Petra

Old May 25, 06, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & *wood
Petra

I'm looking to get some info on going to Petra from Israel. Any Tours that are worthwhile or should I do it indepently? Thanks
Old May 26, 06, 3:37 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
some friends went there last week independently.. they say that renting a car and driving the roads in jordan is an absolute dream
Old Jun 3, 06, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
We used a tour operator

We did a 7 day tour of Israel followed by a 3 day tour of Jordan. After the Israeli part of the tour we were taken to the Jordanian border in a min-van. To cross the border we had to get into a crammed border crossing bus from the Israeli side to the Jordanian checkpoint (1+ minute bus ride) and then walk about 50 yards with our luggage to the Jordanian customs and immigration building. Our Jordanian Tour Guide was inside the customs and immigration building waiting for us and he helped us clear the formalities very quickly. The Jordanian Tour Guide was with us for the rest of the Jordanian part of the tour which included Petra.
Old Jun 5, 06, 1:11 am

http://www.desertecotours.com/Englis...hort_tours.asp

http://www.vh-cms.com/sites/HarimEng...e=jordan1.html

The 2nd link is for "Bein Harim" company which are pretty good and recommended by most hotel concierges in Tel Aviv.
Old Jun 28, 06, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
I'll add to this thread.

What's accomodation like in Petra? We'd stay at least 2 nights.
Old Jun 30, 06, 1:05 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Crowne Plaza is right next to the entrance to the ruins.. no need to stay anywhere else.
Old Jul 2, 06, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Wood gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'll add to this thread.

What's accomodation like in Petra? We'd stay at least 2 nights.
There's also a nice Movenpick there as well.
Old Nov 16, 06, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Streetcar
There's also a nice Movenpick there as well.
What's it liked? I have 3 nts booked. Hoping my AF/KL status gets me the privileges I'm supposed to be accorded.
Old Nov 17, 06, 8:30 am

Programs: NW plat
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What's it liked? I have 3 nts booked. Hoping my AF/KL status gets me the privileges I'm supposed to be accorded.
We were there last week. We only stayed one night. The hotel was fabulous, the rate ($115 incl tax and great breakfast, booked at the hotel's website) was good, and they upgraded us to a junior suite without any request or status on our part. Highly recommended and in the very best location, right next to the entrance of Petra.

We used a small tour operator (Jordan Beauty Tours, they have a web site but we booked through someone in Israel) and that included the taxi to and from Eilat and the tour of Petra.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Nov 5, 07, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Adding a link

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752835
Old Nov 5, 07, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA1P, SWA RR, SPG
Petra day trip

While in Tel-Aviv on business, I visited Petra on a day trip 2 years ago.

The trip was great and I really enjoyed it. I felt like I walked out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Though most of what I saw was facades. You could not really go inside most of the ruins that I saw.

One interesting thing was that though Jordan and Israel have better relations now, many Israeli's have never been to Petra and several were extremely surprised to hear that I had gone.

Actually, though a number of international travelers were in my group, I was pulled out for search at the airport coming and going from Tel-Aviv to Eilat (from where I reached Petra) and also crossing the border. So both Israeli and Jordanian border security were both equally careful to check me carefully.

I highly recommend Petra.
Old Nov 8, 07, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Im interested in going for a day trip from AMM...anyone know the most affordable and trustworthy tour company? What is the price like?
Old Nov 8, 07, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I used International Traders in Amman several years ago. I tried to find them on the internet in the last few months and couldn't, so I don't know whether they are still in existence.

The guide picked us up from the ferry in Aqaba (we were coming from diving in Sharm) in a Mercedes. Got our visas for us in record time. There are loads of great hotels in and near Petra.

Jordan is in a deep financial crisis. Tourism is way down and they have been flooded with refuges from Iraq. When you encounter bedouins at Petra, please buy from them whether you need or want the souvenirs. Jordan has been a great friend of the west and needs our help.
Old Nov 8, 07, 8:34 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Im interested in going for a day trip from AMM...anyone know the most affordable and trustworthy tour company? What is the price like?
A tour company's really not necessary. You can take a prepaid taxi to Petra from the airport (and I am quite sure you can organize a taxi for the day right from your hotel). The cost from AMM when I did it this past February was about USD 100 to get there, and then I went back to central Amman the next day by negotiating with a local Petra taxi driver for about USD 70.

Once you get there you can do your own spin around the site with the help of a decent guidebook--there's no need to pay for a guide. I used the excellent Petra: A Traveller's Guide by Rosalyn Maqsood--it includes great historical info as well as suggestions for hikes in the area, maps, and explanations of everything around the site.

One thing I strongly suggest is spending a night in Petra, rather than doing this as a day trip. Petra is enormous and it is really going to be a shame to spend only a few hours there, as you would be forced to do if you were driving back and forth from Amman in one day. The drive time is about 5 hours total. Seeing Petra involves a lot of walking and a lot of time. It is definitely worth spending two days there.
Old Nov 8, 07, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We arrived in Aquaba from Nuweiba on the "fast ferry". We were at least 3 hours late. We took a taxi to petra. Our driver was very hospitable and took us to a great place for a late snack. We toured Petra the next day and also did "Petra by Night". Although this was a bit touristy it was a highlight of our entire trip. Our driver also helped us with banking and shopping. We used him to take us from Petra to Amman.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: