Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for short trip to UAE and Jordan

Old Feb 28, 19, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I booked a RT flight for late December from the USA to Abu Dhabi using points (Etihad apartments). We'll have 10 days total for our holiday. I'm planning to spend the majority of our time in the UAE. However, I also want to take a quick trip down to Petra, which has been on my bucket list for years.

It would be great if folks could comment on / provide advice on my itinerary. I realize I'm probably not spending enough time in Jordan. However, my rationale is that it's not the best time of the year to visit (i.e., late December / early January). I've also experienced desert landscapes in other places (Southwest USA, Israel, Egypt, etc), so Wadi Rum and some of the other desert destinations in Jordan are not a big priority for me. As such, I'm thinking that I'll do just a quick trip to Petra.

Here's my itinerary so far:
  • Day 1: sightsee in Abu Dhabi
  • Days 2-3: spend two days an hour outside of Dubai at the Al Maha (all inclusive Marriott property in the middle of the desert)
  • Days 4-8: spend four days in Dubai (including New Years Eve). I'm planning to stay the first two days on the Palm (W Palm hotel), and second two days downtown (Grosvenor House)
  • Days 9-10: fly to Amman early in the morning on the first day and drive straight to Petra. Spend the rest of that day and the following day sightseeing in Petra
  • Day 11: return to AUH for our flight home
Any thoughts or advice? Am I spending too few or too many days in a city?

Last edited by Traveler56789; Feb 28, 19 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 1, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
What do you want to do in dubai.. seems like a lot of time.

There a a few things to see in and around Amman..jerash, madaba, mt nebo and the citadel outdoor museum in Amman
Old Mar 2, 19, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
What do you want to do in dubai.. seems like a lot of time.

There a a few things to see in and around Amman..jerash, madaba, mt nebo and the citadel outdoor museum in Amman
Thanks! So you think 4 days is too much in Dubai? Maybe you’re right and we should fly to Amman a day early. That would give us one day in Amman and two days at Petra.

Honestly I’m not sure what I am going to do in Dubai yet. I was just thinking that there’s more to in Dubai vs. Amman since it’s winter in Jordan.
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:52 pm

Again depends what you want to do in dubai..there is malls, tea at the burj al arab, ski d ubai the souks, but not much authentic culture.. the mosque in abu dhabi is amazing and one ofvthe few that anyone can visit..check out attractions in abu dhabi you might want another day there

Jordan is an interesting country, much poorer than its neighbors but interesting historical sights. Jerash is incredibly well preserved Roman ruin.
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Don’t forget the Louvre in Abu Dhabi !
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
...Jordan is an interesting country, much poorer than its neighbors ...
If by "its neighbors" one means oil-rich sheikdoms, then this statement is true - but so is just about every other country in the world. It is certainly not poorer than its neighbors to the north and northeast, Syria and Iraq - and it's a whole lot more peaceful. Do not expect third-world widespread poverty in Jordan. Do, on the other hand, expect some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere, and fairly widespread knowledge of English even outside the standard tourist spots.

Last edited by Efrem; Mar 5, 19 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 3, 19, 9:53 am

Jordan may not have the number of sightseeing sights you may found in Israel, Egypt or Syria.
But so much more than Dubai
After 1 day in Dubai, i got bored but i am not consumerist for one cent. Everything seems so fake as well
Jordan with Petra, wadi Rum, Jerash, Dead sea is much more interesting with really friendly people. In Dubai , good luck to even talk to an Emirati, except the border inpector
On 10 days , i would stay 2 days max in EAU, and go to Jordan
After it depends of course if you are more shopping mall or history /archaeology
But hard for me to see what you would visit in Dubai that you are not able to see in US apart some skyscrapers
Malls are the same everywhere. See, touch, buy. Rarely makes a good memory
Old Mar 3, 19, 6:40 pm

Very well said and what I was trying to say in some of my posts. Jordan is interesting country, much more interesting than d ubai.
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm going to see about squeezing at least another day or two into the itinerary for Jordan and less time in Dubai!
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:22 am

That would be the best choice, good for you
Old Mar 11, 19, 2:06 am

Programs: EY Platinum
If you're flying all the way to the UAE then there's lots closer than Jordan to fill your time with:
- Ras al Khaimah and the Hajjar mountains with simultaneous views across both the Gulf to Iran (on a clear day) and the Indian Ocean
- Fujairah on the Indian Ocean coast, diving or snorkelling with sharks, turtles and whale sharks
- Rub al Khali and the Liwa Oasis in Abu Dhabi, Qasr al Sarab, Al Ain Oasis and Jebel Hafeet
- Sir Bani Yas and Delma Islands in Abu Dhabi
Northern Oman (e.g. Mussandam fjords, Dibba, Jebel Akhdar, Snake Canyon, Jebel Shams, the various forts around Nizwa, Muscat itself etc etc. Plenty to do without flying to Jordan.
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: UA DL HH
I would also cut Dubai to only 2 days and extend your visit to Jordan by 2 days. I've lived in Amman few months and there is a lot of things to see.
Petra for 2 days? I think it's overkill. Full day trip would be enough. Start early in the morning and finish by evening. This will give you enough time to go to the top and have non alcoholic beer in the cave upstairs Then drive back to Amman and the next day go and visit Dead Sea. It's definitely different beach than any other that I've been to.
On day 3 in Jordan you can go to few other places around Amman. Mt Nebo or Jerash. Day 4 spend in the city exploring it.
Dubai is nice, but after couple of days there is nothing to do except shopping and eating. They have definitely really good food places, but if it comes to the sightseeing I would cut it to day or two.
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I was in the Dubai on a similar schedule, but I had 2 days in Dubai and 5 in Jordan. I wish I would've spent all 7 of my days in Jordan. Much more exciting, more things to see and people friendlier.

Spend some time in the Wadi Rum, do yourself a favor.

Search this Thread