Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE to open diplomatic ties with Israel, including flights

Old Aug 13, 20, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La

https://apnews.com/abcb0ed9a84e2d3da7d87c28641ccc21

Emirates flights to Israel? Certainly great news for travelers. Not such great news for El Al.
PattiW, M60_to_LGA, SFO777 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
https://apnews.com/abcb0ed9a84e2d3da7d87c28641ccc21

Emirates flights to Israel? Certainly great news for travelers. Not such great news for El Al.
LY already has been in trouble even before C-19, this entire shutdown, talk of government bailout etc has absolutely decimated them.

Would love to see direct flights between TLV/ETM - DXB. Not sure how that route would look if they still need to avoid Saudi airspace, unless they have a similar agreement that AI has to be able to flyover.
Old Aug 13, 20, 10:01 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
LY already has been in trouble even before C-19, this entire shutdown, talk of government bailout etc has absolutely decimated them.

Would love to see direct flights between TLV/ETM - DXB. Not sure how that route would look if they still need to avoid Saudi airspace, unless they have a similar agreement that AI has to be able to flyover.
I'm pretty sure Saudi isn't going to bar Emirates (owned by a close political/military ally) from overflying its territory on the way to Israel.

I'd actually expect Saudi to follow the UAE's lead and normalize relations with Israel itself sometime in the near to medium term. Given their self-proclaimed status as protector of Muslim holy places, they probably don't want to go first, but let's be real - they totally support the UAE's move. MBS is probably working to negotiate some enhanced Saudi role over the Temple Mount, which shouldn't be too hard, and will portray that as a big Israeli concession as part of an overall deal.

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Aug 13, 20 at 10:10 am
Old Aug 13, 20, 11:54 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Bahrain will probably follow, and then Saudi
Once Saudi does, most non-Arab Muslim countries (Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, ) will recognize as well

How long will DXB-TLV take? Probably 3 hours?
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 13, 20, 2:18 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Am I dreaming or is it for real

[just kidding, but still sort of hard to believe...]
Old Aug 13, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: EK iO
I dont see any concrete info on flights, this will take much longer than people think it will.
Auto Enthusiast and bizum like this.
Old Aug 13, 20, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB View Post
Once Saudi does, most non-Arab Muslim countries (Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia, ) will recognize as well

Yes it is. 3 hours and 30 minutes. Isn't too bad at all.
Old Aug 13, 20, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes it is. 3 hours and 30 minutes. Isn't too bad at all.
So you will be able to fly from UAE to Israel but not Qatar. Strange times indeed
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou View Post
I dont see any concrete info on flights, this will take much longer than people think it will.
Well, it will certainly take as long as the coronavirus is out there making travel itself dangerous. But I don't think a flight deal is particularly problematic in any way. For Emirates in particular, there's probably a lot of cash to be made taking Israeli tech people to and from East Asia.

This will definitely not be helpful for El Al, though. They're about to face a lot more competition for routes to the east.
Old Aug 13, 20, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
So you will be able to fly from UAE to Israel but not Qatar. Strange times indeed
Sure! If I can visit Dubai, but it is very extremely expensive. I can not go to UAE. Sorry!
Old Aug 13, 20, 7:45 pm

I can easily see SFO, JFK, LAX Dubai via TLV. Emirates is a very good airline and I would fly them over UA, El AL or Delta and see about their Business Class or First Class product.
Old Aug 13, 20, 9:38 pm

Emirates Lounge at TLV would be a welcome addition.
Old Aug 15, 20, 12:30 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
If it was Dubai deciding, they would have flown to both, but its the country, not city deciding that
Old Aug 17, 20, 2:25 am

If it was Dubai deciding, they would have flown to both, but its the country, not city deciding that
The Ruler of Dubai is UAE’s Vice-President and Prime-Minister, he also has veto power on the National Council (i.e. the country’s single legislative and policy-making authority). This is to say that the Emirate of Dubai is fully on board with UAE’s policy on Qatar relations.
Old Aug 17, 20, 5:05 am

less then 3, around 2.5 I think, same as fly to jordan

Search this Thread
Search Engine: