Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping Package from Cairo to USA Question

Old Jan 7, 19, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum

I, unfortunately, left a pair of eyeglasses behind at my hotel in Cairo (Le Meridien Cairo Airport), and need to somehow get them shipped to me in the U.S. The hotel has been completely unhelpful in this regard, but my travel agency was kind enough to at least pick up the glasses from the hotel. I've asked the agency to look into shipping them back, but haven't heard from them in a while.

I wanted to check if anyone has had experience shipping things from Cairo to the US? Ideally, I would arrange for a prepaid shipping label (or, better yet, box) for my agency in Cairo and just have them drop the package in the mail with whomever. Has anyone done something like this? Or, perhaps alternative suggestions? Also, any idea on costs?

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should be able to generate a prepaid Fedex Airbill as a PDF and email that to the TA. The TA can either stick the glasses in a Fedex box and use the label you have sent or, if it does not stock those supplies, arrangements can be made (for a fee) for Fedex to come pick up the glasses.

You will have paid on a US$ credit card, the card number will not appear on the Airbill and everything will appear on your bill. It will cost a minor fortune, so you should evaluate whether it is worth the cost, but it is doable.

The TA should include a note which you dictate in English and Arabic explaining in 2-3 short and simple sentences what the item is and how it comes to be shipped. E.g., "our customer left his glasses at the hotel and we are shipping them to him as a courtesy" (this covers both exit formalities for Egypt and CBP for the US).
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Looks like $100 USD to ship the glasses to me, but the glasses cost more than that, so it might be worth it.

What about the Egyptian post office? Are they reliable and cheaper?
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
If you can wait until April, I'll bring them back and mail them to you. I'm staying a couple of nights there.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cayohueso View Post
If you can wait until April, I'll bring them back and mail them to you. I'm staying a couple of nights there.
Thanks. The way things are going, I may take you up on that offer.