Cell Phone Data in UAE

Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Cell Phone Data in UAE

Hello,

I'll be in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for a few weeks, and my AT&T International Day Pass isn't available there. AT&T sells international packages, but with small amounts of data (300MB). I'm looking for an option where I can have unlimited data -- or close to it -- for the whole time I'm there so that I can use my cell phone to look stuff up, for directions, etc.

Can anyone recommend any options where I can use my own phone. Are there SIM cards I can buy? Does anyone recommend a certain product or company?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Why don't you switch to Tmobile? I also had ATT but switched to Tmobile about 6 years ago. Free data pretty much everywhere around the world (the only 2 countries where I couldn't use Tmobile free data were Vietnam and Oman).
Forget about switching SIM cards, it's not 2003 anymore. Get Tmobile One plan which includes Intl text and data. Also, when you are on wifi you get free calls to US.
I still don't understand why people use Verizon or ATT as a cell phone providers. And no, they don't have better coverage comparing to Tmobile. In 2003 maybe, but now there is no way.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Why don't you switch to Tmobile? I also had ATT but switched to Tmobile about 6 years ago. Free data pretty much everywhere around the world (the only 2 countries where I couldn't use Tmobile free data were Vietnam and Oman).
Forget about switching SIM cards, it's not 2003 anymore. Get Tmobile One plan which includes Intl text and data. Also, when you are on wifi you get free calls to US.
I still don't understand why people use Verizon or ATT as a cell phone providers. And no, they don't have better coverage comparing to Tmobile. In 2003 maybe, but now there is no way.
ATT has better coverage in my area. I also have employer discounts with ATT. I'm not looking to start a discussion about which carrier is better...I'm looking for specific advice for using my iPhone in Dubai.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
There are two local providers, du and Etisalat. You can buy a SIM card for pre-paid service cheaply (they were actually giving away etisalat SIM cards at airport arrivals the other day) though they need to scan your passport. Both have various packages that change all the time. You can buy a voucher worth a certain AED value at retail shops or recharge online. I presume that some of the packages allow unlimited data for a certain period, like a day.

In general, the packages are confusing and don't always seem to work. I'm sure it's not that complicated but I can't be bothered. I find Etisalat to be slightly more user-friendly.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The tourist sims by Du and Etisalat don't have unlimited data. The most you can buy is 3,5 GB for 110 AED valid 14 days with Du. Of course after that you can refill the data.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Tourists, on arrival to Dubai, can pick up a free sim card from the passport control officer at the airport, according to gulf news.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/dubai-touri...rds-1.64640403

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.