Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tour Guide Recommendation: Jerusalem

Tour Guide Recommendation: Jerusalem

Old Jan 16, 20, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Question Tour Guide Recommendation: Jerusalem

I'm interested in finding a local tour guide to show us around Jerusalem in mid-February 2020. I'm aware we can easily find a tour company online, via Get Your Guide, and from the hotel concierge, but would appreciate the FlyerTalk community's experiences. Ideally, the person is young, fit, knowledgeable, good with kids, energetic and fun!
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:46 am

You should post this question on the Tripadvisor forum. There is also an FAQ there about hiring local guides.

Hiring a guide for the Old City is an excellent idea. You can do the New City on your own - the Israel Museum, Yad Vashem, Makhaneh Yehuda Market, etc, etc.
Old Jan 17, 20, 1:40 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by mbgg View Post
You should post this question on the Tripadvisor forum. There is also an FAQ there about hiring local guides.
Yeah, TA Israel forum has a wealth of information and is a great resource. However, beware that there are several megaposters / "Destination Experts" who are tour guides. The forum is really cliquey, and lot of the megaposters are friends or at least have met up in real life. The guides are megaposting on TA for the primary purpose of promoting their business (under the guise of just trying to be helpful to tourists). They don't explicitly self-promote so as to stay within TA's rules, but some of the non-guide megaposters are constantly promoting their guide megaposter "friends" when people ask for guide recommendations. This is not to say that these folks aren't great guides, so, OP, just make sure you read "real" trip reports and reviews by actual tourists who have used particular guides -- and don't just rely on the recommendation of a TA "regular."

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Jan 17, 20 at 2:47 am
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:42 am

The guides are megaposting on TA for the primary purpose of promoting their business (under the guise of just trying to be helpful to tourists). They don't explicitly self-promote so as to stay within TA's rules......,
I think that you are exaggerating this conflict of interest. If you check the comments posted on Tripadvisor by these guides, they never suggest to anyone who wants to tour on their own that they must hire a guide. On the other hand, these guides visit the tourist sites daily and are able to provide much more accurate and up-to-date information and general advice than persons such as myself (I am not in the travel industry).
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:18 am

I think that you are exaggerating this conflict of interest. If you check the comments posted on Tripadvisor by these guides, they never suggest to anyone who wants to tour on their own that they must hire a guide. On the other hand, these guides visit the tourist sites daily and are able to provide much more accurate and up-to-date information and general advice than persons such as myself (I am not in the travel industry).
What you're saying isn't far from my point -- the guides don't actually self-promote (i.e., telling people to hire them) but their mere presence on the board is self-promotion. They aren't providing information just do be helpful; they're doing it because it helps their business. Sure, they can offer great advice. Other country TA forums have guides and tour operators who are regulars / DEs, but there isn't the same network of non-travel industry regulars who shill for the travel industry regular friends.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:04 am

. Other country TA forums have guides and tour operators who are regulars / DEs, but there isn't the same network of non-travel industry regulars who shill for the travel industry regular friends.
Do you have any PROOF of this "shilling" or do you just slander people randomly according to your prejudices?Why do you think that all guides posting in all other countries could not possibly have any interest in increasing their income?
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:50 pm

Do you have any PROOF of this "shilling" or do you just slander people randomly according to your prejudices?Why do you think that all guides posting in all other countries could not possibly have any interest in increasing their income?
The proof is right on TA. If you disagree, we can agree to disagree. Yes, TA in general is full of travel industry people engaging in self-promoting; in other country forums, it's often poorly done and blatantly obvious. On this particular forum, it's done in a more sophisticated manner.
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Moderator note: The OP asked for guide recommendations from this community. Please address that question and discontinue the off-topic bickering regarding members of other communities.

l etoile
sr moderator
Old Jan 21, 20, 6:23 am

With apologies to the moderator. It is my understanding that some of the people you call non guide “ mega posters” are not recommending friends but people who have actually guided them. Being a “ mega poster” should not disqualify someone from recommending a guide they toured with.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: