Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visa on Arrival/TWOV at MCT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I booked an award ticket on TG XXX-BKK-MCT for a friend of mine who is a Thai national.
My friend will probably "miss" the flight to MCT, but it would be great to get on the flight to BKK. ;-)

We'd like to avoid the Omani e-visa fee.
About MCT/Oman, Expertflyer says:

Passengers must have a printed e-visa confirmation.
Visa required, except for Nationals of Thailand with a normal passport traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 1 month.
They must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation or a private residential address with contact details in Oman.
But when I google, I only find that there is no visa on arrival anymore, only the e-visa. So which one is it? (Or actually, will the checkin staff only see what I see on Expertflyer?)

Or should we just go for TWOV?

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours.
They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
Might be the easiest option?
Is there a risk the airport staff won't let him check in/short check his bag if they think the itinerary doesn't make sense?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:43 pm

Are you aware the 10 day e-visa is now available for only 5 OMR (about 13 USD)? I'd suggest getting that to avoid any arguments.

TWOV couldn't help you anyway unless you have an onward ticket to show.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Oh, it is? Thanks! I thought it would be 50$ or so.
But I guess even with the e-visa, this part would still apply:

They must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation
So in that case we might as well go for TWOV?
For TWOV, I thought we'd just book a refundable ticket. Should be safe to cancel as soon as my friend has the BKK boarding pass in hand, I guess?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Oh, it is? Thanks! I thought it would be 50$ or so.
But I guess even with the e-visa, this part would still apply:

So in that case we might as well go for TWOV?
For TWOV, I thought we'd just book a refundable ticket. Should be safe to cancel as soon as my friend has the BKK boarding pass in hand, I guess?
Well it would be safer to do the refundable onward ticket with the e-visa - then you don't have to risk any misunderstanding of the check-in agents about TWOV eligibility, albeit the TWOV option *should* be ok. But I've just seen you mention short-check of bags - how long is the layover in BKK? Unless it's very long/overnight then I think it's very risky to do this with checked bags as I have no idea what TG's policy is on short checking. Moreover if they did refuse to short check, then you wouldn't be eligible for TWOV unless TG were also willing to through check all the way to your 'fake' onward ticket destination!

On your final point, note that 'boarding pass in hand' does not necessarily mean OK to fly. Your friend may be able to check in online and get a mobile/online BP or one from a kiosk at the airport 'in hand' (i.e. before seeing a human agent at the airport) but he won't be able to board the plane unless and until an agent has ok'd his visa status in the system. That's the point at which you could then refund the onward ticket. That check would ordinarily be done at the check-in desk.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:41 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:35 am
Original Poster

It's a 6-8 hour layover at BKK, hope that's enough time for them to allow short-checking.
I guess we'll just do e-visa + refundable onward ticket then to be on the safe side. At least if it's really just 13 USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.