Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Amman - Q. about transit visa and hotel for stopover

Old Oct 22, 18, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

I will be transiting AMM shortly, on flights that arrive a little over 24 hours between scheduled arrival and departure, but less than 24 hrs between passing through immigration (having waited for checked baggage) and outbound passport control (if I check in well before my outbound). Does anyone know if this will entitle me to use a free transit visa or will I have to buy a tourist visa ?

Are there places to exchange into JD before / after immigration, or even better, a hole in the wall cash machine ?

As my inbound flight will be landing just before midnight and the outbound leaving just after, in a perfect world I would like to find a hotel in central Amman from which I can do some sightseeing, which will take account of my late (probably 1 AM) arrival and give me a room for 24 hours (or at the least, a free 18.00 checkout), rather than booting me out at lunchtime or charging me for a late checkout. Preference would be 5*, but a 4* might do. Are there any hotels that offer this sort of deal (BTW, the 'Airport Hotel' does not look like a suitable option for quality / location reasons) ?
Old Oct 22, 18, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
As I recall from a visit last year, there are cash machines before the visa desk so you can get Jordanian Dinars to pay for your visa. No need to get them before you land.

Can't help you with the question about whether you need a visa at all or with a hotel, though. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt and found it convenient for our needs, but I don't know if they offer the sort of arrangement you need.
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:26 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Did they require a full visa or did they issue a free transit visa during your travel ?
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by jblueflyer View Post
Did they require a full visa or did they issue a free transit visa during your travel ?

I checked wit the Consulate in London before leaving and was told I would need a visa. It seems (piecing it together) that there are only two types of transit visa.

First, if connecting through AMM on RJ with a stopover of between 6 and 24 hrs, but this involves being bussed to the Airport Hotel (a few mins drive away) and one is restricted to the hotel i.e. no sightseeing allowed.

Secondly, if booking a 3 day package tour of Jordan (I think also through RJ).

The visa process was very easy - not even a landing card to complete and no queue at all. Just a matter of paying the JOD 40 fee. They even have card readers on the immigration desks to facilitate the payment process. I got the impression that the Jordanians are well practised at parting visitors and their money !
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:45 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
The visa process was very easy - not even a landing card to complete and no queue at all. Just a matter of paying the JOD 40 fee. They even have card readers on the immigration desks to facilitate the payment process. I got the impression that the Jordanians are well practised at parting visitors and their money !
LMAO !

Also thanks for the useful information !
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:04 am

FF99, if you have to get a visa, the process is easy, as outlined above. The airport hotel is grim. I wouldn't recommend it. I like several hotels in Amman. If you are a member of the IHG rewards programme, I suggest having a look at The Intercontinental Hotel. The hotel is extremely comfortable and reasonable value within an easy walk to popular areas. They should be able to accommodate late check out requests with (or without) status. The limo service to the airport is good value for money. Uber is also great value in Amman.

Search this Thread