Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How to unblock messenger calls in UAE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Good day,

Excuse my question but I'm a bit old and I don't really know a lot about technologies. Yesterday I came to Dubai on a 2 weeks vacation with my wife and now we are trying to find a way to get messenger or Whatsapp working since we really need them to check up in our daughters, a friend of mine recommended me using NordVPN, does it work in Dubai? and is it legal to use VPNs at all?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are still ways to make Whatsapp work while in the UAE, but the workarounds to do so for calls are cracked down upon at times and it's a cat and mouse game still. Corporate and government VPNs are tolerated there.

The UAE’s National Electronic Security Authority has had increased cooperation from Facebook (and Whatsapp) and that is to mean a lifting of the ban on calls using Whatsapp. The UAE's telecom regulator is also revising its approach so the removal of the ban may happen in a few months if not even within a few weeks.

My question is what kind of deal Facebook (and Facebook-owned Whatsapp) have been making with the UAE for the UAE's "security" reasons.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
My question is what kind of deal Facebook (and Facebook-owned Whatsapp) have been making with the UAE for the UAE's "security" reasons.
Yeah a few of us wondering about that. One would assume the obvious - no other reason for them to start allowing it.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
It is in theory illegal to use a VPN in the UAE unless you're a company. I think it may also quite complicated to download one from your phone as those downloads may be blocked as well.

If you are able to download it, NordVPN is fine, HideMyAss as well, and should work there.

Workaround everyone is using there: discuss through voice messages on WhatsApp (easy to use), this will work just fine. It's not "live chat" but as close as it gets and still a good way to discuss with voice through WhatsApp.

Hope it helps.
SergeyKulkinov likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:39 am

It would've been great if you purchased a VPN before you moved to the UAE since most VPNs websites are on the blacklist, I used NordVPN and it was really good tool for unblocking apps.
Using a vpn is illegal but most people I knew in the UAE use VPNs so Idk, it's complicated.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

There are at least some senior/favored members of a few of the UAE royal households who seem to be wanting to do things with WhatsApp in the UAE public service arena that it's pretty clear to me that there is definitely a plan for the country opening up to use WhatsApp in the UAE. So I am very confident this is a question of "how soon" and "how" (and not of "if").

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Yeah a few of us wondering about that. One would assume the obvious - no other reason for them to start allowing it.
There is a real possibility that whatever it is that has gotten the UAE to change its approach to WhatsApp may involve a security vulnerability angle to it for the users of WhatsApp/WhatsApp-using devices in the UAE.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Not sure if the below app will help you, but it has just been announced today that it supposedly makes free legal video calls in the UAE.
https://m.khaleejtimes.com/technolog...on-updated-app
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:32 am
Suspended

There is some indication that the UAE and some other governments in Asia that are in bed with the UAE and Saudi Arabia have had a capability of tapping into WhatsApp communications on a bunch of targeted devices for at least much of this year. Don't be surprised to find that this capability was part of the background for the UAE's willingness at the time to consider allowing it too. Perhaps the WhatsApp app update from within recent weeks was used to address the communication security vulnerability but this is definitely an area that is a cat and mouse game when it comes to privacy protections for electronic communication.

About BOTIM, don't be surprised to find that the UAE regulatory framework requirements applicable to its operations may be substantially compromising communication privacy. India had also been looking at doing the same thing that the UAE got done with the help of Israel and has been adjusting its regulatory framework to do the same kind of monitoring and control of electronic communication in India using Israeli assistance. In other words, "the deal" attacking user privacy protection for electronic communications can come from multiple directions and be facilitated by inter-governmental cooperation with or without formal assistance of the big name electronic communication app providers.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:45 am

Using a VPN is legal as long as you're not breaking the law of UAE (for example mocking Islamic religion or the ruling family online can get you in big trouble).
There are few VPN providers that work fine in UAE for unblocking apps and streaming purposes.
mecabq likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:21 am
Suspended

So the UAE approved an app for communication over the internet and here is why and how they used it:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEKnxRp1m4ONyIllI_ES1excqFwgEKg8IACoHCAowjuuKAz CWrzwwqIQY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%

”It Seemed Like a Popular Chat App. It’s Secretly a Spy Tool.”

Not so secret as it was.

https://www.wired.com/story/totok-al...irati-spy-app/

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 2019 at 5:27 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Apple’s iMessage and FaceTime calls work in the UAE, at least for those with foreign cell phone numbers roaming in the UAE. Without publicly known VPN use.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Apple’s iMessage and FaceTime calls work in the UAE, at least for those with foreign cell phone numbers roaming in the UAE. Without publicly known VPN use.
I've been using Skype in Dubai since November when I first arrived. The only time it was blocked was when I was using WiFi at the Howard Johnson hotel in Bur Dubai. It worked at all the Hiltons and the Premier Inn (even though they have a warning on their WiFi page that it's blocked), it still works. My phone is on roaming from T-Mobile (U.S.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.