Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TLV airport and Jerusalem connected by high-speed train

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Finally, it seems to be about to open for public use. It’s a decade late to get up and running, but some would say better late than never.

Given the variance in road travel time when going from Jerusalem to TLV to try to catch a flight out of TLV, this should hopefully help make the journey more predictable.
jblueflyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
It's not really open. It's an utter joke. Won't run past 20:00, on Fridays, or Saturday night. Only a couple an hour. It won't be predictable until the train truly launches which will require a competent leadership.
jblueflyer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

Checking the rail.co.il web site, I'm slightly confused by this sentence:

As of the inauguration date of the line and for a 90 day period thereafter, traveling from the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem will be free of charge to any destination in Israel and back – only for those passengers purchasing a trip contract (train ticket) on a personal or semi anonymous Rav Kav card at the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem.
So, the trip is free of charge if you buy a ticket? What am I missing?
allset2travel likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
160 kph is not high speed
Marschel and bebert like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
You still need a ticket to be able to enter/exit the train stations, I suppose purchase is the wrong word to use though.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
Checking the rail.co.il web site, I'm slightly confused by this sentence:

You are "purchasing" a ticket for 0 shekel. Common method in Israel on new train lines (as well as Jerusalem light rail) to make them free for a few months to get people traveling on it before eventually charging the standard fare. But because there are fare gates set up as passengers commencing outside Jerusalem as well as anyone buying a ticket online pay full fare, you need to have some kind of a ticket to get through, even if it's free.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:15 am

From the excerpt quoted by RedChili:

As of the inauguration date of the line and for a 90 day period thereafter, traveling from the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem will be free of chargeto any destination in Israel and back – only for those passengers purchasing a trip contract (train ticket) on a personal or semi anonymous Rav Kav card at the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem

... as I understand it, traveling will only be free for those who carry a Rav Kav (the multi-use public transportation card) and only if they pick up their free tickets in Jerusalem.

I don't know how it actually is going to work, but that's how I am reading those lines.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

L
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
160 kph is not high speed
Compared to existing Israeli train service it isn’t?

100mph is high-speed enough given how long it takes to go by road or any other route unless you make regular use of helicopters to get to the airport.

It’s certainly no maglev like to PVG, but 100mph isn’t a slow-speed train even as it’s considerably slower than the Amtrak Acela service were the Acela to operate at 150mph pretty much the whole way.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 21, 2018 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerTLV
From the excerpt quoted by RedChili:

As of the inauguration date of the line and for a 90 day period thereafter, traveling from the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem will be free of chargeto any destination in Israel and back – only for those passengers purchasing a trip contract (train ticket) on a personal or semi anonymous Rav Kav card at the Yitzchak Navon Train Station in Jerusalem

... as I understand it, traveling will only be free for those who carry a Rav Kav (the multi-use public transportation card) and only if they pick up their free tickets in Jerusalem.

I don't know how it actually is going to work, but that's how I am reading those lines.
Correct
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It's not really open. It's an utter joke. Won't run past 20:00, on Fridays, or Saturday night. Only a couple an hour. It won't be predictable until the train truly launches which will require a competent leadership.
It's open enough for now: FINALLY!!!! TLV-Jerusalem railway is up and running!!!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:21 am

The train from the airport to Jerusalem is "up and running" but only for those with personal "Rav Kav" magnetic cards, which means that tourists currently can't buy tickets. I took the train last week and the good news is that the trip takes only 22 minutes!!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbgg
The train from the airport to Jerusalem is "up and running" but only for those with personal "Rav Kav" magnetic cards, which means that tourists currently can't buy tickets. I took the train last week and the good news is that the trip takes only 22 minutes!!
I took the train last week several times, and I saw a few people who boarded at the airport with paper tickets and were speaking to the staff in English. My assumption is they were tourists.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
Terminal 3 arrivals’ Public Transportation Information Center has a Rav-Kav service that sells them. There is the staffed window and also the self-service kiosk right next to the staffed window. Works fine for tourists.

https://www.gov.il/he/Departments/ne...y_of_transport
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Mariott SE, HH, SPG SE, LT S, 9W BP
Wow, Im definitely using this when Im back in Jerusalem. Getting to TLV and back within a predictable time window is next to impossible. We almost missed our flight last time around.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jblueflyer
Wow, Im definitely using this when Im back in Jerusalem. Getting to TLV and back within a predictable time window is next to impossible. We almost missed our flight last time around.
Keep in mind that until the trial period finishes, it still doesn't run at night or on Friday
jblueflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.