Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Just visited Doha, Qatar from UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just visited Doha, Qatar from UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Can anyone update the first post for those arriving from a Red country (such as UK)?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by physics
The official Qatar health website says everyone from Red countries "will be subject to hotel quarantine for two days upon arrival in the country:"
Red countries include the UK and US.
Did you not have to do this quarantine?
Source: https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...s/default.aspx
It also says then one takes a rapid antigen test on day 2 and can be release from quarantine (with negative result)
I don't understand the "day 2" thing. Since a result can be had in a few minutes, why not just give a test at the airport on arrival and skip the quarantine? Or allow one to take the test at the hotel as soon as you checkin? Isn't it better to know sooner? Seems like it is just wasting everyone's time by waiting.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:22 am

The concept of quarantine also includes waiting for the time that may be required for the disease to sufficiently develop in order to provide an accurate testing result. Due to the testing windows for both PCR and Antigen (with the latter being longer), a test immediately upon arrival won't catch the cases that may be picked up between the departure PCR and arrival at the hotel.

Of course, with daily numbers in excess of 4000 for such a small population, all of this is arguably a moot point for Qatar in many ways.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by stargold
The concept of quarantine also includes waiting for the time that may be required for the disease to sufficiently develop in order to provide an accurate testing result. Due to the testing windows for both PCR and Antigen (with the latter being longer), a test immediately upon arrival won't catch the cases that may be picked up between the departure PCR and arrival at the hotel.

Of course, with daily numbers in excess of 4000 for such a small population, all of this is arguably a moot point for Qatar in many ways.
ok I see.

I'm still looking for clarification on how "day 1" and "day 2" are defined.

For example, If I arrive 20 Jan 8pm, I assume "day 1" will be 20 Jan and "day 2" will be 21 Jan. I would take the test on 21Jan and be allowed to leave on 21 Jan, correct?

However, If I arrive 21 Jan 12:05am, I must book a hotel for the night of 20Jan. Therefore, is "day 1" 20 Jan and "day 2" 21 Jan? Then would I take the test on 21Jan and be allowed to leave on 21 Jan?
OR, would "day 1" be 21 Jan and "day 2" 22 Jan? Then would I take the test on 22Jan and be allowed to leave on 22 Jan?

It's an important distinction if arriving after midnight adds over 24hrs to the quarantine
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by eng3
ok I see.

I'm still looking for clarification on how "day 1" and "day 2" are defined.

For example, If I arrive 20 Jan 8pm, I assume "day 1" will be 20 Jan and "day 2" will be 21 Jan. I would take the test on 21Jan and be allowed to leave on 21 Jan, correct?

However, If I arrive 21 Jan 12:05am, I must book a hotel for the night of 20Jan. Therefore, is "day 1" 20 Jan and "day 2" 21 Jan? Then would I take the test on 21Jan and be allowed to leave on 21 Jan?
OR, would "day 1" be 21 Jan and "day 2" 22 Jan? Then would I take the test on 22Jan and be allowed to leave on 22 Jan?

It's an important distinction if arriving after midnight adds over 24hrs to the quarantine
I have the exact same question, if someone knows please chime in
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:06 am

I was in quarantine earlier this week. I had my antigen test about 48 hours after I arrived. I reached my hotel at 11am on Saturday and had antigen test at about 11am on Monday. Two hours later I was released. But it took another 24 hours to get my Ehteraz app to turn green. Until then I was not free to enter restaurants, shops, malls, museums - pretty much anywhere.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jahason
I was in quarantine earlier this week. I had my antigen test about 48 hours after I arrived. I reached my hotel at 11am on Saturday and had antigen test at about 11am on Monday. Two hours later I was released. But it took another 24 hours to get my Ehteraz app to turn green. Until then I was not free to enter restaurants, shops, malls, museums - pretty much anywhere.
Datapoint very much appreciated! Two *full* days in self imposed quarantine, plus another day to get the green release from prison. Three days locked down.

This makes leaving the airport and spending some much anticipated time poking around Doha, and Qatar, a hard pass. I'm just not going to subject myself and wife to that kind of lockdown and uncertainty. Always next winter if that's how it "sheikhs" out.

A shame.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:13 am

I chose Hilton Doha to have my quarantine in. Cost was just Ł211 (just over QAR1000). One of the hotels at the cheaper end. There were other hotels QAR 1300 and beyond. There is also a cheaper hostel type accommodation available geared for migrant workforce. The cost included transfer from airport to hotel, Covid test and end of quarantine certificate and three meals a day. Food was generally good and plentiful. It was dropped off outside my door.

The whole process seems quite efficient. I understand there were problems when the quarantine requirement first started but the authorities seem to be all joined up and have their act together.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:55 am

Does anyone know if you can transit DOH on separate tickets? I can’t determine that from the quarantine rules or arrival rules.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rstruthe
Does anyone know if you can transit DOH on separate tickets? I can’t determine that from the quarantine rules or arrival rules.
Without knowing the combination of airlines involved, and whether or not you have checked bags, nobody can determine your chances of success. But this probably isn't a good time to mess around with separate tickets unless you are absolutely confident things will be fine, or unless you are planning a Qatar stop-over.

Consensus has it that QR can be helpful on QR-QR connections with separate tickets. But flying into Doha on another carrier, they'll likely see you as a Doha destination passenger and expect you to demonstrate you can satisfy Qatar's immigration requirements.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Arriving at DOH. I have a US-based T-Mobile account that provides phone service in Qatar. Do I still need to buy a Qatar SIM card to use Etheraz? Second question - does my wife need to have her own account or is it possible to share an account and/or SIM card if necessary? I wonder what people without smartphones do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.