Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Security flying to/from TLV

Security flying to/from TLV

Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by RedChili
That's basically because, unlike the security theater of Europe and North America, Israeli security is real security. They realize that water bottles and toothpaste can never bring down an airliner.
Maybe... Or perhaps it's security theater with its own scripts, because they do also seem to think belts and bracelets and even outlet adaptors can bring down airliners, and they paid disproportionate attention to those during our screening.

I'm not a security expert so I don't necessarily want to say any of it was totally useless, but at least some of the procedures in every country I've been through seem like security theater, Israel included, and one can poke fun at, or grumble about, much of it.

BTW, have they in general backed off from the extensive psychological screening they used to do in the past or do they only apply it to selected passengers? For this trip to Israel I really felt the pre-check-in screening was extremely cursory.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Bandicoot
BTW, have they in general backed off from the extensive psychological screening they used to do in the past or do they only apply it to selected passengers? For this trip to Israel I really felt the pre-check-in screening was extremely cursory.
They still do it, "to selected passengers" is probably a good definition, it was never done to *all* passengers.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:07 pm

I would never leave less than the recommended 3 hours. Just because you went through quickly one time,doesn’t mean you will go through quickly the next. Israel has not let up on security. If they did planes would be falling out of the sky. They are highly professional and thoroughly trained. While the casual traveler may think it’s a young man or women asking a few questions they are so much more. Part of the characteristics of their professionalism is,they KNOW what they are looking for and who to spend more time with.

BTW, if your screening takes longer they won’t rush anything. The plane won’t wait. So your choice is loads of time in duty free because things went quickly or watching your flight leave without you. ( and you having to buy a new ticket)

Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta
OK, I bow to the superior wisdom of the forum. I did say, "if there's no rush" less than 3 hours might be OK. I have no idea whether what I experienced was highly atypical or not. FWIW, I'll say that our local friends and relatives (presumably somewhat familiar with the usual situation at TLV) thought that 3 hours was overkill.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:54 am

OK, I bow to the superior wisdom of the forum. I did say, "if there's no rush" less than 3 hours might be OK. I have no idea whether what I experienced was highly atypical or not. FWIW, I'll say that our local friends and relatives (presumably somewhat familiar with the usual situation at TLV) thought that 3 hours was overkill.
It really all depends on whether or not you will be going through "extra" questioning, for most locals the answer is no, for foreigners/tourists it's harder to gauge, and a single experience doesn't say much.
As I am a relatively frequent visitor to TLV (several times per year) I know "my profile" is "safe" and I usually only return the car about 2hrs before, when I fly with Mrs. Ditto or other friends/colleagues I don't take the risk and arrive 3hrs before.

BTW, it's not very different to other airports, in summer time KL advised PAX to arrive 3hrs before to AMS, for me I always arrive 1.5hrs before non-schengen and even less for schengen flights as I know my way around and can use SkyPriority, but if someone else is joining me or I fly non-skyteam airline I might arrive earlier than that (based on my experience of rush hours etc.)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Is there like a VIP terminal or optional service to greatly expedite this process?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Maybe... Or perhaps it's security theater with its own scripts, because they do also seem to think belts and bracelets and even outlet adaptors can bring down airliners, and they paid disproportionate attention to those during our screening.
They don't think it can bring down an airliner...they think it can set off the metal detector.

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Is there like a VIP terminal or optional service to greatly expedite this process?
Yes
https://www.israelwelcome.com/airportvipservice.htm
https://thepointsguy.com/news/vip-ar...vice-tel-aviv/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.