Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Long Layover Doha Dec ‘22 - no accommodation

Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Good day fellow flyers,

I’m flying from JNB-DOH-EDI on the 15th of December 2022, which was originally a 2 hour layover has now changed to a 10 hour one! Qatar Airways says due to COVID they no longer can provide transit accommodation for flights more than 8 hours and practically all accommodation is booked up! My main question is
a) will more accommodation open up, I.e on booking.com
b) if not, any suggestions of leaving the airport at around 21:00 and grabbing dinner in town somewhere? Any recommendations? And making our way back to the airport
thanks
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

What class of service are you flying? If it is business class, you can use the business lounge. They have sleeping rooms with sofas and comfortable chairs.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

What class of service are you flying? If it is business class, you can use the business lounge. They have sleeping rooms with sofas and comfortable chairs.
thanks! Economy but Have LoungeKey access, but see there lounges have hourly limits(not sure how strictly enforced these are)- was thinking of maybe leaving the airport to kill sometime
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Mjsmithza
Good day fellow flyers,

I’m flying from JNB-DOH-EDI on the 15th of December 2022, which was originally a 2 hour layover has now changed to a 10 hour one! Qatar Airways says due to COVID they no longer can provide transit accommodation for flights more than 8 hours and practically all accommodation is booked up! My main question is
a) will more accommodation open up, I.e on booking.com
b) if not, any suggestions of leaving the airport at around 21:00 and grabbing dinner in town somewhere? Any recommendations? And making our way back to the airport
thanks
If you are able to enter he country take an uber to Souq Waqif, look round, choose a restaurant. I'm a fan of Layali al Qahira - Cairo Nights, serving well prepared Egyptian food at attractive prices. Lots more spots, some smarter, lots a lot more expensive. Keep your eye on the time and head back for coffee in the lounge

You could use the metro, but maybe time isn't on your side.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you are able to enter he country take an uber to Souq Waqif, look round, choose a restaurant. I'm a fan of Layali al Qahira - Cairo Nights, serving well prepared Egyptian food at attractive prices. Lots more spots, some smarter, lots a lot more expensive. Keep your eye on the time and head back for coffee in the lounge

You could use the metro, but maybe time isn't on your side.
I've been hearing rumours that Doha Metro will be running 24/7 during the FWC period, let's see if it comes true.

A 15-minute ride from Hamad Airport to Msheireb is not a bad idea too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.