Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

First time to Riyadh and Jeddah

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Hi All

It looks like that work will bring me for a few days into Saudi, for the first time ever for me despite having lived in Qatar and UAE for a few years.

I have the option to split my time as much as I like between the two cities, or might be able to skip Riyadh at all. I've heard that Jeddah is much nicer as its at the sea and a bit more liberal.

Would you skip Riyadh completely if you could? What would you recommend if you have half a day to spend in either city - I can happily stay at the pool though. Any key things to know for either city?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
I can imagine why this would be a difficult discussion. Jeddah overall has a lot more character and the vibe is definitely much more laid back. However I would still try to spend a day in Riyadh. My reasons for doing so would be slightly different though - as someone who lived in Riyadh before the 'liberalization' began, I am curious to get a sense for how things have changed.

In terms of specific things to do though, the winter months have more events & activities so the timing of your trip can affect the decision. The summers in Riyadh never proved to be much of an issue given how dry it is but wandering around during the day is still unpleasant. One thing I can think of immediately is to visit the Ad Diriyah historic district on the outskirts of the city. Wandering around Sulaimaniyah or Olaya in the evenings can be nice too and it isnt that bad even in the summer months.

Ro
Old May 11, 2022, 9:12 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In Jeddah, you could check out Al-Balad, the city's old downtown, with some façades made of Red Sea coral.

Now that I think about it, that's really Jeddah's "only" downtown, as the rest of the city's main thoroughfares consist of endless strip malls and take-out coffee.

Might I also recommend jet skiing on the Red Sea; the temperature is always pleasant on the water.

Jeddah's a flat commercial hub, so if you want some elevation and rugged natural beauty, try to arrange a day trip to Taif.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Another vote for Jeddah, though with temperatures approaching 50 degrees yesterday (and it's still only May), any day-time wandering will be trudging around malls; maybe Balad or the Corniche well into the evening. The Hamra Corniche (in front of the Ritz Carlton) is the more "traditional" one, the one with the King Fahd fountain; there are loads of hotel in the area but the Crowne Plaza is a reasonably priced option. The more extensive, newer, corniche is around the Hilton.

Parts ofJeddah, particularly to the south, have been devastated by the city authority's "redevelopment" plan which means that many square kilometres of housing and commerce have been flattened, and the rubble of apartment blocks and businesses has yet to be cleared: it's truly depressing - looks like a war zone. So be aware that addresses you have of businesses, restaurants or galleries may no longer exist.

Balad has been spared, and it has to be the only outdoors, non-corniche part of the city worth spending time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.