Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going to DOH for World Cup?

Going to DOH for World Cup?

Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Personally, I've decided to do nothing right now, and just wait and see. I'll probably station myself in Dubai, as I've already booked hotels through December there, so I'll just fly from there if I still decide to go, and figure it out as the days go by.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:52 am

AA

Just booked on AA for the first US group game. 145k return. 115k on the 20th and 30k on the 23rd. Both in Y
Old May 3, 2022, 12:48 pm
wsc

What have people done for accommodation?

Im coming from UK, booked in direct with BA!
Old May 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Do fully vaccinated US citizens traveling from US need a pre departure PCR test?
Old May 4, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lrbenko
Do fully vaccinated US citizens traveling from US need a pre departure PCR test?
Short answer appears tp be YES. But the situation can change at any time.

lrbenko likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:08 am

England playing USA in World Cup the day after thanksgiving is going to be mahem in US. Everyone is off work and with family. sportsbetting3.com has US getting through the group in to the knock out stages. Could not have worked out better with them for coming together as a country for the biggest sport in the world.
nnn likes this.

Last edited by Muzzar4; May 17, 2022 at 11:47 am
Old May 24, 2022, 9:55 am

Any more insights on this?

I can buy a package at around $5k/person for prelims in a decent hotel with 3 tickets including direct QR flights. So about $10k for 2.

Or should I take my chances - piecing it together myself. Resell tickets for the same matches are about &1500 ($250/person x 3 matches) + flight $2000 + hotel ???
Old May 26, 2022, 1:17 am
wsc

waiting to see what this is
Old May 26, 2022, 4:12 pm

It's past 11AM but no news. Or is it the youtube thing on shuttle flights?
Old May 27, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I am sure I am missing something. Has no one has commented on this?

News item from Paddle Your Own Kanoo: Kuwait, Saudi and Qatar airways are among those that will provide 160 day-trip flights from Dubai, Jeddah, Kuwait City, Muscat and Riyadh for fans who cannot find lodging in Doha. One hundred and eighty flights a day?? 160 in and 160 out? The idea is to fly in in the morning, see your match, and then back to some other part of the Gulf for the night.

Is this a recipe for chaos?? Even if Doha Airport can handle the flights, what will immigration look like? Or are we just going to pass on that formality?

Many fans would probably rather sleep in the airport, especially if they have back-to-back matches to watch…

I must be missing something. Please ‘splain me.

Last edited by spainflyer; May 27, 2022 at 10:54 am Reason: To get the numbers right!
Old May 31, 2022, 11:32 pm

What if I base in UAE(US passport holder) and only fly to DOH on game days, does it mean I have do PCR tests every time i fly to DOH and back to UAE?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:14 am

Been trying to book accomodations but it seems like FIFA has blocked out the entire city and you have to book directly through them with your ticket number.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:43 am

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-releases/2022/May/Match-Day-Shuttle-Flights.html?activeTag=Press-releases

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/match-day-shuttle.html

During the announcement, the CEOs of Qatar Airways, Saudia, Kuwait Airways, Oman Air, and Flydubai were all present to show the world how warmly the Middle East and Arab world welcomed the first-ever World Cup. Every day of the tournament, 60 flights from the UAE, 40 flights from Saudi Arabia, 48 flights from Oman, and 16 flights from Kuwait will run from five cities in four countries: Dubai, Jeddah, Riyadh, Kuwait City, and Muscat.

The tickets will be accessible solely to World Cup ticket holders, and fans must arrive five to six hours before kickoff. For the duration of their stay in Qatar for the FIFA World Cup 2022, all ticket holders will require a Hayya Card, which will provide them with free transportation to and from stadiums through the Doha metro. From Muscat, prices start at US$258 for economy class and US$998 for business class.

Last edited by tamag0; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:11 am
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
All very interesting and mildly encouraging, but does anyone have the answer to the question I posed at #25, above: What in the world will immigration look like at the Doha Airport, and upon return to the various countries / airports around the Gulf? There will be passports from all over the world, some of which can be read electronically and some that can't. Also, the requirement that all passengers hold tickets to the game(s). This sounds to me like the makings of a snafu that dwarfs the recent chaos in Paris at the Champions League final. Can anyone re-assure me on this??
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:02 pm

I've read interest in actually paying for ordered tickets and attending the WC is low and likely to remain low. Many packages remain unsold and the ticket payment period has been extended by a week. Too complicated and too expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.