Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question about long layover in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about long layover in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
Question Question about long layover in Dubai

Hello! I am going to South India with Emirates and will have a very long layover in Dubai. Can anyone tell me if I can go out of the airport and do some sightseeing ? Will they allow me? Thanks in advance.

TEresa
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:07 am
Community Director Emerita

That most likely depends on whether you carry a passport that requires a visa to enter the country. I've entered Dubai very briefly on a layover without any problem.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:41 am

If you're holding a Portuguese passport you'll be fine. A good way to sightsee is on the big bus tour

http://www.bigbus.co.uk/dub/html/dub_our_tours.html
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:36 am

How long is your stop over? Traffic can really suck in Dubai depending on time of day etc. Taxis are pretty cheap too, you wouldnt spend more than 50 euros (MAX) for some guy to drive you around to all the main spots... even then... 50 euros is being generous....
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dubai is not overloaded with things to see and the summers are sweltering. The airport is huge, zillions of shops and restaurants etc, etc. If you have Emirates lounge access they have many free cold and hot high quality food and booze selections.

MisterNice
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
Yes I do have a Portuguese passport. My layover will be from 12.30 am till 3.40 am the next day. I was thinking I could go to the souk and then have the desert safari with dinner which ends at 11.00 pm and ask them to drop me at the airport. The time left I would spend shopping around the duty free.
What do you think?

Oops now I realize I have to book a hotel for the night!!

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:47 am

Do US citizens have to have a visa for entry?

I have a long layover as well heading to Bangalore.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by CMH-traveler
Do US citizens have to have a visa for entry?

I have a long layover as well heading to Bangalore.
US doesn't need a visa either
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:47 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For an even more focused response/suggestions, let me move this to our Travel->Middle East forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Terocas
Yes I do have a Portuguese passport. My layover will be from 12.30 am till 3.40 am the next day. I was thinking I could go to the souk and then have the desert safari with dinner which ends at 11.00 pm and ask them to drop me at the airport. The time left I would spend shopping around the duty free.
What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
I'd recommend the Hilton Dubai Creek for a short stopover, modern, very close to the souks and great views over the creek especially from the ( small ) rooftop pool.

It's more of a business hotel but I usually stay there for a couple of days before heading out to Hilton Jumeirah on the beach. Souks and city centre shopping mall are a 5 minute cab ride away and the desert safari guys will pick you up from there, they're very helpful and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them to drop you at the airport but you'd probably be the last one dropped off.

Just wondering what you'll be do with your luggage while on the desert safari dinner, you'll be ok with a rucksack but I doubt they'd allow any heavy luggage in the car due to the dune bashing.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Terocas
What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
What class of service are you flying? First and Business customers get free layover hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.