Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt COVID-19 Entry Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond

Has anyone had any recent experience entering Egypt from the U.S.? I know their government requires either a stamped and signed RT-PCR negative test or proof of vaccination with a QR code on the vaccination card. I have had the most difficult time finding any place that stamps and signs lab reports, and our CDC vaccination cards don't have a QR code assigned to them. I'm flying Air France and transiting through CDG if that makes a difference. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:07 pm

I have the exact same question as you had, were you able to find an answer to this?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mendezka
I have the exact same question as you had, were you able to find an answer to this?
Yes, I went to Cairo in August with both negative PCR and vaccination card in hand. The vaccination card was sufficient for entry, as I never showed either Air France or the person checking documentation in Egypt my PCR test results. Despite the website sounding fairly strict, everything COVID related was pretty laid back in Egypt. Also, even if you do not go through the process of getting an eVisa before your trip, you can buy a Visa at a counter for the same price once you get there. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:48 am

I'm looking at adding on an Egypt component to an upcoming trip (Mar). Although I'm concerned travel is still too "influx" for connecting destinations to be entirely prudent, it's a substantial savings of my award miles if I try to link a few destinations where possible. While anything can happen between now and March, would the following be allowable for entry now? (Basically asking if being in any of the following countries 1-4 weeks prior would preclude entry to Egypt and/or trigger a quarantine requirement.)
  • I'm a fully vaccinated US citizen.
  • I plan to travel TO Tanzania FROM the U.S. (IAD-DOH-JRO flying Qatar). I'll be in Tanzania 2-3 weeks, with possible short side trips to Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) and Uganda. The side trips are not definite and I could leave them out if they present a problem.
  • I will travel to the Maldives from Tanzania for 5-8days (ZNZ-DOH-MLE flying Qatar)
  • I'm considering a short stopover in Sri Lanka from the Maldives (3-4 days). (MLE-CMB). Could omit this stopover however.
  • Travel into Egypt would be either (CMB-DOH-CAI) or (MLE-DOH-CAI) flying Qatar.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:00 am

In Sharm right now. Went out of my way to obtain a PCR test with QR while in IST connecting to SSH. I didn't even get a chance to fully unfold the document before the agent waved me through...
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Any restrictions for vaccinated travel to Egypt

I saw online (ITA) that the Egyptian embassy needs to approve my proof of vaccine, is this really accurate?
Or can I just get on the flight with vaccination proof and negative PCR?
Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I saw online (ITA) that the Egyptian embassy needs to approve my proof of vaccine, is this really accurate?
Or can I just get on the flight with vaccination proof and negative PCR?
Thanks
If your vaccine certificate is in Arabic, English or French and has a QR code, you're OK

If the certificate does not satisfy that requirement you need to have it approved by an embassy

Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If your vaccine certificate is in Arabic, English or French and has a QR code, you're OK

If the certificate does not satisfy that requirement you need to have it approved by an embassy

Thank you! I missed the "or".
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
So, since the standard US CDC vax cert I have has no QR code, I need to present it to the nearest Egyptian Embassy for approval? Or is there a blanket approval for that card?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
So, since the standard US CDC vax cert I have has no QR code, I need to present it to the nearest Egyptian Embassy for approval? Or is there a blanket approval for that card?

Thanks.
I think the world has probably noted the awkwardness of US policy on vaccine certificates, and it's not in Egypt's interest to make life difficult for US visitors. So I guess the workaround is in unvaccinated travellers, or travellers not fully vaccinated, being allowed in if they take a pre-departure PCR test (with the results in a document with the labs stamp or QR code).

Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Marriott
Going to Cairo March 10th and trying to figure out what I need for Covid. I have a CDC vaccine card with 3 shoots on it, but there’s no QR code. I live in Florida where they won’t issue a vaccine record with a QR code on it, just a record listing all the vaccines you have ever taken in FL (I got one anyway). Covid tests are $139-$199 and none come with a QR code.

It seems one or the other of the following are required:

- A stamped and signed RT-PCR negative test. They all email results, so what does stamped and signed mean? A signature by the lab on the PDF form? Anything that looks like a stamp? All the tests I have done (more than a dozen) don’t provide either.

- proof of vaccination with a QR code on the vaccination card. The CDC card doesn’t have this. I did VaxYes but it just shows your uploaded CDC card and will generate a QR code version BUT instead of imaging the QR code and getting any confirmation, you have to login and then go another couple pages to get the unverified list of vaccine dates and a QR code.

Has anyone actually gone to Cairo recently? If so, what works? If you don’t have the correct forms, will they just test you there?

I spent the summer going to several Europe countries that all had they own sets of forms to fill out that no one ever collected or looked at, so I am just trying to figure out what works.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dasha726
Going to Cairo March 10th and trying to figure out what I need for Covid. I have a CDC vaccine card with 3 shoots on it, but there’s no QR code. I live in Florida where they won’t issue a vaccine record with a QR code on it, just a record listing all the vaccines you have ever taken in FL (I got one anyway). Covid tests are $139-$199 and none come with a QR code.

It seems one or the other of the following are required:

- A stamped and signed RT-PCR negative test. They all email results, so what does stamped and signed mean? A signature by the lab on the PDF form? Anything that looks like a stamp? All the tests I have done (more than a dozen) don’t provide either.

- proof of vaccination with a QR code on the vaccination card. The CDC card doesn’t have this. I did VaxYes but it just shows your uploaded CDC card and will generate a QR code version BUT instead of imaging the QR code and getting any confirmation, you have to login and then go another couple pages to get the unverified list of vaccine dates and a QR code.

Has anyone actually gone to Cairo recently? If so, what works? If you don’t have the correct forms, will they just test you there?

I spent the summer going to several Europe countries that all had they own sets of forms to fill out that no one ever collected or looked at, so I am just trying to figure out what works.

Thanks!
Why not get it certified by the Egyptian embassy or have you ruled that out? Do the RT-PCR results not come with QR codes?

Last edited by nas6034; Feb 18, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dasha726

I don't travel to Egypt from the US, or on a US passport, so i can offer only a general observation.

You might be over thinking this. It's not in Egypt's interests to make it difficult for US passport holders to visit the country, so I'd expect them to cope with the awkward US approach to providing certificates in an international format. I'm pretty sure that a downloaded, laboratory-headed and signed certificate of a PCR test result will satisfy requirements.

As the key will be acceptance by the carrier that takes you into Cairo, you might contact that airline for reassurance.

Alternatively you could ask an EG consulate (NY, DC, LA, Chicago, Houston) to certify your vaccine certificate, though I guess that might not be a convenient solution.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:36 pm

Covid tests here don't come with QR codes and no Embassy is near here. This is why I am asking anyone who actually went what forms they provided.

Thansk.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:39 pm

I agree that its in Egypt's best interest to allow in US travelers, but all the websites (including their USA one) list the same requirements so assuming something works without someone confirm that they did it is risky.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.