Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt: Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary (CAI & LXR)

Egypt: Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary (CAI & LXR)

Old Aug 21, 18, 2:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 562
Question Egypt: Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary (CAI & LXR)

  1. Looking for helpful feedback on a proposed 5-night itinerary to Egypt in mid-October for two adults and two boys (5 & 7).
  2. Coming out of Europe; will be our first time in Egypt.
  3. Your own personal experiences and guidance are appreciated!!!
  • Tuesday
    • Arrive LXR via CAI @ 6 pm
    • Careem to the Hilton Hotel and check-in, arriving at ~7pm
    • Tour the Karnak and Luxor temples from 8-10 pm
  • Wednesday
    • Sleep in, hit the pool
    • Ferry across the Nile from the Hilton at lunchtime (can the Hilton arrange a ferry?)
    • Spend 5 hours (12 noon - 5 pm) on the Valley of Kings, temple of Queen Hatshepsut and Colossi of Memmnon
    • Ferry back to Hilton hotel at sunset ~5:15 pm
    • Dinner recommendations?
  • Thursday
    • Careem to the LXR airport and fly to Cairo at ~6 a.m.
    • Careem from CAI across town to the Hilton Pyramids Golf and check-in
    • Tour pyramids and Sphinx in Giza all day/afternoon/evening
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Friday
    • Check out of hotel and Careem over to Hilton Conrad
    • Tour Grand Egyptian Museum
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Saturday
    • Check out and Careem over to W-A Heliopolis Towers
    • Grand Bazaar
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Sunday
    • Fly home @ 3 am via DXB

Last edited by IAATM; Aug 22, 18 at 3:01 pm Reason: revisions based on feedback
IAATM is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 11:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,392
I recommend Lady Egypt who are an Egyptian tour company. Their prices were amazing and they would tailor something for you even if you just wanted transport. They were a fraction of the price compared to other tour companies.

The pyramid and sphinx visit seems too long.

I wasn't so fussed with Saqqara but definitely do the museum. It is amazing to see how many treasures came out of King Tut's tomb.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:02 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,130
Unless you are something a of an archaeology/history geek, ditch Saqqara.

Engage guides. They are not expensive, keep a lot of hassle away and tell you stuff. Just don't be afraid to tell your guide what you want to see and what you want to hear - otherwise there's a tendency to open the taps on three years' training in Egyptian history and iconography.

Arriving at 6pm, hotel by 6:30pm at Karnak by 7:30 seems a tad ambitious!

I don't know how Uber and Careem operate in Luxor, but I'd be prepared for a bit of light chaos at the airport. You'll probably need a SIM card - don't depend on the airport's Wifi!
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 12:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Unless you are something a of an archaeology/history geek, ditch Saqqara.
I actually found saqqara worthwhile. (the beer right? ) After seeing so many other standard Pyramids, it was a bit of a unique oddball.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Engage guides. They are not expensive, keep a lot of hassle away and tell you stuff. Just don't be afraid to tell your guide what you want to see and what you want to hear - otherwise there's a tendency to open the taps on three years' training in Egyptian history and iconography.
No kidding about facts and info being pushed hard. At one point I just told my guide to stop telling me things unless I asked.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Arriving at 6pm, hotel by 6:30pm at Karnak by 7:30 seems a tad ambitious!
Maybe the next day?
rivlinm is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:00 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 562
Thanks! I've tried to incorporate your feedback in the OP, by editing it above.
  • Can the Hilton arrange for a ferry across the Nile in Luxor?
  • Is there anything else we should try and make time to see in LXR or CAI?
  • Do we have too much planned or too little?
  • Any dining recommendations?
Why get a SIM card? Won't the international roaming plan work on my existing SIM card in Egypt?
IAATM is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:36 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,130
Originally Posted by IAATM View Post
Thanks! I've tried to incorporate your feedback in the OP, by editing it above.
  • Can the Hilton arrange for a ferry across the Nile in Luxor?
  • Is there anything else we should try and make time to see in LXR or CAI?
  • Do we have too much planned or too little?
  • Any dining recommendations?
Why get a SIM card? Won't the international roaming plan work on my existing SIM card in Egypt?
Everybody can arrange everything (for a price) in Luxor. I'd suggest you take the easy route and join a tour, or commission a guide/agency to put a one-day or a half-day tour together for you. The concierge should be willing (happy!) to do this - but it will carry an extra layer of expense...

Of course thete are other things to see and do in Luxor, but you are constrained by a short time in Egypt. Much in Egypt operates under what visitors see as a regime of (slightly) organised chaos: in fact things do work, though not always to time, and not always in the way you expect. So don't be upset if your plans, particularly the timings, fall apart just a little.

Egypt isn't in my "roaming" plan. Using data in Egypt would cost an arm and a leg, so I have to get a local SIM. This coloured my advice to you: I suggest you check with your provider the availability of, and charges for, calls and data in Egypt. Then at least you wont get a nasty surprise when you return home.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 26, 18, 3:14 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,130
Also please don't try not to do so much each day. My 8 & 10 yr olds were ok with just pyramids one day and Egyptian museum the other day. Ok it was 35-40C in August but your plan sounds very rushed. Egypt has been around for 4000+ years, I'm sure you can come a second time to do the other things when they are older.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Aug 26, 18, 9:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
Posts: 781
When to arrive at airport?

Egyptair recommends getting to the airport 2 hours before departure on domestic flights. For real?

We depart CAI at 10:15p and later depart LXR at 6:20p. How early should we arrive?
eethan is offline  
Old Sep 2, 18, 8:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by IAATM View Post
  1. Looking for helpful feedback on a proposed 5-night itinerary to Egypt in mid-October for two adults and two boys (5 & 7).
  2. Coming out of Europe; will be our first time in Egypt.
  3. Your own personal experiences and guidance are appreciated!!!
  • Tuesday
    • Arrive LXR via CAI @ 6 pm
    • Careem to the Hilton Hotel and check-in, arriving at ~7pm
    • Tour the Karnak and Luxor temples from 8-10 pm
  • Wednesday
    • Sleep in, hit the pool
    • Ferry across the Nile from the Hilton at lunchtime (can the Hilton arrange a ferry?)
    • Spend 5 hours (12 noon - 5 pm) on the Valley of Kings, temple of Queen Hatshepsut and Colossi of Memmnon
    • Ferry back to Hilton hotel at sunset ~5:15 pm
    • Dinner recommendations?
  • Thursday
    • Careem to the LXR airport and fly to Cairo at ~6 a.m.
    • Careem from CAI across town to the Hilton Pyramids Golf and check-in
    • Tour pyramids and Sphinx in Giza all day/afternoon/evening
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Friday
    • Check out of hotel and Careem over to Hilton Conrad
    • Tour Grand Egyptian Museum
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Saturday
    • Check out and Careem over to W-A Heliopolis Towers
    • Grand Bazaar
    • Dinner recommendation?
  • Sunday
    • Fly home @ 3 am via DXB
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I recommend Lady Egypt who are an Egyptian tour company. Their prices were amazing and they would tailor something for you even if you just wanted transport. They were a fraction of the price compared to other tour companies.

The pyramid and sphinx visit seems too long.

I wasn't so fussed with Saqqara but definitely do the museum. It is amazing to see how many treasures came out of King Tut's tomb.

+1 for lady Egypt tours. Fantastic service and extraordinary value for money. Meet and greet at CAI, transport to hotel, roses for the ladies, private tours in air conditioned comfort with superb guides. All at you own pace and if you have had enough. They’ll take you back to your hotel.

My my family and I used them in May 3 days including airport transfers for less than $500. Worked out about £25/day each

Saqqara was interesting and quiet. Access to a tomb is also easier and cheaper.
binman is online now  
Old Sep 3, 18, 2:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Paris-FRANCE
Posts: 174
  • "Spend 5 hours (12 noon - 5 pm) on the Valley of Kings, temple of Queen Hatshepsut and Colossi of Memmnon"
awfully short......
Memnon: 1/2h ok
Hatshepsut site is rather big and one hour is necessary
2.5h in the vally of kings with 3 tombs tickets

=> i would stay longer
I would cut one day in CAI and try to see ASW instead, back to CAI then
even if there are much more to "see" in LXR, ASWAN is another sie of Egypt, and more beautiful IMHO
Anyway, you ll love Egypt and you ll come back at some point
bebert is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:25 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 562
Lady Egypt Tours

Originally Posted by binman View Post
+1 for lady Egypt tours. Fantastic service and extraordinary value for money. Meet and greet at CAI, transport to hotel, roses for the ladies, private tours in air conditioned comfort with superb guides. All at you own pace and if you have had enough. They’ll take you back to your hotel.

My my family and I used them in May 3 days including airport transfers for less than $500. Worked out about £25/day each
Thanks! I've contacted Lady Egypt Tours three times now, and am having problems getting anything more than a boilerplate reply...…...I've asked Lady Egypt specifically to help me arrange a private tour for my spouse and kids along the following lines:
  1. Tuesday: Meet tour guide at Hilton Hotel & tour the Karnak and Luxor temples from 8-10 pm
  2. Wednesday: ​ Meet at Hilton Hotel at 12 noon, ferry across the Nile from the Hilton after lunch​, spend the afternoon in the Valley of Kings, Temple of Queen Hatshepsut and Colossi of Memmnon, ferry back to Hilton hotel in the evening for dinner
and their canned reply continues to be:
Early morning after breakfast, move from the hotel to west bank via ferry 07:00 am – Lunch after visit, back to hotel for refreshment time.Afternoon move from the hotel to visit Luxor and Karnak Temple, and back to the hotel.This is the best program, and it will give your clients time to relax on arrival day , and giving the clients enough time at their visits.In case of 10 pax, rate will be 78 $ ( Transportation – English Speaking Guide – Lunch at Oriental Restaurant – Ferry at the nile – All Entrance Fees ).In case of 20 pax, rate will be 65 $ ( Transportation – English Speaking Guide – Lunch at Oriental Restaurant – Ferry at the nile – All Entrance Fees ).

So again fellow FT'ers, I'm trying to book for my spouse, kids, and me - not my clients......and I'm not asking for lunch at an Oriental restaurant...….and my family certainly doesn't consist of 10 or 20 pax.

I get that I'm not the target audience of Lady Egypt's business in Luxor, they apparently target their services at large groups and bus them around - and that's totally cool. I just want to try and find somebody in Luxor who can (and will) engage me in a dialog about an itinerary, and help guide my family and me around the sites.

Last edited by IAATM; Sep 5, 18 at 5:25 pm Reason: page breaks
IAATM is offline  
Old Sep 8, 18, 6:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Phuket
Posts: 66
Try Memphis Tours, they cover everywhere but sell individual private tours and will adapt to fit your requirements.
Cyan123 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 18, 2:49 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, UAL 1K, SWA A-Preferred/ Companion, Alaska 75K (matched), Delta Silver (matched)
Posts: 43
We are planning a trip mid-November with a 9 and 12 yo. I have had great communication and prices with Djed Egypt. Easy payment, and they appear to be very flexible with changes.
Website: www.djedegypt.com
Sister Companies – Just So Egyptian
Nile Dahabiya Boats: Authentic Sailing Experience – www.nile-dahabiya.com
Sofra Restaurant & Cafe: The Taste of Egypt – Sofra, The taste of Egypt

They sent an itinerary and we went through a few revisions. They were cool with me booking all flights and hotels, and gave a few recommendations. We are staying at the pyramids and, like you, moving to a hotel close to the museum. Marriott mena house and then the RC, but yes, the Hilton Luxor for sure!
ryno is offline  
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Unless you are something a of an archaeology/history geek, ditch Saqqara.

Engage guides. They are not expensive, keep a lot of hassle away and tell you stuff. Just don't be afraid to tell your guide what you want to see and what you want to hear - otherwise there's a tendency to open the taps on three years' training in Egyptian history and iconography.

Arriving at 6pm, hotel by 6:30pm at Karnak by 7:30 seems a tad ambitious!

I don't know how Uber and Careem operate in Luxor, but I'd be prepared for a bit of light chaos at the airport. You'll probably need a SIM card - don't depend on the airport's Wifi!
Where do you arrange your guides?
tobikosan is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 1:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 112
DELETED: Tired, didn't realize this is an old post.

Last edited by LeapingFrogs; Mar 27, 19 at 2:35 am
LeapingFrogs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread