Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jordan -- Cash or CC for Visa on Arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

In a few weeks I'll be flying to Amman, Jordan, arriving about 10 pm. Are Jordanian Dinar required for purchasing visa-on-arrival, or can I use Euros or a credit card?

Someone cautioned that the ATMs at AMM might not be accessible prior to getting a VOD, or might not be working.

Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:11 pm

On my last trip (a few years ago) there was no access to ATM prior to VOA. There was one moneychanger (terrible rates), so I just changed enough USD to pay for the visa as they wanted JOD only and did not accept CC. Hopefully someone will come along with more recent info.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
In a few weeks I'll be flying to Amman, Jordan, arriving about 10 pm. Are Jordanian Dinar required for purchasing visa-on-arrival, or can I use Euros or a credit card?

Someone cautioned that the ATMs at AMM might not be accessible prior to getting a VOD, or might not be working.

Thank you.
JOD40 in cash (ATM close to immigration) or credit card Amman - Q. about transit visa and hotel for stopover
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can confirm there is an ATM just as you enter the immigration area and they also accept MC and Visa. If you're going to be there for 3+ days and plan on visiting the major sites, check-out the Jordan Pass. It includes your visa fee as well as various admission tickets https://www.jordanpass.jo/
ps107 likes this.

Last edited by cayohueso; Mar 29, 2019 at 1:37 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Can confirm there is an ATM just as you enter the immigration area and they also accept MC and Visa. If you're going to be there for 3+ days and plan on visiting the major sites, check-out the Jordan Pass. It includes your visa fee as well as various admission tickets https://www.jordanpass.jo/
Thank you for the info on the Jordan Pass...it looks interesting. Do you recall how long the line was at the ATM?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:59 am

No line whatsoever at 09:00, Tuesday
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Couldn't get the site to work. I filled in the form and got a message saying "We recommend you to wait for 1 hour, as there might be a delay from the bank's side to confirm the success of your purchase. If you proceed, you may have duplicate purchases issue and you will not be refunded." I click the button to proceed to payment, and another screen displays the information I entered but with no further way to pay. I could never enter my credit card.

Tried over the course of a couple of days, on both Chrome and Microsoft. Same error message, and inability to pay even if I didn't heed it, every time.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
Couldn't get the site to work. I filled in the form and got a message saying "We recommend you to wait for 1 hour, as there might be a delay from the bank's side to confirm the success of your purchase. If you proceed, you may have duplicate purchases issue and you will not be refunded." I click the button to proceed to payment, and another screen displays the information I entered but with no further way to pay. I could never enter my credit card.

Tried over the course of a couple of days, on both Chrome and Microsoft. Same error message, and inability to pay even if I didn't heed it, every time.
I had no issue last week other than the tedium of entering the information for 7 people. They promptly emailed the passes and we were able to enter the country and Petra using our phones. With some foreign purchases, like my Egyptian E-visa, I had one card not work but a different one did. Even though Chase was made aware of a foreign transaction coming it wouldn't work but my Citi did without warning them at all. That may be your issue.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I had no issue last week other than the tedium of entering the information for 7 people. They promptly emailed the passes and we were able to enter the country and Petra using our phones. With some foreign purchases, like my Egyptian E-visa, I had one card not work but a different one did. Even though Chase was made aware of a foreign transaction coming it wouldn't work but my Citi did without warning them at all. That may be your issue.
I never got far enough to enter my credit card. Which browser did you use?

Edited to add: It worked on Firefox. Thanks.

Last edited by mecabq; Apr 1, 2019 at 9:04 pm Reason: More info
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:43 pm

I used Firefox
Old Dec 3, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
We are arriving at 1am. Will the VOA office be open at that time? is that a busy time at AMM airport? Are CC still accepted?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
We are arriving at 1am. Will the VOA office be open at that time? is that a busy time at AMM airport? Are CC still accepted?
of course the VOA office is open, and yes it’s a busy time. Did you consider buying the Jordan pass if you come for tourism ? Much more interesting than buying the VOA and paying all site entry fees.
https://www.jordan-pass.com
asnovici likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Goldorak
of course the VOA office is open, and yes it’s a busy time. Did you consider buying the Jordan pass if you come for tourism ? Much more interesting than buying the VOA and paying all site entry fees.
https://www.jordan-pass.com
Thank you. We are just there for 36 hours so VOA seems an easier option.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Oh, my goodness, what a mess - arrived at Queen Alia at 11:15 PM and had to wait for more than an hour in the visa on arrival and Jordan Pass line. Note that even those who buy the pass online had to wait in the line. Then, the border officer clicked the CC machine (yes, they take Visa and Mastercard) so fast that I got hit with the stupid DCC scam which added 5 extra USD (so stupid since JOD is pegged to USD). Whatever...let's hope my hotel didn't sell my room out from under me :-)

On the plus side, I didn't have to wait at the baggage carousel for my luggage to come out as it was already there.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Noted upthread had 2 web links. One end with dot JO, the other dot com. Is JO the government site? Which one is friendlier to use?

What is the cost of the JordanPass?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.