Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Quick advice, please: New UAE requirement to register prescription drugs online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick advice, please: New UAE requirement to register prescription drugs online?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation Quick advice, please: New UAE requirement to register prescription drugs online?

I just read about the (new?) UAE requirement to register prescriptions online before entering the UAE. My wife and I will be passing through Abu Dhabi next week overnight en route from the USA to Kenya, with our prescribed medicines for heart, anti-diarrhea, anti-malaria and anti-osteopororsis. But we don't have print-outs of the subscriptions to submit online - nor do I think we can easily obtain them. (The first three are at least in their original bottles, with the prescription information pasted onto them; I believe the fourth is, but am not certain at the moment.) So a few questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that this rule applies to these kinds of medicines?
2. Any advice on how to deal with the fact that we don't have actual prescription documents to submit online?
3. For those who pass through overnight, go into town for the day or even stay longer on connections, this would seem to deter the many folks who otherwise would fly through the UAE from choosing to connect there, if in fact people have their prescriptions taken away, or are hassled or even detained for not registering. Or am I missing something in seeing it this way?

Thanks for any advice on this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Good luck on this. First is a list of controlled/semi-controlled substances but I’m not sure if it’s not on the list you don’t have to register.
If you’re just taking heart medication I wouldn’t expect an issue* and i just transited AUH last week from EU to USA and had to re-clear their security and was in same terminal (3) though I didn’t go through passport control so still not sure if I was supposed to declare or not. A lot of countries have similar rules so at least they put this in English. Just about everything I could find for Netherlands wasn’t. *Even if you’re taking a few pills of hard stuff with appropriate markings I don’t think they’d care much UNLESS you piss them off for some other reason (like bringing a Star of David) at which point they might start to...http://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Se...IDELINES-1.pdfhttp://www.mohap.gov.ae/Files/MOH_Se...0the%20UAE.pdf
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:41 pm

I learned of this new requirement earlier today and have been scouring the government websites, consular websites and googling like crazy etc.

It would appear this is a very recent change and we can only hope that there is clarification coming. I looked at the form and the userguide and it seems onerous, I dread to think of the chaos this process will cause.

Here are a few links for reference for those who are just learning of this development - the first is from the UK Foreign Office website, the only government website I can find with uptodate info. at present.

Scroll down to Medication on this page
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...GEVikCQWabe6ec

Medication

Some prescribed and over the counter medicines that are available in the UK are considered controlled substances in the UAE and can’t be brought into the country without prior permission from the UAE Ministry of Health. Guidelines on carrying personal medication into the UAE and a list of controlled medicines can be found on the UAE Ministry of Health website.

Following changes in October 2018, the UAE Ministry of Health announced the requirement for all tourists and residents entering the UAE to complete an electronic form to obtain online approval to carry medication for personal use, prior to entering the country. The Ministry of Health has also published a user guide explaining how to complete the application and the supporting documents required. The British Embassy is currently requesting further information on this process and whether it is required for all types of medication.

For more information on controlled medicines and obtaining permission, contact the UAE Ministry of Health directly by emailing [email protected] or calling +971 2 652 0500. If you arrive in the UAE without this permission and the required documentation, the medication will not be allowed into the UAE and you may be prosecuted under UAE law.

The Ministry of Health advise that you can bring up to 3 months’ supply of medication as a visitor or up to 1 months’ supply if the medicine is classed as controlled by the UAE.

Here's a couple of news articles

https://lovindubai.com/news/mandator...cines-into-uae

https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/health...ines-1.2290144
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Just for reference. I generally see this two ways. 1. There are definitely mules that will transit with the maximum amount with the intent to sell. 2. These laws give very easy “probable” cause to scrutinize the heck out of you if they’re looking for an excuse so it domes down to how much do you trust the country you’re transiting...
In the Netherlands, if I translated correctly I could be “caught” with up to 5 pills and if I didn’t have their preapproved (signed by their health ministry before arrival) the penalty was something like 2000 euro (was a graduated scale, first one was free). More than that and I could be charged criminally. The more I read the more nervous I got which I think was part of the point. And the reason I’m giving you all this info on NL is because i still haven’t found all of the details on AUH laws and I was trying to google it before my transit last week. Again, heart medication I think you’re fine but anything mind altering from pain pills to ADHD meds get all the info you can now from your doctor. And yes I’m sure I’m overreacting and I’ve never been to jail but a third-world jail scares me more than a holding cell in NYC. https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/w...nes1/medicines
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Just for reference. I generally see this two ways. 1. There are definitely mules that will transit with the maximum amount with the intent to sell. 2. These laws give very easy “probable” cause to scrutinize the heck out of you if they’re looking for an excuse so it domes down to how much do you trust the country you’re transiting...
Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Indeed I do think it comes down to how much you trust the country you're transiting. And while I don't at all fit the profile of someone the UAE would stop just because of how I look, I don't have great confidence in a given immigration official acting reasonably if for some reason I would trigger their interest or if they simply were in a bad mood. Plus of course, this could really be enforced unfairly against people who do look "suspicious."

I suspect that this will blow over because the UAE's airlines, hotels and even many other businesses rely on it being a travel-friendly place, and this creates such a potential hassle. All it would take would be one story about some poor soul having their crucial meds taken away, or being delayed or detained, for this to cause massive problems for Emirates, Eithad and other UAE entities. But stranger things have happened.

FWIW, here's the discuss thread at Tripadvisor. It contains a bit more information, including that the British and Australian foreign ministries are seeking clarification about this policy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._Emirates.html
MAXII likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: DL,EK
How does this work for an anti-malarial like doxycycline? My doctor here will issue an electronic prescription directly to a pharmacy and I go pick it up. I never see the prescription and the pharmacy is not allowed to give me a copy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.