Expo 2020 Dubai UAE

Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I thought the same. I've been in Dubai for several months and only went once. Once was enough. Besides that people act like they've lost their minds and don't watch where they're walking and many areas inside the pavilions have people stacked on top of each other with no social distancing. I have no desire to be in those pavilions with omicron running rampant like it is in Dubai now with hundreds/probably thousands of people in over capacity quarantine hotels.
One day should be enough then. I'll get there early.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
One day should be enough then. I'll get there early.
Definitely go early or you'll be hating life
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
The EK pavilion is prebook reservation only. It's sold out for the next two days. So I don't get to see it. UGH!
Please plan ahead!
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
The EK pavilion is prebook reservation only. It's sold out for the next two days. So I don't get to see it. UGH!
Please plan ahead!
If you go and stand in line before the 10am opening, it should be possible to get in without a booking - at least that's what I did.

Bear in mind that inside it is very conceptual and not much in terms of exhibiting anything Emirates is currently doing, so if you're expecting displays of things like cabins and seats (which I thought there might be at least a couple), you might end up disappointed. The VR and video presentation at the end was quite interesting, but I didn't think much of the rest of the exhibits.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
If you go and stand in line before the 10am opening, it should be possible to get in without a booking - at least that's what I did.

Bear in mind that inside it is very conceptual and not much in terms of exhibiting anything Emirates is currently doing, so if you're expecting displays of things like cabins and seats (which I thought there might be at least a couple), you might end up disappointed. The VR and video presentation at the end was quite interesting, but I didn't think much of the rest of the exhibits.
I think that describes many of the pavilions. Displays plus more displays.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:36 am

I am curious how much the missile and drone news will impact attendance between now and the end of March when the Expo concludes:
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/y...ack-dubai-expo

The Houthis CLAIM to have the Expo as a target.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
I am curious how much the missile and drone news will impact attendance between now and the end of March when the Expo concludes:
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/y...ack-dubai-expo

The Houthis CLAIM to have the Expo as a target.
I'm not sure what link you posted, but it's not a good link and can't open. Regardless, people are still coming to Dubai, the influx of people haven't slow down one bit since the first attack. I'm in Dubai and all the hotels in my area I see folks coming in every afternoon/evening like a regular day of checking in.

The Houthis have said on numerous occasions that they want to attack the Burj Khalifa. I think if they did that, that's when you'll see folks canceling their trips. As of right now they attacked Abu Dhabi three times within three weeks and I don't think they're going to stop since all those civilians were bombed at an immigrant center in Yemen a little over a week ago after the Houthis launched those ballistic missiles at Abu Dhabi. They basically said they'll fight to end. So, if they damage or even attempt to damage the Burj Khalifa that would be a major hit. More than the Expo. But, I don't see anyone here in Dubai seriously talking about the missiles. It's like it's old news even though a ballistic missile was intercepted over Abu Dhabi again early this morning for the third time. Most people don't even go to Abu Dhabi, so if the crap started hitting the fan in Dubai everyone's antennas will be going up.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
There's a Rove hotel inside the Expo park. I am going to check it out for two nights over the weekend. Ironically, I don't really care about the Expo much but this seems like a fun idea. Maybe an evening at Iris with shisha and not have to worry about the slog out of the park afterward.

Has anyone tried it?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mecabq
There's a Rove hotel inside the Expo park. I am going to check it out for two nights over the weekend. Ironically, I don't really care about the Expo much but this seems like a fun idea. Maybe an evening at Iris with shisha and not have to worry about the slog out of the park afterward.

Has anyone tried it?

hi,

I am going back to Dubai at the end of Feb and will try the Rove at the expo also for 2 nights before the Conrad for 4 nights so I can come back to the hotel freshen up during the day and then see the Expo at night without worrying about 1hr travel each way to the Conrad. Also being there at opening and closing times should be good and get to some pavillions first thing before the crowds build.

Reports on trip advisor are quite good although some reviews say that rooms facing Al Wasi plaza may get some noise as the sound system is tested.

Prices are a little high but you are paying for accessiblity and location also.

If you are there shortly, I would love to hear your opinions on the hotel if you have the time.
Regards

TBS
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rove expo 2020

Hi Here now
check in was st 4pm to get room keys but completed formalities earlier.

Got a room with a side view of the plaza.. was room 726

They provide earplus as the noise from the concerts continued till midnight.
Bed was comfortable
next thing I knew I woke up looked at my watch and it was 8am so one of the better sleeps I had.
Brekfast is very good. Pancakes available.
location is excellent.

Bathroom a little small but fine. Cans of water provided in the room.
Expo is getting busier and wifi is very spotty esp when trying to access the smart queues booking on the app

Regards

Tbs

Ps announcements now being made that masks are no longer required outdoors but are required indoors.

Nighttime is absolutely beautiful in the expo and the plaza.

check out at 2pm very useful.
Sandwiches in the cafe to take away are not bad but can be obtained cheaper from the zoom convenience stores around the expo area.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 5, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I had a positive experience at the Rove too. I had a room with a balcony on the 12th floor overlooking the main dome. The rooms are pretty basic as you'd expect but everything worked and I have no complaints. Also the check-out time is 2:00pm.

It's really nice at night, and fun to walk around when it's quiet. There is decent nightlife at Expo. I ate one night at Hunter and Barrel, one of the better steakhouses in Dubai, and the second at the restaurant in the Angola pavilion. There is a Russian-type bar on the roof of the Partner Hub office building overlooking the main stage. There's also Iris nightclub, which I wandered by but didn't patronize, among other tucked-away places. Both of the food halls also have bars with shisha on the upper floor; if I return, I might try the Saturday brunch at the African food hall. They have 24-hour markets (Zoom) though I couldn't find a cup of brewed coffee.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Closing Ceremony 31 March

Hi,

Watching the closing ceremony live on youtube. Very good.

There will be more fireworks later.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:02 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I went to Expo 2020 a couple of weeks ago.

Besides seeing some quirky architecture, I felt that the only good part was the upper floor of the Turkmenistan pavilion, since they had a copy of Ruhnama. Otherwise, I could have skipped the queues entirely and instead, gone online at home for the same propaganda.

And DXB Terminal 2 can go f itself.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I went to Expo 2020 a couple of weeks ago.

Besides seeing some quirky architecture, I felt that the only good part was the upper floor of the Turkmenistan pavilion, since they had a copy of Ruhnama. Otherwise, I could have skipped the queues entirely and instead, gone online at home for the same propaganda.

And DXB Terminal 2 can go f itself.
I was in Dubai over the winter and went to the Expo back in December. Stayed exactly one hour. Visited only one pavilion. Lines were crazy, too many people there for the holiday season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.