people. Just remember to travel light.

As for places to stay we just picked a local hotel. Much more fun than a stale worldwide chain. Much cheaper as well. I saw Petra without a guide and spent the whole day wandering around. Head up to the Alter of High Sacrifice. Note Febuary can be cold and snowy!!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:56 am

Programs: The usual suspects
I've been thinking of traveling to Jordan to see Petra, and other sites as well. You all have convinced me it's definitely a worthwhile trip, probably flying to AMM. One question - some of my family members are Jewish (I am not). Are there any problems for American Jews traveling in Jordan or Syria? We do not have Israeli visas or stamps on our passports, and having previously visited Israel, wouldn't be returning there on this trip, if that still makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Are there any problems for American Jews traveling in Jordan or Syria? We do not have Israeli visas or stamps on our passports, and having previously visited Israel, wouldn't be returning there on this trip, if that still makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.
As for Jordan, I can't imagine there would be any issues - Jordan and Israel share border crossings, so every day people arrive in Jordan with Israeli stamps. I would definitely get your visas ahead of time. This should smooth things further.

Syria might be a whole other kettle of fish; I can't speak to that as I've never been.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No problems being Jewish or Israeli in Jordan though best not to broadcast the fact. You can get your visa easily on arrival in AMM (assuming you qualify). Just have JOD10 (or the equivalent of USD 15) in cash ready for each person. Go to the counters against the outside wall opposite from immigration booths and get the stamp (picture of the "treasury" at Petra) placed in your passport then go through immigration. If the lines are long, some can line up while the others go get visas.

As aside, I don't think there's a problem visiting other Arab countries (other than Egypt) as a Jew, but there are problems if you are an Israeli or have visited Israel.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Jordan long weekend itin

Day 1 Arrive late evening on bmi
Day 2 Day trip to Jerash and poke around Amman. Dine at the fantastic Fakreldin.
Day 3 Drive to Petra/Wadi Musa via the Kings highway, stopping off to explore crusader castles and Jordan's own Grand Canyon.
Day 4 Explore Petra, including a walk up to one of the high places and a donkey ride.
Day 5 Explore, then drive back to Amman
Day 6 Fly home

Do hire a car, do not bother with tours unless you feel really uncomfortable going DIY. Jordan is friendly, safe and many people speak English so getting help/directions is never a problem. A great intro to the Middle East and a million times more interesting than Dubai.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow this discussion in our Travel->Middle East forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Swanhunter, Fakher al-Din is one of my favorite kabob restaurants in all of Jordan!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:29 am
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
Great information - thanks to all who have posted. Did anyone have problems when renting a car and driving to Petra?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MXS
Great information - thanks to all who have posted. Did anyone have problems when renting a car and driving to Petra?
We had originally intended to take a bus from Amman to Wadi Moussa (the town in Petra) but realized a taxi was only a few dollars more than a couple of bus tickets.

[Hotel doorman: "Bus??!?! No, no my cousin drive you. Much cheaper. Much cheaper. Best price. Cousin Mohammed very safe driver. Much friendly!"]

After seeing scenes like these from the taxi we were glad we left the driving to someone else:

http://flickr.com/photos/geoff_ana-maria/298539972/

http://flickr.com/photos/geoff_ana-maria/298540395/

http://flickr.com/photos/geoff_ana-maria/298540383/

Here's our itinerary from our Jordan trip, near as I can remember:

Day 1: Traveled from Jerusalem to Amman, explored Amman, night in Amman
Day 2: Visited Jerrash, night in Amman
Day 3: Traveled to Wadi Moussa (the town at Petra) & explored Al Beidha ('Little Petra'), night in Wadi Moussa
Day 4: Petra, with tour guide in morning, night in Wadi Moussa
Day 5: Petra, self-guided, night in Wadi Moussa
Day 6: Overland 'Jeep' journey across the desert at Wadi Rum to Aqaba, night in Aqaba
Day 7: Ferry across the Red Sea from Aqaba to Nuweiba on the Egyptian Sinai
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:46 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by gglave
After seeing scenes like these from the taxi we were glad we left the driving to someone else:
Based on your pictures, the traffic was very orderly compared to some of my
driving experience in a few countries.

- the roads look well paved, there are markings on the road and I do not see any
animals on the road...
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you think the driving in Jordan is bad, don't ever go to Cairo.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:36 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
we have a short trip to petra after christmas..will fly to amman (only 40 mins from Beirut anyway) and then drive down directly, spend 2 days wandering around (or lazing in hotel if it's wet) and then drive back slowly.. see a few sights before the evening flight home. will report back afterward on how it goes. for me, being on a tour group is not something i like to do at all, booking this has been really easy.

if you get the jordan visa on arrival.. once you pay and get passport stamped, there is no need to queue up again, just hold the passport open and walk right past the lines for immigration desks to go down to baggage reclaim and customs.

re the syria visa question above.. if US citizen, i think you have to apply in person in washington dc.. a friend recently was denied a syrian visa at the border on that basis.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you think the driving in Jordan is bad, don't ever go to Cairo.
I still have nightmares today about traffic and Cairo. And that was just trying to cross the street

(Eventually I learned the trick: Follow an old man out into traffic.)
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AAdvantage
I would echo seeing Jerash as a nice sight! It is supposedly one of the largest Grecco-Roman sites in the entire world. Quite splendid reconstruction! I would also suggest stopping to see the Medaba Map near Mount Nebo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madaba_Map). It is one of the most important and detailed maps of Byzantine Jerusalem anywhere in the world. You should also try to catch the sunset over the Dead Sea and the Judean Wilderness from on top of historic Mt. Nebo. There is a nice little lookout up there, and on a clear day you can see Jerusalem in the distance. Jerash, Medaba, and Nebo can be done in a (bit of a hurried) day. Petra is fantastic!! Spend at least a day there, and several if possible... Wadi Rum is also supposed to be fantastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_Rum), although I have never been there...

Do enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by abebix
Wadi Rum is also supposed to be fantastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_Rum), although I have never been there...
I'll second that. Here are a few pics of Wadi Rum from my 2000 trip:

http://flickr.com/photos/geoff_ana-m...7594378292011/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.