FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Jerusalem Airbnb vs 4-5 * hotel for overall safely (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1988183-jerusalem-airbnb-vs-4-5-hotel-overall-safely.html)

sfdweller Sep 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Jerusalem Airbnb vs 4-5 * hotel for overall safely

Hi,
We are a seasoned traveling family headed to Jerusalem over the coming Holidays. Wife is concerned about security in Israel and was prompted by colleague to only stay at 4-5 * hotels in Jerusalem. I was going to book an Air BNB for additional space and since we will be in Jerusalem for 5 days.

Thanks in advance.

RedChili Sep 21, 2019 4:11 am

Both options are perfectly safe. Jerusalem is, seriously, one of the safest cities in the world. The crime rate is extremely low compared to many other major world cities. I've stayed in everything from youth hostels to five-star hotels to AirBNB apartments in Jerusalem and never experienced any problems at all. (Caveat: I usually stay in western Jerusalem. Eastern Jerusalem is more prone to petty crimes like pickpocketing. I've experienced two unsuccessful and one successful attempt at pickpocketing against myself in eastern Jerusalem, so I would also be a bit more cautious about choosing places to stay in eastern Jerusalem.)

LAX_Esq Sep 21, 2019 9:28 pm

I agree with RedChili's post; West Jerusalem is very very safe in terms of street crime. If you can afford a 4-5* hotel during the holidays, you can certainly afford a very nice AirBnB in a posh, central neighborhood.

If by "security," OP means "terrorist threats" rather than pickpocketing, there's no reason to believe that there would be any sort of terrorist threat against AirBnBs.

MSPeconomist Sep 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Four and five star hotels can be a wide range with very different attitudes toward security.

There's a theory that one is wise to avoid hotels that are associated (by name/brand or otherwise) with the USA or anything (else) that could be viewed as objectionable, so if everything else is equal, a Sofitel or NH hotel might be better than a Hilton or Marriott. Others would suggest avoiding places that are associated with elites and celebrities, but these are the hotels that are likely to have the best security.

AirBnB tend to be discreet anonymous places, so they shouldn't be targets of any sort unless they're particularly upscale and prominent or unless there are things that you don't know, such as a well known controversial owner.

fransknorge Sep 22, 2019 9:16 am

Rather than creating a new thread: does people have experience with the area around the National Hotel, on E-Zahra Street ? It is in East Jerusalem, 500 meters north of Herod’s gate. Is it dodgy at night or just an impression ? Also is there restaurants around open in the evening ?

M60_to_LGA Sep 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31550917)
Rather than creating a new thread: does people have experience with the area around the National Hotel, on E-Zahra Street ? It is in East Jerusalem, 500 meters north of Herod’s gate. Is it dodgy at night or just an impression ? Also is there restaurants around open in the evening ?

What do you mean by "dodgy"? As a tourist, I'd think you'd face few risks to your personal safety in the area, but East Jerusalem is very much a Muslim/Arab place, meaning you're far likelier to, say, be hounded by people trying to sell you stuff than you would be downtown.

I don't know that hotel specifically, but I can tell you that the area between there and Damascus Gate is extremely busy, with lots of restaurants and shops (and other hotels - many of them quite pricey!). The Old City also has a lot of activity. One benefit of the location is that you can actually find places to eat on Shabbat, when most of West Jerusalem shuts down. Although even then, the walk from downtown to, say, the Christian Quarter isn't too long.

fransknorge Sep 24, 2019 5:09 am

By dodgy I meant pickpockets activity. I also read that in this part a lot of shops and places closes at 6 PM.
I have never been to Jerusalem (been to Tel-Aviv and loved it) and I am trying to choose between 2 hotels.

M60_to_LGA Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31557281)
By dodgy I meant pickpockets activity. I also read that in this part a lot of shops and places closes at 6 PM.
I have never been to Jerusalem (been to Tel-Aviv and loved it) and I am trying to choose between 2 hotels.

Ah, ok - that gives me a better idea of what you're asking.

East Jerusalem is definitely not where you go if you want late-night activity. It's very much a traditional Arab place. You'll probably find restaurants and hookah bars open later, but if you're looking for a place where you can stroll around at 8-9pm, pop into some shops, grab a drink or an ice cream or whatever - then stay downtown or elsewhere in West Jerusalem.

Also, keep in mind that Jerusalem could not be more different than Tel Aviv. I just got back from Israel after having not been there for several years, and I was stunned how Jerusalem has become more religious than I remembered it. It increasingly resembles a shtetl in a lot of places. It's also a lot poorer than Tel Aviv (which is related).

ArnoldMuller Sep 24, 2019 8:09 am

I think there are no especially bad neighborhoods in Jerusalem, Isreal is totally safe

worldiswide Sep 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 31557721)
Ah, ok - that gives me a better idea of what you're asking.

East Jerusalem is definitely not where you go if you want late-night activity. It's very much a traditional Arab place. You'll probably find restaurants and hookah bars open later, but if you're looking for a place where you can stroll around at 8-9pm, pop into some shops, grab a drink or an ice cream or whatever - then stay downtown or elsewhere in West Jerusalem.

Also, keep in mind that Jerusalem could not be more different than Tel Aviv. I just got back from Israel after having not been there for several years, and I was stunned how Jerusalem has become more religious than I remembered it. It increasingly resembles a shtetl in a lot of places. It's also a lot poorer than Tel Aviv (which is related).

Its all a matter of perspective. Yes jslm is more religious than TA..and there are religious areas. There are also more cars on Shabbat, open movie theaters and restaurants ..and places like the train station which has kosher and non kosher restaurants. I have walked alone in Jerusalem late at night and early in the am..through the old city and around west Jerusalem neighborhoods and felt perfectly safe. Like any city be aware of your surroundings. As to the topic of the post you will get more value from the airbnb and get a taste of local life..4 and 5 star hotels will be very expensive for the holidays and all you will see is tourists. Enjoy your time..jerusalem at sukkot time is the best!

SergeyKulkinov Sep 27, 2019 5:14 am

I went to Israel on Erasmus and I can't recommend visiting the country highly enough, Jerusalem is very safe the only danger you may encounter is war or any military conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.