Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel Public Transport and the Rav Kav

Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:56 am
Original Poster

How does it work the rav kav?
i.e. when i use my rav kav, why do i get an additional 25% loaded on?
and how does it work that i can use it on multiple providers?
who pays who? it seems a different system than in other countries, where possibly the provider receives all the income - is this true?
and sometimes there is a 90 minute window of free travel, do the different buses i use get the same money?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
who pays who? it seems a different system than in other countries, where possibly the provider receives all the income - is this true?
and sometimes there is a 90 minute window of free travel, do the different buses i use get the same money?

Wrong forum, this has nothing to do with either ElAl or any carrier, it never should have been posted over here,
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I alerted a mod that this should be moved to the Middle East forum instead

This is just part of Rav-Kav. It was initially an incentive to use Rav-Kav instead of paper tickets. Now, paper tickets have been completed phased out and you can pay for public transportation (with the exception of the train and lighr rail - which still have paper tickets in addition to Rav-Kav + apps) pretty much only using either a Rav-Kav or an app (Moovit, Anyway by Isracard, MOT app, Hopon). But the "discount" has remained. It's a discount in the sense that to get 125 shekel of value, you only spend 100 shek. So it's a 20% discount. Then there are further discount profiles (e.g. students get 33% discount, students who purchase a semester/year-long unlimited pass within a given zone get 50% discount for all other travel, pensioners, youth, etc.).

It's a smart card and usable on all forms of public transportation in Israel (except the East Jerusalem Arab bus lines)

You pay the money, the provider receives the money when you travel. Public transportation in Israel is significantly subsidized by the Ministry of Transportation

When traveling within an urban zone (i.e. Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, etc.) you get unlimited travel within 90 minutes of your first validation. This is true when paying with Rav-Kav, not with paper tickets. Keep in mind that only travel within an urban zone qualifies, and the train is excluded.

All of the above being said, the new apps will likely eventually replace Rav-Kav. For now, they both work. In most cases, the apps will end up being cheaper than Rav-Kav (conceptually it is distance-based pricing). A big benefit of the apps is that they charge you retroactively based on the lowest price (meaning if you traveled enough to have made it worthwhile to buy a monthly pass, then at the end of the month it will only charge you the monthly price, not each individual price; if you didn't, it will charge the individual trips - so you no longer need to guess if you'll need a daily/weekly/monthly pass)
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90

You pay the money, the provider receives the money when you travel. Public transportation in Israel is significantly subsidized by the Ministry of Transportation
Right, but for example, if i travel on a 'afikim' bus line from TLV to Jslem, and pay the driver to put 50 shekel onto the rav kav, then the next day i use the rav kav for a Jslem city bus, how will egged get that 50 shekel from Afikim?

In most cases, the apps will end up being cheaper than Rav-Kav (conceptually it is distance-based pricing). A big benefit of the apps is that they charge you retroactively based on the lowest price (meaning if you traveled enough to have made it worthwhile to buy a monthly pass, then at the end of the month it will only charge you the monthly price, not each individual price; if you didn't, it will charge the individual trips - so you no longer need to guess if you'll need a daily/weekly/monthly pass)
That would be good, as in London.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Wrong forum, this has nothing to do with either ElAl or any carrier, it never should have been posted over here,
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I alerted a mod that this should be moved to the Middle East forum instead
I apologize
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Right, but for example, if i travel on a 'afikim' bus line from TLV to Jslem, and pay the driver to put 50 shekel onto the rav kav, then the next day i use the rav kav for a Jslem city bus, how will egged get that 50 shekel from Afikim?
Afikim is the conduit through whom you added the money, they didn't actually make money off you loading your Rav-Kav. Regardless, for the most part, you can no longer add money on the bus and need to add through the app or ATMs.

That would be good, as in London.
Already in place, available for Android and iPhone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.