Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jerusalem for the older, poor walkers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb

I'm planning a trip to Israel for my wife and in laws. I've been several times but they have not. The in laws are over 75, and have limited stamina. I'm looking for advice or resources to planning their days. I think I've figured out how to break each part of our trip into small enough pieces that they can rest in between, but could use a little advice.

For example, I think they could do the Western Wall tunnels... probably. When I last visited, I walked into the old city through the Jaffa gate, down through the Jewish quarter, Wall and tunnel, back out through the Muslim quarter and Church of Holy Sepulcher. For the in laws, we would break that into 2 days or more. WE would taxi to the Dung gate, spend time at the wall, do the tunnel, perhaps rest at the Austrian Hospice cafe, and then leave the city. Certainly if they are energized we could simply head through the souk to the Jaffa gate, but if not... Could an expert suggest an exit strategy? I see it looks like an easy downhill walk to the Lion gate, but would getting a taxi there be a challenge? Its close to the Damascus gate, but there are stairs to the street that look rough. What about backtracking to the dung gate above ground?

I'd appreciate other advice and resources for non disabled travelers with low stamina/poor walking. Most of what I find is for folks less mobile than my crew we don't need wheelchair advice and such. Maybe we can retitle this thread if it becomes a resource. For example, I figure we'll do Caesarea as our roman ruin, not Beit She'an, which was my mothers favorite. Cable car for the in laws at Masada while the others hike, etc. We'll skip Safed unless someone can suggest a way to visit without stairs. And so on...

Thanks for the local wisdom
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: USair BA DL AA
I take small private groups or 4 to 6 to Israel and it is a tough place for folks with limited mobility. I would suggest doing a couple days in Jerusalem. Maybe the Israel Museum and as you suggest taxi to the Dung gate to see the Western Wall. In my experience there are little to no taxi's at the Lion gate. What we usually do is take the light rail to the Jaffa Gate and walk downhill'ish to the Western Wall and exit at the Damascus Gate to get a feel for the whole city. Be aware that if you plan your trip in the heat of Summer this could be a problem for older walkers. I would rent a car to leave Jerusalem. Head East and stop at the Good Samartian Mosiacs and then down to Masada. You could finish the day with a stay at Ein Bokek to do the Dead Sea. Then head North to Gallilee in the rental car, stay in that area. Then head over to Caesarea Martima which is very nice, slow paced and flat with parking close to the entrance so that will be good. Figure 3/4 of a day there if going slow. But again the heat can be an issue here. Then I'd turn in the rental car in Tel Aviv before you fly out. Oh and get an Israeli Park pass for several of these sites to save money. www.freestatetours.com
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by daninstl
I take small private groups or 4 to 6 to Israel and it is a tough place for folks with limited mobility. I would suggest doing a couple days in Jerusalem. Maybe the Israel Museum and as you suggest taxi to the Dung gate to see the Western Wall. In my experience there are little to no taxi's at the Lion gate. What we usually do is take the light rail to the Jaffa Gate and walk downhill'ish to the Western Wall and exit at the Damascus Gate to get a feel for the whole city. Be aware that if you plan your trip in the heat of Summer this could be a problem for older walkers. I would rent a car to leave Jerusalem. Head East and stop at the Good Samartian Mosiacs and then down to Masada. You could finish the day with a stay at Ein Bokek to do the Dead Sea. Then head North to Gallilee in the rental car, stay in that area. Then head over to Caesarea Martima which is very nice, slow paced and flat with parking close to the entrance so that will be good. Figure 3/4 of a day there if going slow. But again the heat can be an issue here. Then I'd turn in the rental car in Tel Aviv before you fly out. Oh and get an Israeli Park pass for several of these sites to save money. www.freestatetours.com

Thanks much. Thats similar to my plan. We land on a Thursday Afternoon and I'm driving them straight to Ein Bokek. We visit Masada and the sea Friday and drive north on 90 for a long road trip Saturday ending in the North for 2 nights. Sunday we see Haifa, Rosh Hanikra, a little of Acre. Monday we drive south through Megiddo and spend time at Caesarea ending in Jerusalem. 3 nights there, and then more to Tel Aviv Thursday for the last few nights. I figure the Dead Sea and Tel Aviv are the most Shabbat friendly spots as we arent that religious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.