Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just visited Muscat, Oman from UK [and USA]

Just visited Muscat, Oman from UK [and USA]

Old Nov 25, 21, 10:29 am
Community Director

OMAN requires a QR code with our Covid test. It is Thanksgiving. We used a home test from Quidel today. We both tested negative but they are unable to provide the QR code. I read last night that travelers were unable to enter Egypt because they did not have a QR code for their Covid test. Will we be able to fly as far as Doha, take the test at the airport where we have a lengthy layover, then fly onto Muscat?
Old Nov 25, 21, 11:51 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Will we be able to fly as far as Doha, take the test at the airport where we have a lengthy layover, then fly onto Muscat?
Qatar has advised we will not be able to board without the QR code. We think we have tracked down a local testing facility where we can get our test tomorrow and pay an additional $25 for the QR code.
Old Nov 26, 21, 2:04 pm
Community Director

Qatar has advised we will not be able to board without the QR code. We think we have tracked down a local testing facility where we can get our test tomorrow and pay an additional $25 for the QR code.
Done. We had to pay a lot of money for one hour results plus $29 to get a QR code but it was worth it to be assured of being allowed to fly. I've now filled out the Traveler Registration Form and been approved. I've also downloaded the Qatar Airlines form that permits them to collect Covid 19 PCR test results and filled it out to submit at the airport.

Have I overlooked anything?

Will I have to purchase an Omani SIM card on arrival even though my phone roams worldwide? I have no idea how to replace the SIM card in my iPhone.

What are the mask requirements in Oman?
Old Nov 27, 21, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Our US-T-Mobile and European SIM-using phones worked to roam within Oman, but it was like stretches of slow 2G data speeds for much of when outside of Muscat and Salalah. Even as this was prior to the pandemic, I would assume it’s no worse now than then.

Between the roaming on the US and European SIMs and free Wi-Fi at various Omani retailers and other spots, I didn’t find any need to buy Omani SIMs for short visits.
Old Nov 28, 21, 9:31 am
Community Director

Before we checked in at LAX with Qatar, we needed to show the agent:
  1. Oman visa
  2. Proof of Covid vaccination
  3. QR code from our Covid test
  4. Confirmation that we had a hotel booked in Oman
  5. Signed form that allowed them to collect Covid data
  6. Proof that we had paid for necessary fees covid19.emushrif.om website (ours explicitly showed that our fee was -0-
  7. Our traveler registration form
  8. Proof of medical insurance - we have a family plan with MedJets that gives us evacuation should we require hospitalization for Covid. This was accepted
We were asked for Tarassud+ app but I explained that we were unable to register without a local number. The agent let this pass.

We had paper copies of everything to show the agent and it still took close to 15 minutes to check in.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Nov 28, 21, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
  1. Oman visa
  6. Proof that we had paid for necessary fees covid19.emushrif.om website (ours explicitly showed that our fee was -0-
  8. Proof of medical insurance - we have a family plan with MedJets that gives us evacuation should we require hospitalization for Covid. This was accepted
We were asked for Tarassud+ app but I explained that we were unable to register without a local number. The agent let this pass.

We had paper copies of everything to show the agent and it still took close to 15 minutes to check in.
Holy smokes. It was so much simpler when I visited in 2019. I hope you'll have time to visit Jebel Akhdar. Do some rock climbing!

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 29, 21, 2:36 am
Community Director

Arrival in Oman was simple compared to check in at LAX.
  1. Show visa to immigration
  2. Join a queue at side of baggage claim. Show that we had TRF to enter a line for those who had them, then sent to one of several agents checking them. Stamped and permitted to enter country.
We did not have to buy a local SIM card, which pleased me greatly.

We did not need to use the Tarassud+ app.
@dhuey, love the picture! It is stunning.
dhuey and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Nov 30, 21, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I applied two weeks ago directly through the official ROP eVisa website and received my 30-day visa within seconds. No need for most to go through a third party service that will charge extra as the process was pretty straight forward.
Old Nov 30, 21, 11:57 pm
Community Director

Masks must be worn outside hotel rooms and when not eating. There is near universal compliance. We saw online that failure to comply can result in a $6500 fine. I'm not sure whether that actually occurs.
Old Dec 2, 21, 7:56 am

That is interesting that LAX agents are so strict. I flew Qatar Airways from SEA. I provided them the CDC vaccine card, emushrif registration printout, and COVID test result from State of Utah (with a State seal) without QR code. Agent had no problem accepting these as all they need. This matches what IATA's database says about "tests approved by local authorities." It is interesting though that the Utah State uses Abbott's ID Now for travelers which is NAAT, but the result clearly says it is RT-PCR method. I thought PCR is a subset of NAAT method?
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 21, 4:16 am

1. Oman visa

Holy crap, that is definitely far more involved than any country we've flown to in past two years. And we travel every month. With that said thank you very much for the details!

Arrival in Oman was simple compared to check in at LAX.
  1. Show visa to immigration
  2. Join a queue at side of baggage claim. Show that we had TRF to enter a line for those who had them, then sent to one of several agents checking them. Stamped and permitted to enter country.
We did not have to buy a local SIM card, which pleased me greatly.
Thank you again for follow-up. Matches my experiences that the more paperwork one is asked for at flight origination check-in, the less actually ever asked for upon destination arrival

Originally Posted by jason1991 View Post
That is interesting that LAX agents are so strict. I flew Qatar Airways from SEA. I provided them the CDC vaccine card, emushrif registration printout, and COVID test result from State of Utah (with a State seal) without QR code. Agent had no problem accepting these as all they need. This matches what IATA's database says about "tests approved by local authorities."
Thank you for more datapoints! We're going ex-SEA via QR as well and I plan on presenting a PCR test from their own airport (SEA) testing center (which does not have a QR code). Don't see how that could possibly be rejected in that situation. I suspect the IATA quote is key. I also have a lot of experience with QR's reps at their SEA station

I'll follow-up here next week with my experiences.
Old Dec 4, 21, 7:07 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo View Post
We're going ex-SEA via QR as well and I plan on presenting a PCR test from their own airport (SEA) testing center (which does not have a QR code). Don't see how that could possibly be rejected in that situation. I suspect the IATA quote is key. I also have a lot of experience with QR's reps at their SEA station
It's a risk I wasn't willing to take. Oman is very clear that you need a QR code for the PCR test. The night before Thanksgiving, I read about someone who was rejected for entry into Egypt who had a Covid test but not a QR code. That sent me into a panic as I was in the same situation. The Travel Registration Form would not accept my Covid results. I scrambled and found a test site in San Diego where I threw a lot of money at it to get a one hour test result and still had to pay $29 extra for the QR code. All the best to you.
Old Dec 4, 21, 7:32 am

It's a risk I wasn't willing to take. Oman is very clear that you need a QR code for the PCR test. The night before Thanksgiving, I read about someone who was rejected for entry into Egypt who had a Covid test but not a QR code. I scrambled and found a test site in San Diego where I threw a lot of money at it to get a one hour test result and still had to pay $29 extra for the QR code. All the best to you.
Understood and I share and respect your concerns.

In regards to Egypt, CAI specifically, we went there in March with the same QR code "requirement" in place at that time. Same SEA test center doc provided, w/o QR code, was no problem, either at QR check-in desk or at CAI airport check-station. And of course upon walking out of the airport no one had a care in the world about covid or masks, Pre-entry theatre at its finest

Oman Air website has this:
"3. Passengers must have:
  • a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 96 hours before arrival if arriving on a flight that takes 8 hours or more (including transit); or
  • a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 72 hours before arrival if arriving on a flight that takes less than 8 hours. The test must have a QR code or be approved by the authorities in the country of departure;"
US Embassy for Oman notes:
"should contain QR Codes"

Anyhow, I'll provide a datapoint next week
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 5, 21, 1:24 am

I am curious why wouldn't emushrif not take the test result. As far as I know there isn't a manual review process like Qatar involved, so you just upload and it generates the submission page automatically.
Old Dec 6, 21, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by zahidworld View Post
[color=#000000]You MUST get an evisa before you arrive. When applying for the evisa, you have to attach photos of your passport and your COVID vaccination certificate.
This is also mentioned in the payment reciept email : YOU SHOULD NOT ARRIVE IN OMAN WITHOUT RECEIVING THE VISA APPROVAL NOTICE.
Originally Posted by shayaanl View Post
Isn't Oman visa free for stays of less then ten days for travellers from several countries?
Oman to give visa-free 10-day entry to 103 countries to boost tourism - FM.gov.om
Originally Posted by zahidworld View Post
COVID came and everything changed. You must have a e-visa before you visit Oman. I did not fancy paying £40+5 for the visa as I am British and we are entitled to free visa on arrival in countries nearby like Qatar and UAE.
Hi, I've only just seen these posts but I'm sorry to say you (and annoyingly the FCO website) were mistaken. You *do not* need a visa for stays up to 1014 days if you are from the list of exempt countries mentioned above. I flew from UK to Oman at end of October for 8 days, UK passport, no visa, no problem. All that was needed was the £5 e-mushrif registration form along with PCR/QR code and hotel details. Oman Air also checked I had insurance too. No problems with immigration.

The source you want (and which I printed out before travel in case of any challenge!) is this one: https://fm.gov.om/visitors/entry-visas/

Last edited by Ldnn1; Dec 6, 21 at 6:14 pm

Search this Thread