Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Points for BOS to Tel Aviv?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all of 'em

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find an answer here or the web. I'd like to use points to go from Boston to Tel Aviv business class (2 people). El Al is the only airline with a nonstop flight. I have 220K United points, 200K AA points, 180K Chase UR points (and a Sapphire Card w/1.5 value for purchasing flights); 140K Amex points, and 50K delta points.

It seems like none of these can be used on El Al? I think the Amex points might transfer directly to El Al, but I might not have enough points for 2 RT business class. Otherwise, is it some kind of complicated thing of transferring points to Qantas and then El Al? I want to go nonstop if possible, and not overpay, but I'm also pretty lazy about complex transfers.

Is a better alternative to use United points on Turkish Air? Or even United? Even if they require a layover?

Thanks for your great ideas!

Last edited by WendyWendy; Feb 6, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This is all moot, unless you have found two Business Class award seats on some carrier on the dates you wish to travel. Have you?

Also, the El Al flight is not "direct"; it is "nonstop." In the airline business, a "direct" flight is a flight with a single flight number that makes one or more stops en route to its destination.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: all of 'em
Thanks-- yes, I meant non-stop. I have found United for 160K miles round trip each-- and I can transfer UR points to get close. Just didn't know if there was anyway to get points to work on El Al. I haven't looked for an award flight on El Al, since I didn't know how to get points to it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WendyWendy
Thanks-- yes, I meant non-stop. I have found United for 160K miles round trip each-- and I can transfer UR points to get close. Just didn't know if there was anyway to get points to work on El Al. I haven't looked for an award flight on El Al, since I didn't know how to get points to it.
You might see if there's a way to check availability of the El Al nonstop with QANTAS miles. But you should also look into whether QF collects cash "surcharges" on El Al redemptions.

Your Amex points can be transferred to Aeroplan for redemption on United and other Star Alliance flights. But Aeroplan charges after cash surcharges on some Star Alliance carriers, but zero surcharges on others (such as United). And both United and Aeroplan offer one-way redemptions at half the price of a roundtrip, in case you need to book three one-ways with UA miles, and one with Aeroplan miles.

Did you verify that the availability you found with United is for Business Class on all segments, as opposed to a mixed-cabin redemption?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended

OP god luck with finding 2 Biz Saver on any carrier, Id say a much better chance youd win the lottery. However you didnt mention when you were looking to travel, there are a few very off peak times when the % is slightly better

My only suggestion is you may get lucky if you split it up say ElAl 1 way and then a different program eg *A the other. Besides UA and AC LX(Swiss) is the only other *A with widebodys to TLV and thats only 1 of the 2 flights per day and due to the timing of the BOS flights youd have to overnight @ ZRH in order to pull it off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.