Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Asking those people who know Beirut well

Old Apr 24, 19, 10:05 am
Original Poster

What part of the city should I look to stay in? (I would like be near the nightlife/(bars and clubs)

What are the major/main streets of the area?

What clubs/bars do you recommend?

What are some rooftop venues with a good views of the city?

Food/Restaurant Recommendations?

Finally being an American/US citizen, do I really need to get a visa beforehand to go to Lebanon?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 19, 4:49 am
yno

Programs: FB, M&M, Marriot, IHG, Club Carlson
Regarding the main streets: anywhere in town near Hamra, the corniche, the souk, geymazeh, mar mikhael, etc.
The bar and restaurant scene in Geymazeh and Mar Mikhael is excellent.

As for rooftop bars, I'm not that knowledgeable, however Iris would be one of the top locations.

Also to see, a short taxiride from beirut, are all the restaurants along the waterfront to the North of Beirut. For exemple Punta del Este.

Food? Definitely try a real lebanese lunch/dinner, full of mezze and grilled meat/fish.
Old May 3, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I would recommend staying somewhere near the Gemmayzeh/Mar Mikhael area. Le Gray is a very nice hotel located a short walk from that area (which, by the way, is full of bars and restaurants to choose from depending on what you like to eat and/or drink). As for rooftop bars, Iris is nice (as mentioned) and you also have Sky Bar. Please have your hotel call in advance for bookings. As an American, you do not need a visa for travel to Beirut (it is granted at the airport - basically an immigration stamp). If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Enjoy your stay.
Old May 7, 19, 1:27 pm

I live on the border of Gemmayze/Mar Mikhael, which has a lot of bars. There are some B&B's and hostels in the neighborhood, but if you you want a higher-end hotel, then Downtown may be better. As BEYFlyer mentioned, Le Gray is not a far walk from Gemmayze/Mar Mikhael and is probably the closest nice hotel to that neighborhood. (The Sofitel Le Gabriel in Achrafieh may be closer, but Downtown is livelier and more convenient overall, especially to rooftop bars and the sea.)

I think last summer Iris moved to the Beirut Waterfront (formerly known and still known locally as BIEL), so i don't think it is as high as it used to be. The one time I went to Iris, I also went to Capitole, which is a rooftop of a building near Nejmeh Square and has a view of the Maronite church in Downtown. Le Grey has a rooftop bar too and a tiny rooftop pool. My friends seem to like going to Four Seasons. There are also some in the area across the highway from Gemmayze near the port area. I don't think those are that tall either. There are many, many clubs in the city and surrounding areas, but I haven't gone to any. I usually just go to happy hour and call it a night. Probably one of the most famous is B018 in Karatina.

Souk el Tayeb is a farmer's market in the Souks on Saturday morning that is quite popular where you can grab a tasty saaj prepared by village women. Beirut is also a good place to try Armenian food if you haven't had it before. There are many Lebanese/Armenian restaurants.
BEYFlyer likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pjacqueimo View Post

Finally being an American/US citizen, do I really need to get a visa beforehand to go to Lebanon?

Thanks!
No

Search this Thread