Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Doha- Chances of Upgrade to Club Floor & other questions

Old Feb 8, 19, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

My husband & I are going to the Ritz Carlton Doha in about a week for 5 nights using points. We are both Platinum. Does anyone know what are chances are to get a complimentary upgrad to the club floor? Would it be a good idea to reach out to the GM by email ahead of our stay or just chance it at check in? Anyone have experience with paying for a club floor upgrade at check in? If so, what was the daily cost?

How is Uber from the airport? or getting around in general?

Anyone know a good guide that we could hire for a day?

Any thoughts on cultural experiences or things to do would be appreciated. Thanks for your assistance!
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
My husband & I are going to the Ritz Carlton Doha in about a week for 5 nights using points. We are both Platinum. Does anyone know what are chances are to get a complimentary upgrad to the club floor? Would it be a good idea to reach out to the GM by email ahead of our stay or just chance it at check in? Anyone have experience with paying for a club floor upgrade at check in? If so, what was the daily cost?

How is Uber from the airport? or getting around in general?

Anyone know a good guide that we could hire for a day?

Any thoughts on cultural experiences or things to do would be appreciated. Thanks for your assistance!
I can't answer the hotel specific questions, except to point out that hotels in Qatar are often running at well under capacity, so upgrades might be easy to negotiate.

The Ritz Carlton is a resort style hotel, in a lovely but somewhat awkward location: within your hotel family the Sheraton is very much worth considering: it's a spectacular hotel right on the shore and the corniche in West Bay.

Uber is your best way of getting round the city: rates are pocket friendly and my drivers have always been courteous and helpful. Uber's also the most cost-efficient way of getting between airport and hotel, but an airport taxi won't break the bank. You'll need internet access to book, and the airport wifi can be a pain - so taxi might be the simplest option if you get frustrated by the system.

There's really little in the cultural arena after you've visited the Museum of Islamic Art and the souq. The MIA is a must. The souq is good for browsing, shopping (you can stock up on falconry paraphernalia!) and for eating out, There might be something on at the MIA, so worth checking.

The spectacular National Museum was scheduled to open next month: so you could be among its first visitors.

There are other smaller-scale museums and galleries, but so far none have attracted my attention.

Shopping malls are the fallback resource for most residents, especially in the hot months. At the moment it's still a pleasure to walk along the corniche, but it will soon become unbearably hot to do that.

I suppose a guide might be useful for a first visit to the souq. And he/she might well be able to point to other activities and places to visit inside and outside doha. I'd suggest your concierge as a source of information.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 8, 19 at 6:55 am Reason: adding the bit about the Sheraton

Search this Thread
Search Engine: