Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol in UAE and Jordan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Alcohol in UAE and Jordan

I'm flying to UAE and Jordan later this month over New Years. I'm starting in Abu Dhabi, followed by Dubai, and then the Dubai Desert at a Marriot property (Al Maha). From there I go to Amman and Petra.

I'd prefer to buy some booze (perhaps a few bottles of wine) to enjoy in our hotel rooms so that we don't have to rely on buying super expensive drinks from the hotel.

What's the best way to do this? I've read that you can buy alcohol in AUH before you exit the airport, but does anyone have specifics? e.g., where exactly is the duty free shop on arrival in the airport, are prices reasonable, how much can you buy, etc?

Also...any advice for Jordan?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
In AUH, there's a Duty Free right next to the baggage carousels, in both terminals 1 and 3. The allowances are easily findable on the web, but they're fairly standard amounts. https://www.abudhabiairport.ae/en/pa...edures/customs
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Tourists can now buy alcohol at liquor stores in Dubai.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Jordan is largely a secular state, though its population is primarily (and its ruling family is) Muslim. Religious law does not determine civil law, and drinking alcohol is not a social taboo. Liquor stores operate openly and legally in public; you will surely see some in Amman. You can also buy drinks in most upscale restaurants there and in Petra. I don't recall about liquor stores in Petra, but there's probably one there too.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:28 pm

If you want the better stuff, then you will probably be better off bringing it from the UK - either buy from the duty free there or wrap the bottles carefully in bubble wrap / clothes and check it in. AUH arrival duty free is quite expensive for wine, I found, and selection quite limited.

You're allowed up to 5 bottles of wine per passenger, whether you buy it in the UK or upon arrival.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Tourists can now buy alcohol at liquor stores in Dubai.
Yes they can. And you can collect Emirates skyward airline miles on those purchases. For every 3 AED you spend, you get 1 AED point added to your Emirates skywards account by using their new Skywards Everyday App (shopping/dining app), which is different from their regular skyward airline app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.