Doha - 32 hr layover

Old Oct 8, 18, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF
Doha - 32 hr layover

I have a 32 hour layover in Doha. I'll be travelling with my mum who is in her 80's. She's mobile, but not quick. The flights are award bookings. We're arriving on Qatar in J and departing in F. (I only mention that in case it makes a difference to time spent in the airport.)

We're due to arrive just before 6 pm. Some hotels offer a shuttle. It obviously needs to be booked for a certain time. How long does it take to clear customs in Doha? The onward flight departs at 2 am on the second calendar day after that. Most hotels seem to have checkout around midday, so I assumed we'd head to the airport then. I know that 12 - 14 hours in an airport lounge is a long time, but my mum isn't and won't be interested in touring Doha, and I wouldn't want to leave her by herself there (or anywhere).

Is there an expectation in Doha that we tip? I live in Australia and tipping isn't that big here. As a result, we often don't know how to do it right when we're in other countries.

Any suggestions on how to make things "flow" best would be appreciated.
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by weegraeme View Post
I have a 32 hour layover in Doha. I'll be travelling with my mum who is in her 80's. She's mobile, but not quick. The flights are award bookings. We're arriving on Qatar in J and departing in F. (I only mention that in case it makes a difference to time spent in the airport.)

We're due to arrive just before 6 pm. Some hotels offer a shuttle. It obviously needs to be booked for a certain time. How long does it take to clear customs in Doha? The onward flight departs at 2 am on the second calendar day after that. Most hotels seem to have checkout around midday, so I assumed we'd head to the airport then. I know that 12 - 14 hours in an airport lounge is a long time, but my mum isn't and won't be interested in touring Doha, and I wouldn't want to leave her by herself there (or anywhere).

Is there an expectation in Doha that we tip? I live in Australia and tipping isn't that big here. As a result, we often don't know how to do it right when we're in other countries.

Any suggestions on how to make things "flow" best would be appreciated.

Assuming you are travelling with Qatar Airways, have you looked at the +Qatar option? This gives you one night free in a Doha hotel, or two nights for a total of USD100. The hotels are very accustomed to the odd arrival departure times.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-pl/o...lus-qatar.html

The website suggests you need to make a "multi-sector" booking, but my experience is that any connection in excess of 12 hours works just fine.

Arrival processing can be very fast when travelling in premium classes with QR. But distance can be taxing, so it's really not a bad idea to ditch any notion of embarrassment or "I can cope" and get buggy transport for your mum.

+Qatar doesn't include transport or meals. Hotel shuttle can be a pain (infrequent), but an Uber ride to your hotel is unlikely to top USD10: regular taxi twice that rate. I tip Uber drivers as a sort of policy, but it's a token amount rather than anything special. Apart from that, I never even think of leaving tips, other than loose change when I pay restaurants in cash. So you should feel at home

Much less pleasant travelling on other carriers, but if you have got assistance for your mum you should be directed to a fast immigration channel. No +Qatar will be available, but perfectly nice hotels are available for around USD100 - or less.

The museum of islamic art really is worth seeing if you have the time. It's free, stunningly elegant, and has a neat restaurant. Get the and back by Uber/taxi. It's really the only tourist thing worth the effort, unless you like the idea of an evening in the Souq.
Old Oct 8, 18, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

That sounded like a good idea, but it won't work for me, for two reasons. My flights are award flights on Qatar, but they're booked through Qantas. +Qatar needs to booked through Qatar. Secondly, unless they extended it before the end of the year, it's only for travel until 31st December 2018. My travel isn't until next year. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take your advice on the buggy transport. Is that something I should arrange in advance? Or do I just ask when I arrive?
Old Oct 9, 18, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by weegraeme View Post
Thanks.

That sounded like a good idea, but it won't work for me, for two reasons. My flights are award flights on Qatar, but they're booked through Qantas. +Qatar needs to booked through Qatar. Secondly, unless they extended it before the end of the year, it's only for travel until 31st December 2018. My travel isn't until next year. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take your advice on the buggy transport. Is that something I should arrange in advance? Or do I just ask when I arrive?
Yes, the programme is scheduled only to year end, but the hope/expectation is that it will be extended.

For assistance, I'd get Qantas to put a reference on your booking, then update things at check-in, and it won't hurt to mention it onboard (they can message ahead to coordinate with the airport). Some gates are very close to immigration, others can be a long, long walk (maybe helped by a train ride), while still others are via remote stands and a bus ride. In the latter case, if your mum can make it with comfort onto the bus (J gets dedicated transport) then she should be OK as the bus drops you near(ish) immigration. Keep your eyes open as you'll have to peel off from the general passenger flow (most will be connecting directly).

If you arrive at immigration without a helper, tell the guys marshalling the queues that you need fast acess to immigration - there are some dedicated lines for this.
weegraeme likes this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your help
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:43 am
Original Poster

I'm on my trip now. I'd booked into the Doha Marriott because it's close to the airport. But they're closing it for renovations a few days before I arrive, so they've moved us to the Sheraton Grand Doha Resort which is further away. We have 3 suitcases and hand luggage. What would be the best way to get there? Whether it's by ride share or taxi, I don't know how much to tip. I've never tipped anyone anywhere, as it's not an expected thing in Australia. I assume I tip in cash, and that there would be an ATM in the airport where I could get cash? Do I tip the people in the hotel?
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:35 pm
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I wouldn't tip any of these people unless they did something extraordinary and unexpected for me. However you have 3 suitcases so if someone carries them to the room I guess a small tip might be reasonable.

If you really want to tip you need 1, 5 and 10 riyal notes which you won't be able to get at ATMs, AFAIK. (Coins are only used in supermarkets.) If you were American and felt incomplete without tipping left right and centre, then you could even use US$1 bills, but you aren't so don't.

I suppose you could pay a taxi with a 100 riyal note to get some change (and possibly leave the 1s as a tip), but Uber would be cheaper.
Old Aug 28, 19, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I wouldn't tip any of these people unless they did something extraordinary and unexpected for me. However you have 3 suitcases so if someone carries them to the room I guess a small tip might be reasonable.

If you really want to tip you need 1, 5 and 10 riyal notes which you won't be able to get at ATMs, AFAIK. (Coins are only used in supermarkets.) If you were American and felt incomplete without tipping left right and centre, then you could even use US$1 bills, but you aren't so don't.

I suppose you could pay a taxi with a 100 riyal note to get some change (and possibly leave the 1s as a tip), but Uber would be cheaper.
Thanks, very much.

I don't particularly like tipping. I think that employers should pay their people what they're worth and charge prices accordingly. But having said that, I didn't want to be seen as "cheap". And if people would normally rely on tips just to live, I wouldn't want to be taking food out of their mouths either.

Uber operates in Australia, but I've never used them. I was thinking of using them this time though. I probably won't have any further use of Qatari currency, so I don't really want any left over, and neither do I want to be short. My understanding is that taxis require cash payment, so I thought Uber would be simpler. It doesn't look like either option will be hugely expensive.

Search this Thread