TVOW at RUH

Old Jun 13, 19, 4:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
Posts: 31
TVOW at RUH

Dear all,

I'm quite fascinated by the fact it is so difficult to get a visa for Saudi Arabia and in addition curious how it is to fly on Saudia. Therefore I'm considering to book some kind of TWOV via RUH. The rules therefore are pretty straightforward: Onward ticket within 12 hours to a third country. Therefore I thought it might be a nice idea to do an itinerary like:

SV120 LHR1040 - 1955RUH
SV211 RUH0150 - 0600MXP

Thereby all TWOV requirements would be met. But I read that SV often changes schedules at short notice or cancels flights. What happens if due to a schedule change my layover would be longer than 12 hours? Don't get me wrong, I'm completely aware that such a long layover can be very boring. However for me it would be worth it since I'm fascinated of the idea to fly London to Milan via Saudi Arabia

Regards
RJ1H is offline  
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
Posts: 277
I don't think there should be a problem at all.
RJ1H likes this.
Nayef is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:26 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
Posts: 31
Can someone be denied boarding for having book a strange looking itinerary? Or is it possible to face extensive questioning upon arrival in RUH?
RJ1H is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
Posts: 277
Not as far as I can tell. As long as you have a ticket for your following flight it should be fine. If anyone asks questions, just tell them it was a cheaper ticket because it takes more time to get to the final destination.
RJ1H likes this.
Nayef is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:03 am
  #5  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by RJ1H View Post
Can someone be denied boarding for having book a strange looking itinerary? Or is it possible to face extensive questioning upon arrival in RUH?
Nothing weird about it. Euro backpackers fly through SA all the time, since they often have competitive fares to SE Asia.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:58 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post


Nothing weird about it. Euro backpackers fly through SA all the time, since they often have competitive fares to SE Asia.
I agree if my intention was to fly something like LHR-RUH-KUL. But as I only want to log RUH and be back on Sunday, as mentioned above, I would like to fly a routing like LHR-RUH-MXP or even LHR-RUH-CDG which might raise awareness indeed.
RJ1H is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:50 am
  #7  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by RJ1H View Post
I agree if my intention was to fly something like LHR-RUH-KUL. But as I only want to log RUH and be back on Sunday, as mentioned above, I would like to fly a routing like LHR-RUH-MXP or even LHR-RUH-CDG which might raise awareness indeed.
Oh, I mistakenly overlooked your desired routing. I'd just tell check-in staff that you're doing it for the miles (if you're not with Skyteam, join now...), or not go at all. Or, wait until you have to book one of the suggested transit routes.

Any airport is a fine one, as long as you can freely leave it.
RJ1H likes this.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BWIADCA
Programs: UA DL HH
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post


Nothing weird about it. Euro backpackers fly through SA all the time, since they often have competitive fares to SE Asia.
I'm yet to see Euro backpackers at RUH airport
ps107 likes this.
bwiadca is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
I'm yet to see Euro backpackers at RUH airport
@RJ1H aims to be a pioneer in this avenue. I look forward to his report.

Last edited by Nayef; Jun 26, 19 at 9:24 am
Nayef is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:45 pm
  #10  
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 5,186
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
I'm yet to see Euro backpackers at RUH airport
Your point? You don't fly enough through RUH.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BWIADCA
Programs: UA DL HH
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Your point? You don't fly enough through RUH.
My point is that I haven't seen single Euro backpacker at RUH Terminal 1, 2 or 5. I've seen people (couples) traveling from SE Asia to Europe, but I haven't seen any typical backpackers.
Oh, and I wish I was flying not enough via RUH...
ps107 likes this.
bwiadca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread