Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Independent travel as tourist to Saudi - KSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Independent travel as tourist to Saudi - KSA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gnargel
Hi!

Assuming that Saudi starts issuing tourist visa's on September 27 as reported, I am hoping to visit Saudi Arabia this October. One of the main reasons I want to visit, is Madain Saleh. I read that it is supposed to be closed till 2020, but that it may still be possible to visit on certain days. Struggling to find more information this, or even someone in Saudi Arabia that I can contact. Does anyone have more information on this?

Thank you,
gnargel
There's a Finnish blogger lady who uses the moniker Blue Abaya and she's been there since the closure was and likely knows some info about it. You can message her on her website or message her through Instagram. Otherwise, I believe they're trying to have the grand re-opening in 2020 coincide with the visa announcement, so stay tuned.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by gnargel
Assuming that Saudi starts issuing tourist visa's on September 27 as reported, I am hoping to visit Saudi Arabia this October. One of the main reasons I want to visit, is Madain Saleh. I read that it is supposed to be closed till 2020, but that it may still be possible to visit on certain days. Struggling to find more information this, or even someone in Saudi Arabia that I can contact. Does anyone have more information on this?
Any reason to think visas will start immediately being issued on Sept 27th rather than just that an announcement is made with visas available for travel at some later date? Not sure if your October plan is realistic...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:24 pm

It is highly possible that if something happens on the 27th, it’ll be an announcement but nothing that’s applied immediately.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Nayef
It is highly possible that if something happens on the 27th, it’ll be an announcement but nothing that’s applied immediately.
Thank you for your input Nayef and LAX_Esq!

And I agree that it is not certain at all that the actual start of the e-visa issuing will be on September 27 (or even that the announcement will take place on that date), but there are some – very unofficial – sources that report that the issuing will start on September 2017:

Arabianbusiness.com: "The plans were first reported by Saudi newspaper Okaz, which said the visas would be issued online or on arrival for a fee of SR440 ($117) starting September 27, citing people it didn’t identify."

gulfbusiness.com: "The move also comes as Saudi Arabia reportedly prepares to begin issuing tourist visas on September 27."

Did not book flights or anything like that yet, just want to be prepared as I was planning on going on a holiday in October anyway and I have always wanted to visit Saudi Arabia!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:13 am

They did report it starting on the 27th, but when it comes to this sort of thing coming from the Saudis, expect any and all things to change. So stay tuned and see what happens on Friday so we'll get the official word.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Any news on this? I am actually going to be in Bahrain Sept 26-28 and have some time to kill. I would 100% get an eVisa and cross into Saudi on the 27th if the program launches and it's possible to process online instantly. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

There likely won't be any news until Friday.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Any news on this? I am actually going to be in Bahrain Sept 26-28 and have some time to kill. I would 100% get an eVisa and cross into Saudi on the 27th if the program launches and it's possible to process online instantly. Thanks!
Hope you get to go tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet the farm on these folk making BIG CHANGES of this sort happen instantaneously.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:55 pm

Take this with an enormous helping of salt (as you should already do with anything pertaining to Saudi), but I got yet another supposed document showing the details for the tourist visa. It's dated July 14, 2019, so there may have been changes to it since then.

In Arabic, it opens with "On Sep. 27, 2019, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will open its doors to the world through inaugurating a tourist visa..."

Of course, there's still no telling if it'll be immediate or if it's just an announcement that will be applied later. My guess is they have an incentive to launch it immediately because Riyadh Season starts in October.

It also shows Group B countries, all the countries not included in the eVisa/visa on arrival list, will be able to get a tourist visa through embassies after providing tickets and proof of accommodation.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:06 pm

Applications start this Saturday.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:59 pm

And look what I saw on TIMATIC when I plugged in a direct flight on Sep. 30th from IAD-JED for a US citizen:

Saudi Arabia - Destination Visa

Visa required.

Visa issuance:

Nationals of USA traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They must:
- have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
- have an address in Saudi Arabia.

Edit: also from TIMATIC via OlympicAir:

/ 27SEP19 / 0126 UTC

Saudi Arabia (SA) Visa Issuance: - Nationals of Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei
Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, China (People's Rep.), Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France,
Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Fed., San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA and Ukraine traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They must: - have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
- have an address in Saudi Arabia. - Passengers with a British passport traveling as tourists can
obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They must: - have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
- have an address in Saudi Arabia. - Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR China) passport traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They must: - have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
- have an address in Saudi Arabia. - Passengers with a Macao (SAR China) passport traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 90 days. They must: - have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
- have an address in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by Nayef; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- have a medical insurance certified in Saudi Arabia, and
Can this be purchased at the airport upon arrival?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Exp
This all sounds very promising! Looks like I may need to decide between visiting a.s.a.p. or waiting till Mada'in Saleh opens again :-)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Please see here: https://visa.visitsaudi.com and here: https://www.visitsaudi.com/en/about-evisa.html for information.

Saudi Tourism Visa

Saudi Arabia is opening its doors to the world through its new visit visa. From 27 September 2019, visitors will be able to obtain one-year, multiple entry visas allowing them to spend up to 90 days in the country.
The new visa system is a historic milestone in opening Saudi Arabia to tourism. International visitors will discover the warm hospitality of Saudi people: our rich heritage, vibrant culture, and diverse and breathtaking landscapes, from the mountains of Abha to the beaches of the Red Sea to the shifting sands of the Empty Quarter.

Visa Eligibility

Tourists from eligible countries can apply for a tourism visa online through our fast and easy-to-use e-visa portal (https://visa.visitsaudi.com) ahead of their trip, or upon arrival in Saudi Arabia through visa kiosks at immigration.
Tourists from other countries should apply for a consulate visa through Saudi embassies and consulates.

Registration Process

Applying for a tourism visa to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is easy. If you are from one of the 49 eligible countries, you can apply through the eVisa website. Other countries need to apply through their nearest Saudi embassy or consulate.

Fees and Validity

All Visit Visas: including E-Visa, Visa-on-Arrival and Consulate Visa:
• Visa fee is SAR 440, including the base fee (SAR 300) and health insurance (SAR 140). VAT and payment processing are additional charges.
• Validity of the visa depends on its type. A single entry visa allows you to stay for one month, while the multiple entry visa allows you up to three month stay in Saudi Arabia.
• Maximum duration of stay is up to three months per visit, with no more than 3 months with multiple entries.

Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TomMM
Can this be purchased at the airport upon arrival?
Medical insurance is a SAR 140 charge included in the SAR 440 eVisa fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.