20 hours layover in Doha

Old Dec 29, 18, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
20 hours layover in Doha

I will have a layover in Doha for 20 hours in April.
I can't decide whether entering Qatar then staying at a hotel or spending at the airport with maybe taking one of the transit tours...
My arrival time is 12:20pm then departure is 7: 55am the next day.
My passport allows me to enter Qatar without visa, so it should be easy to enter the country.
I can stay at one of the Marriott (SPG) hotels with points, but I am not sue if it's worth to use my points for such a short stay.
Any suggestions what to do?
By the way I booked QR business seats in/outbound DOH by AA miles, so I can use QR Al Mourjan Business Lounge.
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt, UA PP
With that much time I would certainly leave the airport and see the city.
20 hours is a long time in that lounge.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Dec 30, 18, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
I will have a layover in Doha for 20 hours in April.
I can't decide whether entering Qatar then staying at a hotel or spending at the airport with maybe taking one of the transit tours...
My arrival time is 12:20pm then departure is 7: 55am the next day.
My passport allows me to enter Qatar without visa, so it should be easy to enter the country.
I can stay at one of the Marriott (SPG) hotels with points, but I am not sue if it's worth to use my points for such a short stay.
Any suggestions what to do?
By the way I booked QR business seats in/outbound DOH by AA miles, so I can use QR Al Mourjan Business Lounge.
Don't even think about staying in the system for an additional twenty hours between flights. It's a crazy idea. Your exit from the airport and return are much facilitated by travelling with QR in J. So you'll be out from airside like a shot, then into a taxi or Uber. As you seem inclined to save cash, you could consider the Holiday Inn, usually under $100. It's very comfortable, and even though April is getting hot, its within evening walking distance of the souq for dinner.

If you go for the Marriot, its in West Bay/City Centre, next door to the mall and surrounded by the highest of Doha's high-risers. It's a comfortably flash hotel, but for a one-night visit you might be happier getting some local colour in the souq.
MrJBoy likes this.

Search this Thread