Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Security flying to/from TLV

Old Feb 11, 19, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

I am planning a trip this spring to Tel Aviv with my wife and young son. I have heard many stories about extended screening and would like to get some detail as it relates to route planning/timing. We'll be flying from Rome to Tel Aviv then on from Tel Aviv to Athens. I have options of flying Alitalia, Ryan Air, Norwegian and El Al direct from Rome and then oddly enough Alitalia, Aegean and El Al direct from TLV to ATH.

We were interested in a 7am flight from FCO to TLV on Norwegian but were afraid we'd have to get to FCO too early if it involved additional screening. Is it just El Al that performs the additional screening on their flights? When we're leaving TLV are we subject to the extensive screening regardless of airline?

We'll all be on US passports and have traveled to Indonesia many times, Egypt, Malaysia, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I doubt it's enough to throw off any real security concerns but there is the possibility.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jmail1 View Post
I am planning a trip this spring to Tel Aviv with my wife and young son. I have heard many stories about extended screening and would like to get some detail as it relates to route planning/timing. We'll be flying from Rome to Tel Aviv then on from Tel Aviv to Athens. I have options of flying Alitalia, Ryan Air, Norwegian and El Al direct from Rome and then oddly enough Alitalia, Aegean and El Al direct from TLV to ATH.

We were interested in a 7am flight from FCO to TLV on Norwegian but were afraid we'd have to get to FCO too early if it involved additional screening. Is it just El Al that performs the additional screening on their flights? When we're leaving TLV are we subject to the extensive screening regardless of airline?

We'll all be on US passports and have traveled to Indonesia many times, Egypt, Malaysia, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I doubt it's enough to throw off any real security concerns but there is the possibility.
I would advise checking norwegian website for check-in times and any exceptions, for AZ in FCO there isn't any additional security except at the gate where agents randomly might choose you and ask some questions/inspect hand luggage.
And yes, all outbound passengers from TLV are going through security questioning before checkin, I would advise arriving to the airport 3 hours before your flight.
Old Feb 13, 19, 12:05 am

I think I would book this trip as an Alitalia multi-city itinerary.

Outside of Israel, Israeli airline security screening is done for flights operated by Israeli carriers. In Israel, it is done for everyone.

Your travel profile will probably trigger the longer interview, as standard procedure. This takes place before you reach the check-in (bag drop) counters. This means you should be at the airport at least 3 (or even 3.5) hours before departure. Of course, you may get through with a short interview and end up with a very long time to kill at the cafe/sandwich shop in the gate area, but you need to err on the safe side.