FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Dubai trip and Corona Virus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/2011680-dubai-trip-corona-virus.html)

testboss Mar 6, 2020 5:46 am

Dubai trip and Corona Virus

What is the situation in dubai and UAE as per corona virus is concern ?

Global Adventurer Mar 6, 2020 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by testboss (Post 32149064)
What is the situation in dubai and UAE as per corona virus is concern ?

They've shutdown schools for at least 4 weeks for cleaning and spring break.

Many event organizers have cancelled concerts and other events.

All the regular touristy stuff is still open and in operation including cruises in the Persian Gulf (for now).

At least they announced anyone diagnosed with coronavirus will receive all medical care free of charge, in hopes that the general public would inform them if they weren't feeling good.

reigndrop Mar 7, 2020 1:07 am

They’re doing a thorough scan of all incoming people but that’s pretty much it.

schools have been cancelled and some people have been asked to work from home but more out of an abundance of caution.

my guess is they’re trying to be tough on it to instill confidence that things are fine (which they are) leading into Expo.

that said, while malls may be a bit emptier, things are still calm and there’s no panic buying of non perishables and hygienic items like from what I’ve heard from relatives in the US

Ryanardo_daVinci Mar 7, 2020 1:13 am

I just came back this morning. Everyone I interacted with seemed disproportionately worried.

LondonElite Mar 7, 2020 1:15 am

Pretty much the same as everywhere else.

travelexdubai Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am

Situation Of Dubai Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

People can go out to get groceries but major tourist spots have been closed. People are working from home. It's kind of the same as everywhere in the world, the only good thing is that the situation is not that serious. The government is taking every possible step to restrict the spread of coronavirus. Wish everything get over soon and everyone can easily roam around Dubai freely the same as before.

Global Adventurer Apr 13, 2020 9:21 am

Originally Posted by travelexdubai (Post 32288966)
People can go out to get groceries but major tourist spots have been closed. People are working from home. It's kind of the same as everywhere in the world, the only good thing is that the situation is not that serious. The government is taking every possible step to restrict the spread of coronavirus. Wish everything get over soon and everyone can easily roam around Dubai freely the same as before.

Pretty amazing actually. When I left on February 18th, everything was basically almost normal except a few people started wearing masks including myself. And less than two months everything on lockdown. Had plans on returning for the world's expo, but even that was postponed. I've cancelled all my traveling the remainder of the year and will focus on miscellaneous things that need attention. Keep healthy 💪 and safe!

travelexdubai Apr 14, 2020 1:47 am

Yeah, the new dates heard to be October 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022. Let's see the BIE will convene April 21, 2020, for a virtual meeting and declare the change of dates for Expo 2020 Dubai. People were pretty much excited for the Expo 2020. They have booked the tickets with us in advance. But let's hope to see the Dubai Expo do what World Expos was created to do – bring people and the world together for a meaningful and better future.

travelexdubai Apr 14, 2020 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 32289228)
Pretty amazing actually. When I left on February 18th, everything was basically almost normal except a few people started wearing masks including myself. And less than two months everything on lockdown. Had plans on returning for the world's expo, but even that was postponed. I've cancelled all my traveling the remainder of the year and will focus on miscellaneous things that need attention. Keep healthy 💪 and safe!

Yeah, the new dates heard to be October 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022. Let's see the BIE will convene April 21, 2020, for a virtual meeting and declare the change of dates for Expo 2020 Dubai. People were pretty much excited for the Expo 2020. They have booked the tickets with us in advance. But let's hope to see the Dubai Expo do what World Expos was created to do – bring people and the world together for a meaningful and better future.

SkyTeam777 Jun 13, 2020 8:12 am

Any news on what hotels are reopening and what protocols are in place? Both here and other parts of the Middle East?

Global Adventurer Jun 13, 2020 10:03 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 32452939)
Any news on what hotels are reopening and what protocols are in place? Both here and other parts of the Middle East?

Mostly all the hotels are open. But, many still have restriction, like pools and gyms closed. Many malls are open. Subscribe to Gulf News or Khaleej Times for all the happenings in the gulf countries.

SkyTeam777 Jun 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 32453194)
Mostly all the hotels are open. But, many still have restriction, like pools and gyms closed. Many malls are open. Subscribe to Gulf News or Khaleej Times for all the happenings in the gulf countries.

Thanks! I am wondering what creative things hotels are doing to weather the new changes. Some hotels are doing away with printed menus in favor of QR codes that scan menus directly to guest phones, for example. Any other things that you know of that hotels are doing in the area like that to meet the new regulations?

Global Adventurer Jun 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 32453618)
Thanks! I am wondering what creative things hotels are doing to weather the new changes. Some hotels are doing away with printed menus in favor of QR codes that scan menus directly to guest phones, for example. Any other things that you know of that hotels are doing in the area like that to meet the new regulations?

Sorry, I have no clue. At this point every hotel is running independent of any others so it's up to management. If you have plans on going to Dubai, I would suggest reading the government website on Covid-19, so you won't be in violation of any rules or regulations. They've taken this matter seriously and have arrested people and closed down businesses for violating the rules. Hope you have a good trip!

Global Adventurer Jun 13, 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 32452939)

I forgot to mention that an extraordinary number of people that were in Dubai on work Visas, like ones working in the hospitality industry left the country over the last several months. Many were repatriated back to India, South Africa, Pakistan and the Philippines. So, regardless if the hotels are open they won't be back to full staff and full service for sometime. Most likely not until this winter. Many of those workers were down to zero funds when they left, as their governments had to foot the bill back home, so them coming back won't be happening anytime soon.