Egypt / Jordan Summer 2019 feedback

Old Aug 26, 18, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP
Egypt / Jordan Summer 2019 feedback

Hi,

Some of my friends think I'm out of my mind for planning a trip during peak summer season, which we all know it means "OVEN" in Middle East. I am planning to do 2 weeks in both countries, Egypt/Jordan.

I know it's going to be very HOT but I would prefer to avoid busy tourist seasons and it fit my schedule pretty well. I would use AA 70k to take advantage of Qatar's Qsuites even it mean a night in Doha before doing DOH-AMM-CAI due to Qatar blockade.

7ish day in Egypt and other 6-7 days in Jordan will be sufficient enough? I am going to places that will satisfy my history geek side I am thinking about visit Cairo/Giza, Luxor/Aswan, and maybe Hurghada for a week.

I will probably use avios on CAI-AMM RJ flight since paid fare is pretty expensive. I will visit usual suspect sites such as Dead Sea, Petra (1 or 2 nights), Wadi Rum, and maybe some roman ruin sites near Amman before going home.

I will likely to travel solo so any feedback will be appreciated, especially recommendations on Hilton & Marriott properties in Jordan/Egypt.
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I've stayed at the Marriott in the Dead Sea and it's probably the nicest of the properties. Everyone is nice, the resort is large enough and the pool is big enough and they got that little shuttle thingy. It was never crowded int he 4 times I've been.

I stayed at the Marriott Petra once and while it was nice I much preferred the Movenpick because it's right across the street from the entrance to petra itself. And after a day of walking in the heat, you will appreciate it.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 18, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP
Thanks for feedback on Marriott Dead Sea. I'll likely to decide between Hilton and Marriott Dead Sea. Probably going to stay there for 1 or 2 day, since it seems nothing much else around resorts other than Dead Sea.

I wonder which place is generally better for snorkeling or obtain scuba diving certificate - Hurghada or Sharm el sheikh.
Old Sep 2, 18, 3:16 pm

I have stayed at the Marriott, Petra hotel when visiting Jordan several years ago. I chose it as it had an outside swimming pool but it was closed when we were there It is a taxi ride way from Petra. or a four mile walk. The situation is stunning with beautiful mountain views. The hotel was small and basic - chosen for one night only. It was very inexpensive. We used cash, not points for this. The Dead Sea - we stayed at the Kempinski for a week, can't help you with Hilton there. The villa at the Kempinski was right on the dead sea and beautiful. If you decide to look outside Hilton, check it out.

In Egypt, The Luxor Hilton has a beautiful location - right on the Nile. It has a shuttle bus service into town. I like some things about this hotel very much. It's also close to Karnak temple. The Ramses Hilton is central. I wouldn't stay there as there are better choices but it is a useful base. In Cairo, Marriott have better properties. It depends what you want from a locational point of view. Le Méridien - Cairo Airport - Club rooms are great rewards value and perfect for a one night stay before a flight. I like this hotel.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Sep 2, 18 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by washeelers747 View Post
Thanks for feedback on Marriott Dead Sea. I'll likely to decide between Hilton and Marriott Dead Sea. Probably going to stay there for 1 or 2 day, since it seems nothing much else around resorts other than Dead Sea.

I wonder which place is generally better for snorkeling or obtain scuba diving certificate - Hurghada or Sharm el sheikh.
Aqaba is good for diving.

Search this Thread