Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ministry favors use of Haifa Airport by low-cost airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:56 am
Original Poster

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...131233&fid=942

The airport would need to be expanded before the plan could go ahead.
Dalia Tal 10 Sep 06 09:38
Sources inform ''Globes'' that the Ministry of Transport supports use of the Haifa Municipal Airport by low-cost airlines. The plan would include expanding the airport and making it available for international flights.
In recent years, plans have been promoted for the construction of an airport at Megiddo, paralleling government declarations about the importance of expanding the Haifa Airport. In April, Haifa businesspeople, including tourism operators and industrialists, as well as the Chambers of Commerce of Haifa and the North, expressed opposition to plans to cancel the Haifa Airport expansion.

Several months ago, the Ministry of Transport commissioned a report to decide between expanding the Haifa Airport and building an alternative airport at Megiddo. The ministry says it will make a decision only after receiving the report.

Ministry of Transport director general Nahum Itzkovitz said use of the Haifa Airport by low-cost airlines would lower fares to and from Israel, because the Haifa Airport would be cheaper than Ben Gurion International Airport.

Low-cost airlines use small or secondary airports, rather than large international airports, because of the lower fees.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:58 am
Original Poster

For those who are not familiar with the area, Haifa is about 1 hour drive/train ride from Tel Aviv and 20 minutes more to TLV airport. It is about 2 hours from Jerusalem.
Meggido is about 45 minutes from Tel Aviv and about the same from TLV airport via route 6 (toll).
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
When I was at the Haifa airport about 10 years ago for a domestic flight to Eilat the passenger terminal was a small dumpy building and not much more. I remember it being smaller then SDV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.