Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Fair price? One-way guided tour of Wadi Rum & Petra starting at Aqaba

Fair price? One-way guided tour of Wadi Rum & Petra starting at Aqaba

Old Sep 21, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Question Fair price? One-way guided tour of Wadi Rum & Petra starting at Aqaba

Just looking for your opinion on a fair price to pay for the following one-day tour itinerary in February, starting from our hotel in Aqaba, Jordan, for two adults plus two kids:
  1. Pick up at hotel in Aqaba - Transfers in private, a/c, new vehicle with English speaking, assisting driver.
  2. Wadi Rum - Entrance fees to Wadi Rum for the adults (7 USD per person)
  3. Wadi Rum - 2 Hours Camel Riding - ride towards the red sand dunes through Rum and Um Ishrin valleys, stop at Lawrence's spring, see the Nabatean inscriptions in Anfashiyeh
  4. Wadi Rum - Rest in the shade of the mountain and have 4 lunch boxes
  5. Wadi Rum 3 Hours Jeep Ride - discover canyons, sand dunes and view more Nabatean rock inscriptions in an old vehicle (no A/C, no seat belt) and belong to the local Bedouin association
  6. Watch the sunset at Little Petra (I've been told that instead I should try to get them to take us to the Siq, which starts from the Dam and ends at the Treasury, to see the sunset, what do you think?)
  7. Drop off back at hotel in Aqaba - Transfers in private, a/c, new vehicle with English speaking, assisting driver.
Rates in USD per person (based on 2 adults+ 2 children)

Rate per adult = $___ USD (x2)
Rate per child = $____USD (x2)
Total Rate = $___USD
Old Sep 21, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
1) Not sure if you realize, but you're basically skipping Petra. Not sure how old your kids are, if they're old/mature enough to appreciate Petra, if they'll hate it and be bored out of their minds and Wadi Rum would be more fun for them, if you're coming from very far away and this is your only chance in a lifetime to see Petra, if you travel a lot / live close enough that you'd be able to get back there in a few years when they're older, etc...

2) No offense, but this guessing game exercise seems a little pointless. You obviously have a quote, and you want to know if it's reasonable. Why not find email addresses for 3-5 other local agencies who have good reviews on TripAdvisor or the like, and email them and ask them how much it would cost for such a trip? That'll tell you how reasonable your quote is.

3) I'm always wary of any agency that quotes these sorts of trips in terms of "per person." It's a psychological trick to make you not realize how much you're paying. Your trip should cost basically the same as as a solo traveler's trip. The only difference is a 2nd adult admission to Wadi Rum, and the cost of lunch (minimal), and wear and tear on an extra camel (a few dollars). A lot of these agencies think they can charge you a much higher price if you tell them you have more people. Sometimes I tell them I'm alone and get a price, and then tell them "oh by the way, my wife is also able to join me, it'd be the same price I assume, right?"
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Anchoring

• The anchoring effect is a cognitive bias that influences one to rely too heavily on the first piece of information received.
  • Stores use it all the time to convince you to buy.
    • MSRP for a new Lexus is $39,999.
    • You negotiated a price for $35,000.
    • You feel terrific, because you believe you got a discount.
    • The anchoring effect has worked, because the actual cost of the Lexus was $30,000.
    • The dealer artificially inflated the price, so you'd perceive you're getting a $5k discount, when in actuality, you paid $5k more than the dealer's cost (they paid Toyota $25k and they need an additional $5k to cover their own brick, mortar, and FTE costs)
While I appreciate members of this Forum might like to start the discussion by seeing the price I've been quoted by the Tour operator, I'm trying to avoid making that quote a psychological "anchor"; I'd prefer to see others post as to what they have found to be a fair price for comparable tours, perhaps based on their actual priors (not to get to Bayesian....)

https://psychcentral.com/blog/the-an...everyday-life/

That said, thanks for re-affirming the point about getting to Petra itself, as opposed to only going to Wadi Rum and Little Petra.
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
My point is that nobody on here is going to know exactly what a good price is for the exact day-trip you're planning, and that the best way to determine what is a good price is to essentially "bid" the tour companies against each other.

There's no anchoring effect if you get 5-7 quotes from different well-reviewed tour companies for the exact itinerary that you want to take. You're simply doing market research so that you can do an apples-to-apples comparison of the different quotes. Once you get all your quotes, pick from among the companies on the cheaper end assuming you think they're not cutting costs somehow.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Sep 22, 19 at 10:30 pm

Search this Thread