Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice to Iraqi passport holders: avoid AMM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, OnePass, SPG Gold

A Flight to Nowhere
by Omar Fadhil

Catching any flight from Baghdad International Airport is an extraordinary experience in and of itself, but when the destination of your flight is Amman, Jordan, it reaches a whole different level.

http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/07/iraq_report.php
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Thanks for the post -- this is truly amazing. I have been in Jordan much of the last several months, and noticed the rampant discrimination against Iraqis. The rationale runs the gamut from cultural bias to resentment at all of the (presumably ex-regime) Iraqi money driving inflation in Jordan to more legitimate worries about the strain on the infrastructure imposed by poor refugees.

This being the Middle East, it's not surprising that the discrimination is institutionalized.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please continue to follow this topic in our Travel->Middle East forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TBuzz.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mecabq
Thanks for the post -- this is truly amazing. I have been in Jordan much of the last several months, and noticed the rampant discrimination against Iraqis. The rationale runs the gamut from cultural bias to resentment at all of the (presumably ex-regime) Iraqi money driving inflation in Jordan to more legitimate worries about the strain on the infrastructure imposed by poor refugees.

This being the Middle East, it's not surprising that the discrimination is institutionalized.
"Presumably ex-regime" Iraqi money is not all that it is. There's a lot of current regime Iraqi (and American) money coming into Jordan too.

Approximately 15-20% of Jordan's population today is now Iraqi -- and in February 2003 not even 2% of Jordan's population was Iraqi. That kind of demographic shift -- and subshifts I won't go into here -- being accompanied by ugly outcomes shouldn't surprise anyone.

The short of it is that if the US government had a proper facility in Baghdad to issue all sorts of visas then this author's experience wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.