FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Dubai UAE after US/Iran attack (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/2002596-dubai-uae-after-us-iran-attack.html)

atomz4peace Jan 3, 2020 7:59 pm

Dubai UAE after US/Iran attack

Anyone from the US in Dubai now? We are supposed to visit soon but not sure if we'll still go. First is of course a safety question. We don't see any real advisories yet, but anyone on the ground?

Beyond safety it really matters about the fun factor. Does it feel like US tourists are not welcome in UAE?

Thanks!

Global Adventurer Jan 4, 2020 1:25 am

Originally Posted by atomz4peace (Post 31906524)
Anyone from the US in Dubai now? We are supposed to visit soon but not sure if we'll still go. First is of course a safety question. We don't see any real advisories yet, but anyone on the ground?

Beyond safety it really matters about the fun factor. Does it feel like US tourists are not welcome in UAE?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I've been here since November 21st and just went to see the New Year's Eve fireworks a few days ago. There's nothing going on here and how would anybody know you're from the the usa or even a tourist (unless you look like one with a map and camera hanging around their neck), since people all over the world live and visit here? I've been on 2 cruises in the Persian Gulf while I've been here all in-between UAE, Iran, Doha, Bahrain and Oman. The only thing I noticed was Iran's naval ships, and China, Russia and Iran's military excersises a week ago.

I would say the only BIG thing that may happen soon is a major time of mourning if the leader of Oman passes away, as he's been very ill. That would be the biggest news from this area and put Oman at a stand still, as he is beloved by his countrymen.

Yes, I'm a U.S. Citizen here in Dubai for the winter.

By the way, I only fly Qatar, Turkish and Emirates airlines when flying in this region, or anywhere else, and never fly any plane with an American Flag on it anywhere, except when I fly to Mexico. But, that's just me.

IAN-UK Jan 4, 2020 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31907152)
I would say the only BIG thing that may happen soon is a major time of mourning if the leader of Oman passes away, as he's been very ill. That would be the biggest news from this area and put Oman at a stand still, as he is beloved by his countrymen.

Qaboos has been very ill for a long time. But he's a stubborn old bird, and the hope is he'll hang on. But you are right, in a region where leaders can be feared rather than loved, there is a quite extraordinary amount of respect and affection for the sultan, as well as a generous measure of respect from Oman's neighbours.

GUWonder Jan 5, 2020 2:19 am

US citizens are as welcome as usual in the UAE.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31907174)

Qaboos has been very ill for a long time. But he's a stubborn old bird, and the hope is he'll hang on. But you are right, in a region where leaders can be feared rather than loved, there is a quite extraordinary amount of respect and affection for the sultan, as well as a generous measure of respect from Oman's neighbours.

His colon cancer treatment has helped him live this long, but I would be surprised if he makes it into next year. Even next quarter is pushing it.

About visiting Dubai and the UAE, while it’s possible that Iran could seek retribution/retaliation in the UAE for the US’s assassination of a senior Iranian general, Iran has had substantial interest in keeping the status quo with the UAE in a way it hasn’t had with say Saudi Arabia. But given the substantial (and again growing) US military presence in the UAE, there is some chance that there is escalation that involves targets inside the UAE or that are using UAE airports/bases.

I have family trips to Dubai planned for later this month, but I will see if some rather risk-adverse parties decide to change plans

Global Adventurer Jan 8, 2020 4:55 am

Everything is still business as usual here in Dubai. My cruise next week in the Persian Gulf has not been cancelled yet, so I'm still going.

GUWonder Jan 8, 2020 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31923133)
Everything is still business as usual here in Dubai. My cruise next week in the Persian Gulf has not been cancelled yet, so I'm still going.

Given the FAA notice about regional air space use, and even without any additional Iranian move against the UAE, I would expect that there could be some disruptions in flight service to/from the UAE.

Global Adventurer Jan 8, 2020 9:18 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31923908)
Given the FAA notice about regional air space use, and even without any additional Iranian move against the UAE, I would expect that there could be some disruptions in flight service to/from the UAE.

Emirates has banned their pilots from flying in and around Iraq and Iran airspace. And cancelled some flights. But, nothing is going on here, just a normal day.

pinniped Jan 8, 2020 10:29 am

How has the aversion to Iranian airspace affected flight schedules? My DXB-BOS flight a year ago flew almost directly over Tehran on a sunny afternoon - it was pretty cool to see the city, even from 35,000 feet away. How much time does a reroute add?

Messing around with the great circle mapper it looks like it'd probably have to fly across Saudi Arabia and Egypt before turning north.

dhuey Jan 9, 2020 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31924073)
Emirates has banned their pilots from flying in and around Iraq and Iran airspace. And cancelled some flights. But, nothing is going on here, just a normal day.

I was on Emirates 225 (DXB-SFO) yesterday (1/8). We flew right over Iran. I think Iran's threat to Dubai came only a few hours before our departure, so it's possible Emirates made changes after our flight.

ETA: I just looked at FlightRadar24 a moment ago. Several US-bound and one Moscow-bound flight went right across Iranian airspace.

Global Adventurer Jan 9, 2020 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31927354)
I was on Emirates 225 (DXB-SFO) yesterday (1/8). We flew right over Iran. I think Iran's threat to Dubai came only a few hours before our departure, so it's possible Emirates made changes after our flight.

ETA: I just looked at FlightRadar24 a moment ago. Several US-bound and one Moscow-bound flight went right across Iranian airspace.

Interesting. I wander if they reverse it after the head media guy from Dubai announced that Iran never threatened to bomb Dubai? They actually got on Twitter saying it was all fake news 😂😡

They're trying to save their economy, that's all.

Global Adventurer Jan 9, 2020 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31927440)
Interesting. I wander if they reverse it after the head media guy from Dubai announced that Iran never threatened to bomb Dubai? They actually got on Twitter saying it was all fake news 😂😡

Here's the verbiage from his statement:

"The Dubai government on Wednesday issued a statement, rubbishing the rumours floating on certain sections of international media that Dubai was not a safe place to visit following purported threats from an Iranian official.

The Dubai Media Office said that these are only rumours and not based on any official source from any Iranian institution or official.

It also warned media organisations to not publish such rumours, and urged them to publish only accurate news.

"Dubai Media Office confirms that the rumors being circulated regarding security threats targeting Dubai are fake and haven't been issued from any official source in the Iranian government. We urge everyone to refrain from circulating fake news and spreading rumors," a statement said."

dhuey Jan 9, 2020 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 31927440)

Yeah, I would imagine the sales pitch for those selling luxury condos in Dubai just got a lot tougher. I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable returning to Dubai, but there is a long-term threat here. Iran can't defend itself from a full USA attack, but it can cause enormous damage to the USA's regional allies, including the UAE.

Global Adventurer Jan 9, 2020 5:09 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31927468)
Yeah, I would imagine the sales pitch for those selling luxury condos in Dubai just got a lot tougher. I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable returning to Dubai, but there is a long-term threat here. Iran can't defend itself from a full USA attack, but it can cause enormous damage to the USA's regional allies, including the UAE.

Yep! Iran will always keep that card in their back pocket, in case they ever need to use it.